News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Indy EZ-1 Kit

Started by charlie45, December 07, 2012, 11:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

Hi,

I just purchased a 68 Charger RT, and am already eager to do upgrades  :drool5:

In the long run, I will probably want a 500 stroker kit, but for now I've used up much of my budget for suspension (Hotchkis TVS), brakes (Wilwood), and some other things. So the stroker kit will have to be postponed...

Nonetheless, I still want to do some mods to the engine now. Btw, the engine is pretty much stock with exception of a Edelbrock RPM Performer intake manifold and an Edelbrock 800CFM carbureutor. Unfortunately, I can't say what kind of camshaft is in there...

Here are some of the other mods that I had in mind for now: Complete new exhaust (3" with X-pipe assembly) including TTI headers; Ignition Control Box MSD 6AL & MSD Street Blaster SS

According to my mechanic the engine did okay in terms of the compression test (not great but okay, unfortunately I don't have the values handy).
So I'm thinking of also putting other heads on the engine now, but obviously I want ones that I can use in the future if/when I go with the 500 stroker kit. The question is if it makes to get the Indy EZ-1 kit now? Will they work well with the current setup (ie. Edelbrock carb & RPM Performer manifold)? Or is better to just leave the stock ones on there for now, and go with the Indy Heads when I do the complete stroker kit? Thx in advance for feedback...

cdr

i would wait,,,,that worn 440 aint gonna like it,putting a good sealing smaller combustion chamber heads on & the rings will say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :RantExplode:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XS29L

The EZ-1 heads have a Max wedge sized intake port so the intake manifold you mentioned wouldn't work.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

charlie45

Quote from: cdr on December 07, 2012, 05:05:55 PM
i would wait,,,,that worn 440 aint gonna like it,putting a good sealing smaller combustion chamber heads on & the rings will say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :RantExplode:

Hey, thanks for the insight. That's pretty much what my mechanic said but wanted to get some 2nd opinions....

FLG

Also 800cfm is a tad too much carb, not to mention edelbrock isnt a very good choice.

Grab a 750 proform, you wont be disappointed.

charlie45

Quote from: FLG on December 08, 2012, 05:46:18 AM
Also 800cfm is a tad too much carb, not to mention edelbrock isnt a very good choice.

Grab a 750 proform, you wont be disappointed.

Thats similar to what the guy (mechanic) said. He said to wait on the heads, and just put a 750CFM Carb on there (maybe the Holley 750 HP Ultra) for now. Just wanted to get more expert opinions on here... Thx

Any other mods that come to mind on the current engine besides the 750 CFM carb, Full exhaust/headers, electronic ignition? 

charlie45

How much horsepower do you roughly estimate I would be generating with that set-up (tti headers w. full 3in. exhaust, 750 carb, MSD ignition system) on the 440 engine? Thx

Ghoste

Impossible to say without knowing more.  Is it the stock 68 440 or a swap from another year, camshaft is a biggie, your mechanics idea of "okay", these are all important factors for that question.

FLG

With a nice mild street cam like a Engle K56 (great choice if you want good numbers and street manors) you should be in about the 450hp range on iron heads. What headers do you have? Youll want 1 3/4" if you want some nice low rpm torque numbers.

charlie45

Quote from: FLG on December 10, 2012, 01:48:22 AM
With a nice mild street cam like a Engle K56 (great choice if you want good numbers and street manors) you should be in about the 450hp range on iron heads. What headers do you have? Youll want 1 3/4" if you want some nice low rpm torque numbers.

I"m having TTI headers and full 3" exhaust put on...

skip68

The year of the motor and internals makes a huge difference.  It could be a 73 or later 440 and be making 250HP?   :shruggy:  Or, a 73 or later 440 with better pistons for more compression and other parts and making over 400HP?   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

charlie45

Okay guys, I'm actually contemplating getting a new crate motor (street killer krate) from Muscle Motors now. Are they a fairly reputable shop? Qualitywise comparable to Indy???

Point is for the amount of money that I would spend here in Germany to modify/upgrade this and that... It almost makes more sense just ordering a crate engine from the states... Especially given the exchange rate... 

cdr

Quote from: charlie45 on December 10, 2012, 02:03:35 PM
Okay guys, I'm actually contemplating getting a new crate motor (street killer krate) from Muscle Motors now. Are they a fairly reputable shop? Qualitywise comparable to Indy???

Point is for the amount of money that I would spend here in Germany to modify/upgrade this and that... It almost makes more sense just ordering a crate engine from the states... Especially given the exchange rate... 

:2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

skip68

I would agree with that.   :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: charlie45 on December 10, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

One of our members was looking to upgrade his 440 awhile back so i referred him to Dwayne Porter for a set of heads. Dwayne did a basic stage 1 port/prep on a set of aluminum Mopar Performance 452 castings. These heads are made for MP by Edelbrock but have straight spark plugs instead of the angled spark plugs which opens up your options for headers. With the RPM heads you're pretty much limited to TTI headers and those are not in everyone's budget and Justin had a pre-existing exhaust system designed for a straight plug head.....so the MP heads made sense because he would be able to use his existing headers/exhaust and not have to buy all new stuff.

There were problems with that 440 and he decided to go with a stroker build. I suggested he contact Best Machine in Michigan and have them build a 500in stroker using the MP heads as a platform for the combination. The end result was an impressive low RPM torque monster that runs on pump gas  :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,93595.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs