News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Galvanized pan between fender extensions ?

Started by FJ5WING, November 22, 2012, 08:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

Does anyone have a go to method for restoing the flat belly pan on Superbirds? When I was ta the shop I got a good look at mine and realized its in need of attention and I have no desire to paint it body color.
The pan itself is in pretty good shape with some minor surface rust and no dents or bends but it needs to look pretty again.

TIA,
Dave
wingless now, but still around.

Hemi Runner

I guess the proper thing to do would be to strip it and have it galvanized again???

Aero426

MoparJohn can talk more about it, but I believe he has knowledge that the original spangle of the galvanizing process is tough/impossible to duplicate.   

JB400

Maybe a replacement part would be more better unless it's just a driver

FJ5WING

Doug, I know the process of duplicating the original appearence is next to if not completely impossible but was wondering what others have done.
Im really set against painting the panel unless its my only option.

I'll have to get in touch with MoparJohn!

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

nascarxx29

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86070.msg1091451.html#msg1091451

Re: Australian Petty Blue Superbird Restoration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this the part you were asking about?  If so, I have seen it both bare galvanizing and painted black.  Not sure if one or both ways are correct.

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

FJ5WING

my parts look like theyve already been restored compared to those in the link.

Yes, Thats the piece Im referring to, Ive seen them black too but always thought it was done post manufacturing. I could live with black although it makes no sense. :shruggy:
Any suggestions on degree of gloss? :D

This question gets em everytime! :nutkick:

talkiemopar

I have checked my unrestored bird that i bought new.The center pan is galvanized with no paint.Hope this helps. :scope: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: Rick.

FJ5WING

THANKS Rick!!!!

Id love to leave my pan natural but I dont think I can get the finiah restored properly.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

Dave,
I work every day on a hot dip galvanizing line! Not that long ago I tried everything I could to replate a transmission dust cover. The transmission dust cover is similar in finish to the Superbird lower valance. Our process heats the steel to the same temparture as the zinc bath and it becomes one and the excess is blown off with a pair of nitrogen fed knives. When I dip a part long enough to have the zinc stick it comes out all distorted and warped! Over the years due to EPA regulations the lead that was in the process was phased out. Due to the lower lead content it is impossible to get the right spangle look. Each time we have a shut down or abnormal situation I take a close look at the coated steel and it's always to shiny and no spangle.
  I have also tried bead blasting my trans dust cover and it does brighten it up but it ruins the zinc coating. Here is what has worked best for me. If your part is not all rusty and corroded just take a piece of fine wet sand paper and give it a light wet sand. It will brighten it up and not loose the galvanized look. If that's not possible look through Eastwoods catalog and they had a spray zinc look alike. I think both of these solutions look better than painting the valance!
 I hope this info helps you decide which way to go!
MJ

FJ5WING

John,
Thanks for the informative input!!!!! :2thumbs:
I do have some light corrosion so the wet sand/polish is out. Ill lightly blast and hit it with some of the Eastwood coating. Thank You!!!!!! :cheers:

FJ5WING

Ive been told by the shop I  provided the incorrect attaching hardware for the pan.

Does anyone have specs for the attaching hardware?
Thanks!
Dave

FJ5WING

RealWing

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 30, 2012, 03:14:24 PM
Ive been told by the shop I  provided the incorrect attaching hardware for the pan.

Does anyone have specs for the attaching hardware?
Thanks!
Dave

Some Superbirds were painted black on the bottom only. The paint didnt stick very well since it was applied over the galvanize. These are some photos from an original unrestored bird with a closeup of the bolts.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

RealWing

Some photos of the rad support seal and bolts and the 2 plastic push pins.. These original  bolts were manufactured by the Anchor Bolt Co.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

FJ5WING

RealWing,

Thank you VERY much for some great pictures!

I was at the shop last week and discovered that my pan has trace evidence of black paint around a few of the bolt holes protected by the bolt heads from the elements. I'll be painting my pan black afterall.