News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Graveyard carz Daytona ***NEW PICTURES ADDED*** 4 UNCLE FESTER

Started by moparstuart, December 07, 2012, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

That engine deservers A Holley.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

here are mine , they look cool but they are a pain in the ass
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RJS

Yes the heater hoses are supposed to cross.

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Quote from: RJS on March 27, 2014, 11:14:17 PM

chalk this up to "learn something new every day"... My next question related to this is "WHY?".......

Hey Tom,
The ole' girl is looking great.. Been fun watching it on GYC.. Thanks for the tips on the radio last night when we chatted.........

Detailing suggestion.. I didn't see and if they aren't there, the detailing is pretty much free, the cost of a Sharpie..... The valve covers would have had the last three digits of the part number hand-written on the passenger side and a single digit on the driver's. For the life of me, I can't remember what the "5" on my driver's side was for, but I think Geno eludes to it on his Daytona's thread. For my case, 440 4bbl - 727, the last three digits of the part number for the engine assembly was "917"..... So, I just hand wrote that in a Sharpie on the leading face of the valve cover. I am sure black grease pencils where used back then.......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 28, 2014, 12:09:08 PM
Quote from: RJS on March 27, 2014, 11:14:17 PM

My next question related to this is "WHY?".......

Check out the 1969 Service Manual, Page 24-4, Figure 7 (no time to scan it in at the moment).  They seemed pretty specific about which hose goes to which port on the water pump.  Jim/maxwellwedge gets full credit for pointing this distinction out to me.  Page 24-1, Figure 1 shows that the heater core has an "Inlet" and "Outlet" designation, but it should still function either way.  I don't think the core is a one-way flow or that its efficiency would be markedly different in reverse, but the Manual does show the hoses should cross.

Car looks great, Tom.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on March 28, 2014, 01:16:45 PM

Check out the 1969 Service Manual, Page 24-4, Figure 7 (no time to scan it in at the moment).  They seemed pretty specific about which hose goes to which port on the water pump.  Jim/maxwellwedge gets full credit for pointing this distinction out to me.  Page 24-1, Figure 1 shows that the heater core has an "Inlet" and "Outlet" designation, but it should still function either way.  I don't think the core is a one-way flow or that its efficiency would be markedly different in reverse, but the Manual does show the hoses should cross.

In the spirit of the Air Force Maintenance world, that is great Geno !!! page right out of the Job Guide (J.G.) 1-XX29-96JG-1 ( hey, I just made that up for all my Air Force brethren )....  :nana:
Troy

r4daytona

Okie dokie on the crossing.  I believe I have enough extra to switch their position and have them cross.

Troy and Geno, thanks on the numbers.  I though it was suppose to be a 5 but never got a definitive answer.  I did not know about the 917. 

Not sure if I have the heart to put overspray on some of the engine components like the washer bottle and ballast resistor.

Here's a few more pics.
First a not so great shot of the suspension.  I still have to put the dab of paint on the control arm adjustment.  The "cosomoline paint" came out great for my intensions of driving the car.  Any suggestions?

Second was just nice to find a real NY 1969 inspection sticker.  Being the car was shipped out 8-27-69  I went with a Sept punch date.  I did the double punch on purpose so it looked a little sloppy.  It looks nice with ny 1969 rear plate.

Third just a bit of the wind deflector putty.  Not sure if i have to much ??  I left a screw showing just for the hell of it.
Fourth  just some proof that the emblem made it on.

nascarxx29

Heater hose magazine reference .I got pictures and part# from my original heater hoses
.The  22 inch radiator in a new daytona as seen in road test magazine
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Tom,
what is the screw/flat head looking thing down at the bottom of the window seal? If it is a screw, I would cover it up with the ribbon.

Also, is there a reason I don't know on why the rear of the front spoiler isn't painted? It doesn't look painted in the picture..........
Troy

r4daytona

For what I remember, and I might not be sure on who told me, I believe it was Dave Patik or his reference material, was that it was only the front of the spoiler that got painted. So, thats what we went with. I still have to do the yellow for the rivinuts inside the nose but not sure what shade of yellow they are suppose to be.  Suggestions anyone ??

For the inspection sticker, compare the 1969, the font style of the months #1, #12 for example - they are more squared off and the repo symbol is in color, the one I have is not.  I'm pretty sure I got lucky with an original.

nascarxx29

When they were applying the undercoat in the wheel wells. Mark had several page of reference original 69 daytona illustrations.I think he said they were from Dave Weiss.I got similar pages from a restoration book Dave Patik was putting together
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

RJS

The hoses where crossed as said because you would want your water to flow the correct direction in the heater core. What I mean by that is one tube would probably send the water down through the core and the other would push the water up through the core.

On the NY inspection you would want a 1970 decal because the one you have expires in Sept. of 69.

On the valve cover you put 917 on the passenger side cover and a 5 on the driver's side to call-out 440 w/auto.
Ron

r4daytona

Mark used info from Dave Weiss and reference material I bought form Dave Patik.
For the inspection sticker -- all I wanted was something that said 69. My lic. plate is a 69 plate with a 1 69 reg. sticker.  I know thats not exactly correct either.  Thats what came on the plate so thats what I'm using.  I don't care if the dates are correct - they say 69.

