News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General lee tech board.

Started by JB400, November 26, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Mods set up a technical board for GL builders

Yes
32 (45.7%)
No
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: December 10, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Rolling_Thunder

I voted no because of the following:  You are trying to copy a single car...     thus to do a "correct" clone of the GL you only need one list of rules....   therefore - not an entire forum for it - just make a sticky thread saying "this is how you build a GL" and give all the information needed.

The winged car forum is different because of the Superbird, C500, Daytona - three different models with all varying levels of complication....   

anyone who wants to build a GL is trying to mimic a 1969 Charger with some paint, lettering, pushbar, rollbar, and a CB....     just dont see the need for a whole section when a thread would do.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

skip68

I fully agree Rolling thunder.   That's my thoughts also.  Really not much to discuss when building a GL.   I should now as I've done it.  I voted NO also.   Sorry guys.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

rebby

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 26, 2012, 07:49:30 PM
I voted no because of the following:  You are trying to copy a single car...     thus to do a "correct" clone of the GL you only need one list of rules....   therefore - not an entire forum for it - just make a sticky thread saying "this is how you build a GL" and give all the information needed.

The winged car forum is different because of the Superbird, C500, Daytona - three different models with all varying levels of complication....   

anyone who wants to build a GL is trying to mimic a 1969 Charger with some paint, lettering, pushbar, rollbar, and a CB....     just dont see the need for a whole section when a thread would do.

I think that some sort of "tech sticky" would serve just as well. Perhaps even better?
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

JB400

It doesn't have to be just about the General, it could be for the other movie cars as well.( As had been mentioned before)  Either way, I say put in the tech area for those that want to build one.  Leave the discussion board for the bashing where it belongs.This is Charger Central.  Movie cars are a part of the heritage of our Charger niche.  Why not support it?

bill440rt

I voted "No" as well.
There is already an ENTIRE online forum dedicated to the GL. Anything anyone would ever want to know about it and the DoH can be found there.
http://www.cglfc.com/

Want to know how to build one? Google is your friend.
http://www.generalleefanclub.com/build/build.html

The Aero section has it's place here as a separate section, due to those Chargers being sub-models in the lineup. (Hope that makes sense.)
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brock Lee

I voted "no" because I just don't see a need. Really, most builders use the half a dozen niche market suppliers with readily available off the shelf products to build General lees. How many threads does there have to be to nail down the 3 different color tan dyes? The 3-6 different decal makers? Who all of the sudden has the right to dictate what is right and wrong with prop cars that followed very loose tolerances?

BY RSCO

Quote from: Brock Lee on November 26, 2012, 11:58:43 PM
I voted "no" because I just don't see a need. Really, most builders use the half a dozen niche market suppliers with readily available off the shelf products to build General lees. How many threads does there have to be to nail down the 3 different color tan dyes? The 3-6 different decal makers? Who all of the sudden has the right to dictate what is right and wrong with prop cars that followed very loose tolerances?

Though I am in the process of building a General Lee (hate me if you like, I will still sleep tonight) I agree with this. My first goal in the build was and is to make as nice of a 69 Charger as possible, then put the uniform (or clown suit, I will say it for you) on. I have found the best resources anywhere on the web right here on this site in the way of information, suppliers, etc which has helped a great deal with the restoration of the car. The General theme is relatively easy, and the above statement is also true, there is no "one correct general". I am taking things that I like from different eras / cars, combining them into my build. When I am tired of it (if that happens) the push bar comes off, the roll bar out - change the paint, and I still have a top notch restored classic.

LaOtto70Charger

I voted no because you can already find most of the answers on the site from a search.  If you have specific questions on paint and interior there is already specific areas for those questions.  As for posting builds that can be done without bashing, check jb's thread of his build.

Mytur Binsdirti

Before I vote, I need to know if the GL stuff will be placed at the bottom or top of the selection page.   :lol:

Cooter

No...Reasoning? Seriously? Skip says what I've been saying for three threads. We have enough problems with the "Haters" as it is, all this would do is give them a place to "Supposedly" voice their "Hatred/jealousy/whatever" disguised as an opinion/discussion about the GL.

AGAIN, I see no one getting hot and bothered about a Piss green/yellow Charger, A Certain Black '68 Charger, A certian black 1970 Charger with a FAKE Blower(Talk about corny!!), Or any other Charger in Film/TV. JUST the General Lee. Why you ask????
Simple, The one that gets the most attention, gets the most "Haters". Plain and simple. AGAIN, Stop "Hatin' " PROBLEM SOLVED. No need for a Forum to solve it. I already have the answer. Threads asking "Why is the GL so popular?", need to be replied to in the beginning with something like "Why is your Charger so Common that you feel the need to "Hate" on the GL?"..We'll see why right away I guarantee it.

AGAIN, negative threads get 6 pages, positive threads get to about 2 pages. Funny how that works, yet Everybody wants to try talkin' that "Stop the drama" bullsh*t..I don't buy it for one minute. If that were actually the TRUE feeling here, these negative threads wouldn't get past the first three posts...Yet, I see this one is already into it's 2nd page.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 27, 2012, 06:57:08 AM
Before I vote, I need to know if the GL stuff will be placed at the bottom or top of the selection page.   :lol:

How about;

General Discussion

General Lee Discussion.
Dukes of Hazard Discussion
Aero General Lee's
General Lee Vendors
Upcoming Dukefests

General Lee Barn Yard

General Lee Engine, Transmission, Glasspacks
General Lee Orange, Body and Trim
General Lee Chassis, Suspension, Vectors and Tires
General Lee CB, Antenna's, Gauges and Lights
General Lee Tan and Interior
Performance General Lee's
General General Q&A

Classifieds

General Garage Sale

Other Stuff

The Yeeee-Haaaa Side (Fred)  :nana:
Site suggestions/Farm Help

:slap:   :lol:

Dino

Quote from: 440 on November 27, 2012, 07:39:50 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 27, 2012, 06:57:08 AM
Before I vote, I need to know if the GL stuff will be placed at the bottom or top of the selection page.   :lol:

How about;

General Discussion

General Lee Discussion.
Dukes of Hazard Discussion
Aero General Lee's
General Lee Vendors
Upcoming Dukefests

General Lee Barn Yard

General Lee Engine, Transmission, Glasspacks
General Lee Orange, Body and Trim
General Lee Chassis, Suspension, Vectors and Tires
General Lee CB, Antenna's, Gauges and Lights
General Lee Tan and Interior
Performance General Lee's
General General Q&A

Classifieds

General Garage Sale

Other Stuff

The Yeeee-Haaaa Side (Fred)  :nana:
Site suggestions/Help Desk

:slap:   :lol:

You had to go and ruin it didn't you?

Go on, remove that dumb site suggestion thingie and out something General Lee in there.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Cooter on November 27, 2012, 07:08:26 AM

Plain and simple. AGAIN, Stop "Hatin' " PROBLEM SOLVED. No need for a Forum to solve it.

You're absolutely right; I'm feeling the love already.      :lol:

JB400

I think we got lost in translation somewhere between General Lee and tech board.  Maybe I should put it in Greek

Cooter

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 27, 2012, 08:39:41 AM
Quote from: Cooter on November 27, 2012, 07:08:26 AM

Plain and simple. AGAIN, Stop "Hatin' " PROBLEM SOLVED. No need for a Forum to solve it.

You're absolutely right; I'm feeling the love already.      :lol:

Funny, I don't give you any sh*t about your Hemi Charger...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

θα έχουμε έναs γενικός lee tech πίνακας μέσα στο mopar γκαράζ?

That's in Greek for anyone that wants to know.  Sarcasm aside, I have a new idea.

How about sticking the GL specific threads at the top of the General Q & A section instead?  Nothing changes.  Just a few stickies at the top.  What's your opinion?

Some feathers are starting to get ruffled and this is where threads start to go downhill.

Fred

Geez, why the contention; they're all Chargers, and they all look good whatever the make up.   :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

skip68

Fred, I'm getting tired of telling you this is an American fight.   Put some shrimp on the barbi and have a beer.   :rotz:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Fred

Ok Chuckie, have it your way.  I don't need a fight anyway........they hurt.
I'm going to put a shrimp on the barbie now and have a beer.

skip68

Quote from: Fred on November 27, 2012, 09:48:51 PM

Just make sure it doesn't fall through the grill Fred. (you can blame Paul Hogan for that one)

Fred

Quote from: 440 on November 27, 2012, 10:25:01 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 27, 2012, 09:48:51 PM

Just make sure it doesn't fall through the grill Fred. (you can blame Paul Hogan for that one)

No worries.......when I say shrimp, I mean king prawns........those critters won't be falling through any cracks.   :cheers:

JB400

Aussies are welcome to speak their opinion as well.  This isn't just an American discussion, it's global.