News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disassembling front suspension and brakes...

Started by dodgecharger-fan, August 05, 2005, 06:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgecharger-fan

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Disassembling front suspension and brakes...     

I've got the FSM.

It looks straight forward enough to follow along.

The question I have is: What the heck do you use to loosen the bolts?!?

I soaked them with liquid wrench several times.
I've tried:
an impact wrench - nothing.
Breaker bar with a cheater on it - nothing. Well, I actually moved the whole front end, but the bolt didn't even squeak.

Should I heat them up?

Any other ideas?

I should mention that the entire front end is off of the car.

I'm going to rebuild everything on the front end. So I'm not worried about burning paint or anything else...

The first pieces I'm working on are the brake caliper mounting bolts - if that matters.

Thanks.

palindromes

I alway figured the impact wrench was the ultimate for breaking bolts loose, but have sometimes found if I whale on the breaker bar with a big hammer it'll break 'em loose even easier. 

You could heat up the knuckle/spindle to try & break the caliper bolts loose but I wouldn't go that route with the stamped parts (control arms) since they're liable to bend.

I'm probably not much help here, but if you stay at it I'm sure you'll get it.

firefighter3931

Heat them up Dave, then throw the impact on them while they're still red.  ;)

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dodgecharger-fan

Thanks for the ideas...
I tried the hammer idea too, actually. It does work on some stuff. I've used it many times. No go with these...

To be honest, the heat idea didn't cross my mind until I was typing in the question.

I will try it today and post an update.