News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrysler Museum Bronze Daytona 1985

Started by 564daytona, December 02, 2012, 12:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

564daytona

Hello, my name is Dan, a Friend of mine forwarded me the chats on my old Daytona, so I just signed up to answer some of the questions.
  First of all the Daytona in the Chrysler Museum is not a fake or clone of any kind! I have the original 1969 title framed with the 1998 MOPAR
MUSCLE March article on the car, and a factory paint touch up bottle that was in the glove box when I got the car.
I traded a 71 six pack challenger R/T for the Daytona in 1984 I think. Someone was correct, and yes the front fenders were gone. The nose
was also off, but with the car, it had some damage but not disasterous. It was all numbers matching when I got it. It was in gray primer with
a bare metal wing. I painted the wing black. The interior was in pretty good shape. The rest of the body was in decent shape also. The car
had been sitting in a field for years without the front fenders and was sunk in the dirt when Ron Adair found it. This was in Benton Harbor Michigan. It had the dana 60 rear end even being an automatic. Ron and I also discussed the R/T emblem on the rear and agreed it had been
there sinse day 1 and nobody had messed with it. The fender tag was rusty, but all the numbers were clear from the bottom side.
There was a tag on the dash saying something like "Custom Built for Melvin F." We figured the original owner had that made and put it on
himself. I have pictures of the Daytona at this point somewhere I will dig out sometime.
I got the car running with minimal work, a gas can at the carb. It must have needed a gas tank, or been plugged up. I think it had 40,000 miles
on it at that time. I never plated or drove it because it needed to be restored really. I ended up trading it back later to Ron for a low mileage Superbird. Then Ron sold the daytona to Ron Slobe in Missouri. I know because Ron Slobe bought a 70 challenger R/T convertible from me at the same time and had them picked up at the same time. Ron Slobe had every intention of restoring the car, I dont know if he did or it went to the new owner? Sadly both these Rons are gone now. Wish I had the Daytona back, the challenger R/T I traded for it also as it was a loaded rubber bumper car.

JB400

Thanks for the story and welcome to the group. :2thumbs:  Hope you stick around

Ghoste

I look forward to the pics.  Its sounds like you have a few interesting cars in your past, you should post pics of them too.  By the way, what are you driving now, any Mopar muscle still in your garage?

nascarxx29

Ron Slobes old car.
List shows XX29L9B400564  Ted Lloyd & Son Manistee MI
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Quote from: 564daytona on December 02, 2012, 12:17:25 PM
Hello, my name is Dan, a Friend of mine forwarded me the chats on my old Daytona, so I just signed up to answer some of the questions.
  First of all the Daytona in the Chrysler Museum is not a fake or clone of any kind! I have the original 1969 title framed with the 1998 MOPAR
MUSCLE March article on the car, and a factory paint touch up bottle that was in the glove box when I got the car.

If you have the original 1969 title, you own that car. Better contact the Museum and tell them your good fortune!   :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Thanks for the story and clarification 564...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

jonw29

To add a side note to this.I am not sure if this has already been discussed but I recieved an email from Hemmings and they said that the Walter P Chrysler Museum would be closing at the end of the year.Sad news.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: jonw29 on December 03, 2012, 01:21:25 PM
To add a side note to this.I am not sure if this has already been discussed but I recieved an email from Hemmings and they said that the Walter P Chrysler Museum would be closing at the end of the year.Sad news.

So where do all the cars go, or are they all on consignment?
Must be some beauties in there.

jonw29

odcics2

Nothing is moving.  Chrysler is buying the cars from the non profit holding company that "owned' the cars.  The building was always owned by Chrysler.
It won't be open daily, like now.   But it will be for special engagements.    The CEMA car show next June perhaps?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?