Here's something I would like verified by some folks.  These are some old  Points Voltage Regulators.  These were used up till 69 If I am correct?  Therefore, these should be the correct covers with the cover bending all the way to the base, rather than the repos that snap onto the base.  I was going to have Dave Patik restore and re-stamp the one on the left for my car.  Am I correct or not ?

RJS

Yes point type regulators were used through the 69 model year. here is an NOS one in the picture.
I was able years ago to put the NOS cover on an electronic type that Year One used to sell but wasn't able to put the Electronic cover on the NOS base.

hemi68charger

Quote from: r4daytona on March 29, 2014, 04:51:29 PM
For the inspection sticker -- all I wanted was something that said 69. My lic. plate is a 69 plate with a 1 69 reg. sticker.  I know thats not exactly correct either.  Thats what came on the plate so thats what I'm using.  I don't care if the dates are correct - they say 69.

That's nice....... I think I should look for something for either Texas, or Kentucky since that is where in was sold new.........

On a completely side-tracked note, anyone know Gary and/or an Andy French? I think they were the 2nd owner of my Daytona for a wee bit......
Troy

r4daytona

upon closer inspection I noticed the two on the right have a bit difference in the letters. They seem slightly wider and I noticed the  G in the right ones have that downward little piece from the curl of the G whereas the one I plan to use on the left does not.  So that begs the question - did it matter?  One of the ones on right had -  65 VAL - on it. The owner of the yard agreed with me that it had to obviously be a 65 valiant.   I just want to know if the lettering difference mattered or was it just a case that some were made at one place using one style of font and some made at different place using a different font.  I have a friend that has a superb 69 1/2 A12 that will probably be at the Nats and I'd give it to him as long as the lettering doesn't matter.

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

r4daytona

Hope you guys liked last night episode.  It was a bit bitter sweet because I'm not the type of guy that can sit around - I need something to keep me occupied and this has for the last 2-1/2 years.  Maybe I'll go back to buying some coins when I get some money- that would help in the process.

I'd like to go back to the shop soon, but need to save my money right now for the shows this summer so there's no money for a ticket right now.  I do have something funnier than the "bombs".

It didn't get mentioned but I have to send some kudos to people that helped with this as far as parts and advice.  I know there are plenty of decent people providing parts and services - I just want to compliment the ones who've helped me.  First, Kim and Jerry from Passion4mopars.  Kim was the one who first told me about Mark and the show.  They did my wiper motor, carb and alternator and I couldn't be happier.  Carb fired right up, plating looks great - they were awesome to deal with !

Mike Saless from Legendary -  what more can i say, you saw the show and it turned out great.  Ron, the installer was a super guy to work with.  I'll probably have my car in their booth at the Nats.  Mike Saless said he'd like to show it off.  Also planning on their show up this was in Rochester Ny Aug 23rd

Mike Mancini and Tom from Instrument Specialties - as you saw it turned out perfect.  I've never had a clock that worked in a car - now i do.  Vinyl looks super.  It's got to be better than factory !!

Mike and Chris from Retro Radio.  I'm sure I mentioned it, but Mike even helped me with a problem with my girlfriends radio over the phone to help me get hers working.  It sounds great and can't wait to listen to my Partridge family music during the summer. lol  I'm sure most know it by now but my last name is Partridge. lol  lol

Mike Reardon form NAPA helped with the front suspension and brakes. Even had the 4 piston calipers which are correct for the car!

Mike Gray from AMD.  He was one of the first ones I contacted about my car and the show. Besides the sheet metal I have a nice perfectly clear windshield to look out.  Their stuff is really great!

Lots of MIKES involved with this huh??  I was able to keep them all straight.

Dolores Lane from Antique Auto Battery was super to deal with and hopefully you'll see her or her daughter on the show.  i contacted them and they seemed interested so hopefully theywill be involved.

Tony Dagostino - I know you're here Tony.  Thanks for all your help with parts and answering my questions.  You really know your stuff.  i wish i knew what you forgot !

Tommy Lee from Coker Tire.  Can't wait to burn those back ones off.  I still have to make the trim rings have that brushed look but I kind of like the all polished look however, I know that a brushed ring is correct.

hemi68charger

I enjoyed the show alot Tom.... I know you're one happy camper.. Like you, I waited my whole life to get a Daytona like my Dad had new ( granted, mine isn't the same color, but I'm about to put in the same motor )..... I know the feeling of driving the Daytona for the first time. I had a camera as well ( my cell phone ), but it wasn't pointed at me in a way for a future television show......... Your experience was, I'm sure, pretty amazing. There are the naysayers and whiners about the show and the "things" here and there they pick apart on your car. I know you weren't expecting a Geno or Tony-scoped project. You got what you wanted....... The car looks great and you are a proud owner of a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona.... When I spoke to Mark a year or so ago about your project, he was very nice and cool, just like us ( except he has hair, we both don't )..... He was appreciative of the pictures I sent him of my car with all its original panels, panel junctions and pinchwelds.

Now, it's Mike's turn !!!!!!!   Don't think Mark will be giving him too much of a hard time................... Mike'll put a "Dusty Rhodes" on him...  :smilielol:
Troy

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr