News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona on Ebay

Started by tan top, November 26, 2012, 04:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dave Kanofsky

wow, that tag seems to be pushing the envelope of the market.  is it missing the rear window trim?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

JB400

I think it is.  Look inside as well.  It seems unfinished.

Maybe if I win the jackpot, I can get it. :icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

nice car, but as pointed out, some things need to be finished...... Makes my 145K asking price reasonable..  But, means nothing if it doesn't sell.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

WB General Lee

A lot of money in my opinion for that car in this market. Looks like a dealer in my area but there are some negative feed backs I would be careful and really inspect the car. If you have the 136K you can spend a few more bucks and get a better example in my opinion.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on November 26, 2012, 08:12:44 AM
is it missing the rear window trim?

Looks like it's painted black.  Maybe this is the "minor bodywork".  :shruggy:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

johnnyseville

I just love it when the "vultures" come out to criticize someone else's car.  Which one of you guys has a perfect Daytona we can use as a guide for restoration purposes.  In most cases the ones who speak the loudest, have the least.  I like the car, would love to have it, who the $%@ cares about trim or anything else. Had to get that off my chest. Now you can continue.
too many to list!

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

JB400

Quote from: johnnyseville on November 27, 2012, 09:14:45 AM
I just love it when the "vultures" come out to criticize someone else's car.  Which one of you guys has a perfect Daytona we can use as a guide for restoration purposes.  In most cases the ones who speak the loudest, have the least.  I like the car, would love to have it, who the $%@ cares about trim or anything else. Had to get that off my chest. Now you can continue.
I don't consider myself a vulture, just a rockin robin making an observation :icon_smile_big:

maxwellwedge

Feedback rating is below stellar

johnnyseville

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 27, 2012, 09:40:06 AM
Feedback rating is below stellar

The guy has 3 negative feedback in 5 years, unfortunately, this year he  had 10 transactions and one was a negative, which hurt him.  Ebay is a cesspool of scam artists and extortionists.  How do I know?  My company has been a big seller on ebay for 3 years.  Even Mother Theresa would have negative feedback calling her a "thief".
too many to list!

hemi68charger

Quote from: johnnyseville on November 27, 2012, 09:14:45 AM
...  I like the car, would love to have it, who the $%@ cares about trim or anything else. Had to get that off my chest. Now you can continue.

When it comes to spending a LOT of money on something, it's better to have the extremely hard-to-find parts there. The missing rear window trim on a Daytona/500 isn't a trivial thing..... Just because someone doesn't have the "perfect" car doesn't mean they don't have knowledge and experience. So, if I'm one of the 'vultures', guess I'm flying with my "not perfect Daytona". The purpose of this forum is to educate and inform. There are all sorts of people on this forum from the very knowledgeable to those who have just discovered it and are learning. Prior to this reply, there wasn't really any bashing of this car. The comment on "inspecting" the car is warranted in the fact that it is a high dollar asking price and there are some obviously simple things to fix that aren't. With that being said, further inspection would be highly recommended. As mine is for sale as well, I would 100% expect ANYONE intersted in my car to inspect it first.

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mopar John

I would like to defend the seller a little bit here. Back in May of 2010 a friend of the seller posted that this Daytona was appraised at $201,000.00 and #2 condition. If you didn't know much about these Daytonas and had a professional appraisel that was that high you might think it was worth that! At that time the seller was asking $169,000.00 or $32,000.00 below his appraisal! Fast forward to August of 2011 and the daytona is then listed on the local Craigslist site for $139,000.00 a drop of another $30,000.00 from his appraisal! Now it is listed again on EBAY for $136,500 another drop of $2,500.00! I think this guy is really trying to sell this Daytona! He might not know how to find the missing parts or have the money to have the work done? But to date he has reduced the price by a total of $32,500.00!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on November 27, 2012, 02:05:24 PM
I would like to defend the seller a little bit here. Back in May of 2010 a friend of the seller posted that this Daytona was appraised at $201,000.00 and #2 condition. If you didn't know much about these Daytonas and had a professional appraisel that was that high you might think it was worth that! At that time the seller was asking $169,000.00 or $32,000.00 below his appraisal! Fast forward to August of 2011 and the daytona is then listed on the local Craigslist site for $139,000.00 a drop of another $30,000.00 from his appraisal! Now it is listed again on EBAY for $136,500 another drop of $2,500.00! I think this guy is really trying to sell this Daytona! He might not know how to find the missing parts or have the money to have the work done? But to date he has reduced the price by a total of $32,500.00!
MJ

John,
I hear ya... But, I don't think anyone's attacking the owner nor car. There have been a couple comments on the asking price being at the upper limited based on it's shown condition. We all know what appraisals can bring; sometime lofty values, sometimes below market values. Was the car appraised at $201K and #2 condition as it sits? My wife's uncle has a '64 Valiant and was told by the local preacher it was worth $15,000 !!! The car sits at her cousin's home still rotting outside. At most it was worth $2000..... Does this make it worth $15,000? Nope......  I totally understand his dilemma in reduction of price. My Daytona exchanged hands in about '08 for nearly $180K and I'm down to $145K now and the car's in much better shape since I acquired it. More money invested and a reduction of $35K reflective of the market. Personally, I hope he gets it.....
Troy

