News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK, opening a can of worms, but, What is so Great about the General Lee?

Started by johnnyseville, November 20, 2012, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

It's a 2nd gen Charger. :shruggy: Does it really matter what outfit a beautiful woman wears?

JB400

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 20, 2012, 01:34:00 PM

The show sucked, the wannabe clones reflect a lack of imagination.

Written like an old curmudgeon without any sense of humor.

I loved the show. I didn't give a dang about Daisy. For me it was about the car and the stunts...mostly. When the scab Dukes rolled it, I tuned out and didn't come back. I eventually did see the final episodes on DVD when they came out.
The car? Ahhhhh....To some it is a symbol of their youth, when they sat in front of the TV and saw a car do some pretty magical things. It is the most famous and recognizeable American car to date. I vowed to own a 68-70 Charger one day as a result of the show. I  started driving in a Dodge, went Chevy for some time but came back. In March of 2000 I bought my 70 Charger. I never had any intentions of building a GL car. Mine is red with a black BB stripe.
I can see why people still love these cars, but I love the Charger more than the General.

greenpigs

I have said it a few of the other GL threads. Yes I wanted a 69 Charger because of the show but not a GL clone. I just never could get over the brush guard  :eek2: & orange color.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

1974dodgecharger

Whats so great about a 1970 charger in a fast and furious movie  :icon_smile_big:

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 21, 2012, 03:43:18 AM
Whats so great about a 1970 charger in a fast and furious movie  :icon_smile_big:

Answer: Somebody prolly took it and painted it orange with decals on it. :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

It's a toy, a memory of one's dreams of youth and there's nothing worng with that.  It'll attract more people than any other car because it's famous, that's it, there's no mystery here.  If there was a green hemi charger in a famous tv show then everyone would want that one.

What I don't understand is all this talk about family values and good moral. Sure they were helping those in need but they way they did it was a bit odd.  These were two unemployed dipsticks that were on parole because of moonshining and couldn't leave the county.  Because of that they carried bows and boom boom arrows in the trunk and had a pocket knife on their belt instead of a gun.  They also spent most of their time speeding, flying around corners, missing pedestrians by a hair yet these are all family values huh?  That explains a lot actually....  :lol:

When the show is one I sometimes catch myself watching the GL drift but I need to leave the sound off in case someone opens hisor her mouth.  Daisy was always fun to look t but she can't act to save her life.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

johnnyseville

Quote from: rebby on November 20, 2012, 12:05:04 PM
I'm building a General Lee for my kids. Simply put, my kids (9, 6, & 2) LOVE the General Lee. They love the idea that we have a GL project in the garage. They love the idea that they get to help work on the car and build it into a GL. Building one of my 69's into a GL has excited my kids and motivated them to become part of the restoration process. That alone has justified every penny that goes into the project.

I like this answer, so far this is the only reason that would compel me to make a GL clone, though I am sure when they grow up at some point they may want to convert it again.
too many to list!

The General Lee is one of the few things that appeals to people of all ages. Even kids too young to have seen any DOH at all still go nuts over current toys.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Chargen69 on November 20, 2012, 11:59:37 AM
no need to convert anybody, the show has been gone for decades, if you dont get it move on, it's a free country if people want a general lee thats up to them and their money

i am not upset, I'm just saying

Agreed. If you don't get it...  :slap: I enjoyed the DOH as a kid and enjoy driving our General.  :Twocents:

SRT-440

So you watched because of Daisy? I guess that means you would make a clone of her if you could? LOL

I don't understand the anger the GL brings out of some ppl...it's just paint and wheels on a car that otherwise would prolly be a Coke can by now. Be thankful that that show inspired my generation to restore these cars.  :D

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

kikgas01

rebby

Quote from: johnnyseville on November 21, 2012, 08:14:32 AM
Quote from: rebby on November 20, 2012, 12:05:04 PM
I'm building a General Lee for my kids. Simply put, my kids (9, 6, & 2) LOVE the General Lee. They love the idea that we have a GL project in the garage. They love the idea that they get to help work on the car and build it into a GL. Building one of my 69's into a GL has excited my kids and motivated them to become part of the restoration process. That alone has justified every penny that goes into the project.

I like this answer, so far this is the only reason that would compel me to make a GL clone, though I am sure when they grow up at some point they may want to convert it again.

Yep, the car will only stay a General Lee for so long. Once the family "outgrows" it we'll either sell it and get something else (I've always wanted a 68 Charger or a Cuda/Challenger) or we'll strip it back to bare metal and start a restoration project, maybe even build a Daytona clone? Who knows???

For now though, it's gonna be a General Lee and, I bet, we're going to have a ton of fun with it!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

johnnyseville

Quote from: SRT-440 on November 21, 2012, 09:07:31 AM
So you watched because of Daisy? I guess that means you would make a clone of her if you could? LOL

I don't understand the anger the GL brings out of some ppl...it's just paint and wheels on a car that otherwise would prolly be a Coke can by now. Be thankful that that show inspired my generation to restore these cars.  :D

Hell yes!  Though I think nowadays Daisy needs a bit of a restoration herself! :lol:
too many to list!

Ghoste

Haha, even Daisy 2 is needing some touchup apparently.  She's been doing the diet commercials on TV but they only show her from the neck up.  I think Daisy 3 is still in good shape though?

Cooter

Like I said, most of the Problems only arise from the "Haters" of the GL. The average Joe in the public loves the car. Loves what it stood for.

Only time a problem arises is when purists just have to decide to hate on the GL because someone asked them "When are you gonna paint it like the General Lee".

BTW: I can only HOPE I look as good as Cathy Back looks when I'm older than dirt.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

36 Dodge Brothers

I have always had a problem with people comparing my car to the GL :flame:! When my dad purchased the car back in 71' it was orange so that didn't help with everyone always saying "General Lee" when I drove by or "when are you going to paint the 01". You need to understand that growing up in San Francisco was hard enough without people making fun of your car. I remember cruising down by the Cliff House and having the local guys tease me about my car because it was not a Chevy or a Ford, to them it was the GL! So after a few GL comments I went back around and smoked the shit out of the tires right next to them :yesnod:! Well guess what? When I went around for the third time it was a bunch of thumbs up  :2thumbs: and comments like "that is a bad ass Charger, what's under the hood". I grew up in the back seat of my Charger with my dad behind the wheel and all I ask it that people respect my car for being a bad ass Muscle Car that Dodge built! One other thing I wish people would realize that the GL is a 69' not a 68'. Sorry had to vent.
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

Ghoste

The only things I don't like about the GL are the flag on the roof, the numbers on the doors, the wheels, the CB antenna on the back and the fugly push bar on the front.  Other than that I think it looks great.

Mike DC

:nana:

This Charger would have been pretty cool left in stock condition too.  

But some moron gave it two-tone paint, huge goofy racing numbers, a ghetto grille, and hillbilly hacked-up wheelwells.

Ghoste

Of course it is Mike, for you.  My point was meant to be tongue in cheek but I sincerely doubt that many will get what I am saying.

Mike DC

Yeah, I know you were messing with us GL fans, Ghoste.

That was more of a response to the whole thread than just your comment. 

Ghoste

And I expected you to be one of the few to know what I'm actually implying.

cdr

the only thing i like about a GL is, its a charger & the flag, just not together :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

F8-4life

I dont see why more people dont build generals with old cragars or slots, with big meats in the back...70s style. that would make them cooler, and lose the bumper guard.