News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Corporate "Petty" Blue 999s - when did you see your first?

Started by rainbow4jd, April 04, 2014, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

Town and Year

Lexington KY 1972

My first view of a 999 Bird took place in Lexington Kentucky about 1972.   I was riding around on my bicycle and went to the "dead end" street that ended at the railroad tracks.   There was this wild looking car parked on the street in front of a small house (maybe a duplex even).     It was soooo cool!    My cousin Barry had owned a 69 Road Runner so I knew that Plymouth and Road Runner were something special.   

I don't know that I had ever seen one "for real" prior to that.   I do remember watching the 1971 Daytona 500 - and seeing that one with the small engine crash out. 

20 years later I became the owner of that same car - which was kind of cool

pettybird

May 1976.  I was six months old and don't remember the day quite so clearly  ;)

marty42

It's really neat that you were able to purchase the car.  I saw my first 999 car when my husband went to drive it home.  I did not know what a superbird was, and was carrying my six month old son.  I was led into a huge pole barn filled with antique fire engines with gleaming chrome, gold script and that gorgeous red.  I did notice a blue 'wing' parked between two of them and assumed it was the car we had come to take home.  Then they backed it out.  It kept coming and coming.  I nearly dropped Doug.  what was that thing?  Not just a wing, but a nose?  Rick was thrilled!  I did not know the importance of the car or the color.  It was always his favorite.  I guess that's why Doug loves it so much and considers it his car.  (We beat on the B5 which Rick bought 3 months later.)

All I can say is that it has been a great ride and I now love the car, too.

hemi68charger

Quote from: marty42 on April 05, 2014, 08:35:35 AM
It's really neat that you were able to purchase the car.  I saw my first 999 car when my husband went to drive it home.  I did not know what a superbird was, and was carrying my six month old son.  I was led into a huge pole barn filled with antique fire engines with gleaming chrome, gold script and that gorgeous red.  I did notice a blue 'wing' parked between two of them and assumed it was the car we had come to take home.  Then they backed it out.  It kept coming and coming.  I nearly dropped Doug.  what was that thing?  Not just a wing, but a nose?  Rick was thrilled!  I did not know the importance of the car or the color.  It was always his favorite.  I guess that's why Doug loves it so much and considers it his car.  (We beat on the B5 which Rick bought 3 months later.)

:2thumbs:

Are you sure you didn't drop Doug? It would explain a lot........  :lol:

But, more to the point......... I saw mine sitting in the front yard of a house in West Palm Beach off Haverhill Road back in, ohhhhhh, about 1977-78... It was a 440 six pack car, console auto I believe with white bucket interior...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

June 1970

Saw the Petty SuperBirds on the front row at MIS.   :2thumbs:

Does that count?    :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

TUFCAT

Approximately 1972 or 1973 on a Duster in the Detroit area. I was about 5 at the time (by then it had a real color code and name so it may not count as a 999 sighting).  It was very common for Dad to take us through dealership inventory to "kill time" as he said. :icon_smile_wink: :yesnod:  Through osmosis we ended up learning a lot!  Btw we called it Petty Blue as kids.  :icon_smile_cool:

rainbow4jd

Quote from: pettybird on April 04, 2014, 10:34:39 PM
May 1976.  I was six months old and don't remember the day quite so clearly  ;)

Was that when you all got yours?

rainbow4jd

Quote from: marty42 on April 05, 2014, 08:35:35 AM
It's really neat that you were able to purchase the car.  I saw my first 999 car when my husband went to drive it home.  I did not know what a superbird was, and was carrying my six month old son.  I was led into a huge pole barn filled with antique fire engines with gleaming chrome, gold script and that gorgeous red.  I did notice a blue 'wing' parked between two of them and assumed it was the car we had come to take home.  Then they backed it out.  It kept coming and coming.  I nearly dropped Doug.  what was that thing?  Not just a wing, but a nose?  Rick was thrilled!  I did not know the importance of the car or the color.  It was always his favorite.  I guess that's why Doug loves it so much and considers it his car.  (We beat on the B5 which Rick bought 3 months later.)

That is so cool!

rainbow4jd

Quote from: odcics2 on April 05, 2014, 08:52:43 AM
June 1970

Saw the Petty SuperBirds on the front row at MIS.   :2thumbs:

Does that count?    :shruggy:

Sure does!

69_500

First I remember seeing a 999 Superbird would have been 1982. I remember shows from around that year until now pretty goods. Before then things are a little cloudy. Maybe it's because before that I was age 0-4

500Jon

Hi AeroFolks,

There was a '999' UK Bird for many years!
It was imported by Tony Dixon (rip) in the early 80's.
The buyer John Castleman, painted it red!
Never knew it was  Petty-Bird until he sold it in 1990 ($10K).
Missed out on the sale and it was restored in the 2000's by Pete Wiseman.
Got a phone call from Julius Steaur about 5 years ago, he wants to buy it?
Can I go and view the car in the UK for him.
Car was all restored and up for grabs at around $150K.
She was 'BEAUTIFUL' and I wished I'd managed to buy her myself.
Shipped the '999' Bird by 'RORO' to California, SWEET!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

tan top

about 13ish years ago ! only ever saw it one time in real life on a superbird !   seen it in real life on a duster about 25 years ago , & 10 -12 years ago on  roadrunner   ,  :yesnod: :yesnod:

***  update , had a flash back  :P **  remember seeing a third generation  was a SE   not sure what year maybe 72   petty blue  in real life  , about 1985  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Someday70

St. Augustine, Fla.   August 1971. Driving north on U.S. 1 a Superbird with Cragar wheels on it.

JB400

71 Duster 340/ 4 spd car a couple years ago.  First wing car was a Hemi orange Daytona at Mark Martin's museum.

Ghoste

First time I saw it would have been on the local Plymouth dealers lot around 73 on an E-body.  Have no idea if it was original to the car or not though.