WB General Lee

Some very good points made here. Anyone can get an appraisal in there favor for $100 so I don't give them any consideration unless there done by maybe Wayne from chasing classic cars or someone in the know where you will get a more accurate market price. When most people lost 30% of their net worth they will be more careful and more critical or picky. It showed in the sale of my Mr. Norm TA. Rare color combo 4spd signed by Norm, magazine car and tons of documentation sold 20K below market. I am looking for a winged car and you bet I am going to be picky before spending 100K.

rob-dirt

Quote from: WB General Lee on November 27, 2012, 08:53:49 PM
Some very good points made here. Anyone can get an appraisal in there favor for $100 so I don't give them any consideration unless there done by maybe Wayne from chasing classic cars or someone in the know where you will get a more accurate market price. When most people lost 30% of their net worth they will be more careful and more critical or picky. It showed in the sale of my Mr. Norm TA. Rare color combo 4spd signed by Norm, magazine car and tons of documentation sold 20K below market. I am looking for a winged car and you bet I am going to be picky before spending 100K.

I AGREE  :2thumbs:

odcics2

20K below market?  Hmm, the selling price WAS the market price, at that point in time to the buyer.  (and seller?)    :Twocents:

We all know the hard to find parts for wing cars. The more one asks, the better the car should be as far as original parts, etc.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

WB General Lee

From what TA Challengers are selling at I believe it was cheap even in this market. I let it go because I simply had too many cars and was tired of keeping them up. All original one repaint Go Mango 4spd with a complete folder of docs from Mr Norm even he was surprised when he saw them for 55K. Good documented cars are not hard to sell especially matching and rare colors. It's funny this Daytona is practically in my backyard.

hemi68charger

Quote from: WB General Lee on November 28, 2012, 01:10:25 AM
... It's funny this Daytona is practically in my backyard.

You live on the other side of the white shed in the pictures?   :icon_smile_big:
Troy

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 28, 2012, 07:32:16 AM
Quote from: WB General Lee on November 28, 2012, 01:10:25 AM
... It's funny this Daytona is practically in my backyard.

You live on the other side of the white shed in the pictures?   :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   :cheers:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

johnnyseville

Time to realize the prices of yesterday are gone.  These cars were purchased with "disposable income", very few people now have "disposable income".  Added to this is the proliferation of clones, where you can have the same look for half the price. I am sure there will be a partial recovery over a period of years, but the buying frenzy of collectible cars is over, pretty much like real estate.  It is unfortunate that many sellers refuse to acknowledge this and continue to ask way too much, but I can see some sellers are now realizing this  and taking what the market will offer. If you are looking for a car,  now is the time, you can write you own deal.  BTW.. in response to the previous post about trim being trivial, it is.  I would be much more critical of the non matching drivetrain, that can never be replaced.
too many to list!

hemi68charger

Quote from: johnnyseville on November 28, 2012, 08:17:26 AM
Time to realize the prices of yesterday are gone. These cars were purchased with "disposable income", very few people now have "disposable income". Added to this is the proliferation of clones, where you can have the same look for half the price. I am sure there will be a partial recovery over a period of years, but the buying frenzy of collectible cars is over, pretty much like real estate.  It is unfortunate that many sellers refuse to acknowledge this and continue to ask way too much, but I can see some sellers are now realizing this and taking what the market will offer. If you are looking for a car,  now is the time, you can write you own deal.  BTW.. in response to the previous post about trim being trivial, it is.  I would be much more critical of the non matching drivetrain, that can never be replaced.

I agree 100% on all accounts. In all honesty though, from a visual point of view, it is much easier to find a running 440 than rear window trim for a Daytona/500. But, it's a mute point concerning this particular car, it doesn't have either the original block nor window trim. Warranty block stipulations would merit a dealership warranty work invoice and the blue tag that was usually put on the car post-warranty work. Otherwise, it is nothing more than another 440 block. Would I like to have a car with its original motor? Of course I would. But the facts of automotive-life is such that these things were ran hard and engines went KaBoom.... In order to finish off a Daytona/500, to show and enjoy, which didn't have its motor and/or trim? I would rather try and find a motor than trim.... In my case, I've reduced my price to a certain percentage which I think is fair, luckily for me, I'm NOT in a position where I have to sell, soooo, my microcosm of a Mopar world, it's not a buyer's market ( unless they think the 145K is fair ). I ask people who are interested in my car staright up, do they HAVE to have the original block? If so, I tell them this car isn't for them... I wish them luck on finding their dream car with its original block...
Troy

rotten65

I spoke with Mike (who is selling the car for his "Friend") this evening to ask a few questions about this car. He told me that this car was at a car show a few years back and left unattended overnight with the trunk lid open and the next morning the rear window trim, both jacks and the spare tire were stolen. I asked if the owner had tried to track down the original engine block from the dealership who replaced it under "Factory Warranty" so it would be a "matching numbers" engine and he told me he did not know. I also asked about the build sheet and any other "Documents" and he also told me he did not know if they were still in the owners paperwork. To me the price is a little high for several key items missing from the car. He told me the owner didn't mind if he ever sold the car because he knows how rare these cars are even with missing parts. I'm going down this weekend to look it over and take it for a drive and will post more pictures and information. I was told by Mike that the owner would take $133,000.00 and that's the "Rock Bottom" he would ever be willing to go. I will let you guys know how it looks and drives after this weekend! If I win the "Power Ball" tonight I'm gonna buy every Daytona I can find! I hope $550,000,000.00 will accomplish that!!!

WB General Lee

I am not far away a couple of cities over. Hope he gets what he is asking good luck to him.

johnnyseville

too many to list!