News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

900+ hp Street/Strip Pump Gas HEMI Bullet

Started by Challenger340, October 24, 2012, 11:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

I am pretty happy with this Pump Gas Street/Strip HEMI Bullet ....So is the Customer.

I was a little skeptical we could get there when the Customer first requested "Plus 800 on Pump Gas, WITH a streetable Cam profile".....that was the disturbing criterion for me. You see....making power with low Octane pump fuel can be done...been there... done THAT lots...albeit the trade off usually comes at the expense of reliability with BASHER cam ramps that...well...just do NOT last in a true street driven environment.

So, here was the challenge on this one...make it REAL, make it SANE Cam-wise, and VERY 92 Octane friendly....and for a long time GOOD Customer such as this guy was...we went to work.

Kudo's to Bob, and Chase Knight at CRANE CAMS....those guys went to WORK, lotsa back & forth on the Flow data....they thought I was NUTS !

Big Thanks to Tim @ FHO.....his initial CNC Flow Program is the shiat....he's a REAL GUY ! His outa the box stuff is a great building block.

Same goes a big THANKS to Mike Panetta at Diamond Pistons for the extra effort working on the 3D Chamber molds we forwarded....real Professionals @ Diamond !

Who says old school ain't cool anymore ?
Especially when you got over 900hp on tap, and you can fill it at the corner gas station on 92 Octane ?

Very safe & soft tune...look at the sheets...NO detonation whatsoever, runs really good, cool & clean.
We started the session at 32* timing, NEVER changed it, never chased power....just jetted until happy and left it alone.
LOTS MORE left in this puppy we could have chased ie: Vacuum pump, more Header....but ENOUGH is ENOUGH...no point chasing closer to 1,000, albeit, now I am curious for next time ?

The basics;
KB water Block
4.5" Stroke
4.5" Bore
Eagle Crank
Eagle Rods
Diamond Pistons(proprietary R & D, low C.R. Dome Config)
Stage V Heads(lotta R & D), but all on the stock geometry/angle Valves, NO modified Angles !
INDY 2x 850 cfm 4150 Carbs
CRANE Custom Roller Cam, .628" Intake & .614" Exh Net Lift @ Valve(IMO, very Streetable)

Only wimps wear Bowties !

cdr

you did awesome on this ! WOW that's what i'm talkin about  :drool5: :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

:coolgleamA:  nice  :2thumbs:  736 foot pounds  at 45 hundred  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger4404spd

heyoldguy

Now that is the way a pump gas Hemi is supposed to run.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Challenger340

Quote from: Cooter on October 24, 2012, 07:50:29 PM
Any idea of money for this type build?

We're up in B.C. Canada Cooter.....EVERYTHING costs more...Freight, Brokerages, etc., etc. so $30K by the time it was Dyno'd.

Ghoste

Very nice.  What kind of money do you think it could be duplicated for in the US?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on October 25, 2012, 06:40:01 AM
Very nice.  What kind of money do you think it could be duplicated for in the US?

$35-$40K...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Very impressive Bob !  :2thumbs:

Same rotating assembly as mine (Eagle crank/rods & Diamond slugs) but this one has much better flowing heads !  :icon_smile_big:

What car is this beast going into ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger_Dart

Wow! That is some serious power. Guess you would need a strong tranny and rear end behind that much torque - and forget about tire life.   :drive:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Challenger340

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 25, 2012, 09:21:02 AM
Very impressive Bob !  :2thumbs:

Same rotating assembly as mine (Eagle crank/rods & Diamond slugs) but this one has much better flowing heads !  :icon_smile_big:

What car is this beast going into ?

Ron

Thx for the kind words....things turned out well...lotta head scratching at times though.
1969 B-Body Road Runner, all steel & Interior, Turbo 400, 8 3/4" W/4.10 Cogs(ouch), Laddered, 29" Tall Tire.

Ghoste

Will he be giving you strip results at some point or do those not figure into his plans?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on October 26, 2012, 06:47:47 AM
Will he be giving you strip results at some point or do those not figure into his plans?

YES, please post pics of that 8 3/4 rear splattered all over the track...

1974dodgecharger

Holy smokes thats insane and streetable damn.

mauve66

8 3/4??  hmmmmmmmmmmm
now where's my extra 30K...........
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

FLG

8 3/4 won't blow up unless he runs slicks and hooks.

Nice build!

Cooter

Quote from: FLG on November 28, 2012, 06:23:04 AM

Nice build!

Spinning, you ain't winning...If your Hookin', your cookin'...

Scene 1, Act two....

900 HP Hemi pulls along side a Stock, Turbo'd Toyota on the street. Both leave the line at same time. Toyota hooks and leaves 900 HP Hemi in the dust like it's tied to a tree spinning.

Not hooking and burnouts are for less serious folks. A 900 HP Hemi is for the serious folks.

Ghoste

Challenger340

Quote from: Cooter on November 28, 2012, 07:45:46 AM

Nice build!

Scene 1, Act two....

900 HP Hemi pulls along side a Stock, Turbo'd Toyota on the street. Both leave the line at same time. Toyota hooks and leaves 900 HP Hemi in the dust like it's tied to a tree spinning.

Not hooking and burnouts are for less serious folks. A 900 HP Hemi is for the serious folks.

Doubtful, the guy is pretty schooled in going fast.....he has done lots of street/strip racing, and although the friction co-efficient with street asphalt is poor, he can work the Mickey Street ET's pretty darn good.
I ain't worried about the 8 3/4, it is a Billet Capped  Randy's ring & Pinion complete Unit, 31 spline strange axles, it's already seen a couple hundred 800hp Nitrous blast wheelies at the track with no ill effects, so should be fine.

No dis-respect to the wanna-be Turbo'd Nissan and Toyota crowd...but it just ain't happening. REAL guys don't let THAT happen.

Cooter

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 02, 2012, 06:03:42 AM

Nice build!

Scene 1, Act two....

Doubtful, the guy is pretty schooled in going fast.....he has done lots of street/strip racing, and although the friction co-efficient with street asphalt is poor, he can work the Mickey Street ET's pretty darn good.
I ain't worried about the 8 3/4, it is a Billet Capped  Randy's ring & Pinion complete Unit, 31 spline strange axles, it's already seen a couple hundred 800hp Nitrous blast wheelies at the track with no ill effects, so should be fine.

No dis-respect to the wanna-be Turbo'd Nissan and Toyota crowd...but it just ain't happening. REAL guys don't let THAT happen.

Your boy might be ok for a while, but every time I add more power, it breaks. I've learned one thing for sure after many years of trail and error. Just because it lives a few dozen times, don't mean the next round it's not all over the track. I'm a bettin' man, but I only bet on sure things.

Seems kinda strange to me that a person that has enough money to buy a high dollar Hemi race motor, wants to invest huge money in a weak link like the 8 3/4 rear. Most I know invest in Dana's even if they rob HP. They do what your boy here did, turn up the wick to cover the loss.

But, alas, whadda I know, I'm still playing round with $4K engines running high 6's 8th mile on Pump gas(Back when you were somebody doing that), through the mufflers with a full steel body, and iron heads.

1974dodgecharger

damn  :o

Quote from: Cooter on December 03, 2012, 12:07:26 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on December 02, 2012, 06:03:42 AM

Nice build!

Scene 1, Act two....

Your boy might be ok for a while, but every time I add more power, it breaks. I've learned one thing for sure after many years of trail and error. Just because it lives a few dozen times, don't mean the next round it's not all over the track. I'm a bettin' man, but I only bet on sure things.

Seems kinda strange to me that a person that has enough money to buy a high dollar Hemi race motor, wants to invest huge money in a weak link like the 8 3/4 rear. Most I know invest in Dana's even if they rob HP. They do what your boy here did, turn up the wick to cover the loss.

But, alas, whadda I know, I'm still playing round with $4K engines running high 6's 8th mile on Pump gas(Back when you were somebody doing that), through the mufflers with a full steel body, and iron heads.