News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Yearone rear quarter panels

Started by matrout76, November 28, 2012, 09:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrout76

I'm planning on putting new quarter panel skins on my 1969 Charger during the week between Christmas and New Years.  I'm just starting to shop for them and saw that Yearone has both sides for $354.30!

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/kc69lhrh

does anyone have experience with these quarter panels?

I've read the article about using these, and they seem to go on OK (i have the link on my work computer and will post it tomorrow)

Are they worth the price, or will i regret trying to save a couple hundred $$'s...?

thanks!
Matt

Ghoste

I'd check their shipping and handling charges just to make sure.

fm3 70 rt

they grade there sheetmetal products on a scale rating , i bought a pair from them for my old 70 duster a few years ago and they were junk & shipping was ridiculous also . They do have a good return policy though . Just ask them which manufacturer they are using as they are just the middlemen anyhow.

JB400

Year One classifiies the skins as category 4.  Their full quarters are category 3 and Mopar authorized.  Category 4 is a standard restoration part.  Category 3 is a premium restoration part.  ( Words coming from their catalog)

My experience  with skins.  I'll probably never do it again.  First time, I had no choice.  The quarters were too long and had no mid body lines.  To make them fit,  my bodyman welded them on the outside of the taillight panel.  They are supposed to go on the inside, or otherwise the extension doesn't fit.  They were also welded on top of the valance corner.  At the door edge,  the flange on the original quarter was left on, so the flange would meet up on the skin.  Some of my problems come from the body guy, but the quality of the panel is at fault too.  I'm now going full quarters after the holiday to minimalize the possibilty of damage during shipment.

Your money, your choice, but this is my experience.  Good luck

matrout76

These are the articles i refered to above:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0506_panel_rust_removal/

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0507_panel_rust_removal_2/

I checked shipping and handling, and it came to $170, so my total would be around $525 for both quarter panels, delivered.

Thanks for the info, and please keep it coming!  As i get closer to buying, i'll call and ask which manufacturer they are selling.

The skins will work for what i need to do.  A neighbor is a local body-shop owner and does a lot of restoration work.  After looking at my car, he recommended the skins over the full quarters and offered to help and give advice if i ran into any issues.  The car is going to be a driver and the original body color was silver, and i plan to repaint it the original color. 

If anyone has used these exact parts, i'd like to hear what they thought of them.

Thanks again!
Matt

Ghoste

This isn't a knock on the product but I would take Mopar Muscle magazine's recommendations with a grain of salt.  They seem to have more advertising in their pages than any of the other mags and not coincidentally their tech articles seem to be much more like advertiser endorsements.  imo

randy73

Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2012, 09:16:40 AM
This isn't a knock on the product but I would take Mopar Muscle magazine's recommendations with a grain of salt.  They seem to have more advertising in their pages than any of the other mags and not coincidentally their tech articles seem to be much more like advertiser endorsements.  imo

I agree, same w/shows on Saturdays.

Yearone sells AMD and Goodmark sheetmetal, they sometimes have good prices, but their shipping and handling costs are always very high, plus they try to add $2.50 to each order as shipping insurance, which is a joke because most shippers will cover damage done in shipping.

Patronus

I've always thought skins were made to go over, thereby quite a bit different in actual size than full quarters.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

dan6412

This is a skin. I put both sides on this car. I bet I have 40+ hours in the install per side. You can't see it in the pic but they are flat below the bodyline by the door. No curve like they do stock. The bodyline is very soft, I had to sharpen mine with a little filler.
If it was me I would spend the money on full 1/4's for the work it's going to take. And mine just a driver too.

Dan

dan6412

Other side painted with base coat.
Few other things to keep in mind. Like stated above they are a tad longer.
Metal is thinner, dents and "tin can"s  very easily.

Hope this helps.