News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have fitment issues with BE&A Dash Bezels?

Started by 440, November 08, 2012, 05:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I finally started putting my dash back together and must say that I'm a little disappointed with the fitment of the gauge cluster bezel. For the price of these things I would have expected slightly better. The edge that meets the radio bezel is off and doesn't quite line up square. The old bezel fits fine and lines up perfectly with the radio bezel. I could shave the edge of the radio plate so it "looks" right but I'm not terribly happy with that idea. I may just stick with the old cluster bezel.

Anyone else have any fitment issues ?

Ghoste

I thought there were complaints about the pads but I can't remember issue swith the bezels.  Not too surprised though.

Dino

I know someone else had a fitment issue with them as well but can't remember who.  I opted to redo mine instead and am quite happy with them.  Like you said, no fitment issues with the original ones.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

My radio bezel is off just a bit as well. Not enough that I would send them back but it is off just a tad. I still am very happy with them though. They do look great.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

FJ5WING

I dont think any reproduction part is going to be perfect! unless the original tooling is used Im not sure how its possible.

having said that....I bought the whole dash kit and had zero fitment issues.

Dino, When say you redid your bezel do you mean you repainted it or had it rechromed and then painted?
wingless now, but still around.

Dino

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 10, 2012, 09:32:59 AM

Dino, When say you redid your bezel do you mean you repainted it or had it rechromed and then painted?

I rechromed it myself with a two stage paint and then redid the black and the lettering.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86736.0.html

It's a cheap and easy to way to make it look good.  When I planned on painting chrome, I thought I'd have to live with something that was not quite as nice as stock, but honestly it looks almost identical and I never look at it thinking it's paint.

Silver R/T

Aftermarket parts suck, it's better to redo original parts
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69 OUR/TEA

I remember them not fitting as good as the originals to around the radio area .The bezel above the glove box on mine needed to have 2 studs ground off.I'm going to send out my orig ones from my R/T SE for rechrome ,as you don't see the black area with lettering anyway,just the chrome banding because the woodgrain panels cover them all.

Brock Lee

Yeah, I got them when they came out and there was problems with fit. I think mine kind of sat more raised than it should by the headlight switch. The radio bezel sits kind of crooked too.

For $345 - $455 you'd think they'd be pretty close at least. I'm finding out slowly that repro stuff across the board isn't as good as original. Unless you physically don't have something get your originals re-done.

Ghoste

Its always a tough call isn't it.  You just everything to look as good as it can and logic tells you that new should look best.  The learning curve of the hobby.

JB400

It costs just about as much to redo an old one as it does to buy a new one don't it? :shruggy:

Ghoste

FJ5WING

I guess I got lucky with my BEA bezels????...I had no fit issues at all!! :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 17, 2012, 11:05:39 AM
I guess I got lucky with my BEA bezels????...I had no fit issues at all!! :shruggy:

Ive used 3 sets now too. And even though on the set from my black 68 I had to ream the mounting holes on the dash to fine tune the fit I have been very satisfied.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Ryan

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 17, 2012, 11:05:39 AM

Same here. They fit great for me.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

johnnyseville

I am tempted to order a set.  Will have to contact them and make sure they accept returns, hopefully they take PayPal.
too many to list!

Charger 1

If your car still has bezels and they aren't broke, send them to David at Performance Car Graphics: http://www.performancecargraphics.com/.  He does absolutely TOP NOTCH work.  He will even repair broken ones - it just costs more.  I initially ordered the ones from BEA.  Out of the box, they looked great.  But as you look closely, you will notice that the coverage of the black paint isn't uniform.  You can see small areas of chrome showing through the black paint.  And speaking of paint, it is never a good idea to paint over chrome plating.  The paint starting flaking off in small areas.  I spoke with Mike @ BEA and he told me there was nothing he could do.  That's when I found out about David @ Performance Car Graphics.  Call him - you won't be sorry.

Dino

Quote from: Charger 1 on November 28, 2012, 12:40:07 PM
The paint starting flaking off in small areas.  I spoke with Mike @ BEA and he told me there was nothing he could do. 

???

I've done this in the past.  I scuff the chrome to be painted and use an adhesion promoter, never had one flake.  This is painting 101.

Ghoste

Is that for real chrome or the stuff they use to plate interior plastic parts with Dino?

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2012, 01:02:16 PM
Is that for real chrome or the stuff they use to plate interior plastic parts with Dino?

Vaccum plating.  You can actually sand it right off if you want.  When I do this I first make a cut in the chrome with a sharp knife to create a border and thus preserve the chrome I want to keep.  That way you can't accidentally chip the chrome that needs to stay.  For the bezels it's real easy as all you have to do is let the knife slide along the crease seperating the flat part from the protruding edge.

For the real stuff you need to remove all of it.  Either by acid dipping or simply sanding thorough the 3 layers to get back to bare steel.  There are ways to paint over chrome but it's a band aid, best to get rid of it and start over.

Ghoste

With the plastic metallized stuff, what are you using as a paint to meet up with the stuff you want to keep?

Dino

First thing to do after sanding and degreasing is masking the chrome edge.  I like to overlap by a hair, not enough to show that you covered chrome with paint, but enough to just overlap so you seal the edge.  I use plastic adhesion promoter, two dust coats, followed by a plastic primer, one dust coat and two wet.  Let dry, sand and finish off with SEM trim black.  The SEM stuff is so good that the adhesion pronmoter may even be overkill, but I'm not going to find out.  One spray can will last you a very long time.

Ghoste

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Are you using something to simulate the plated look and if so, how is the finished product?