News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building a glove box

Started by RIDGERACER383, December 22, 2012, 11:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

My glove box was long gone when I bought my car.I know there made of cardboard or something similar.I always wanted to make one out of sheet metal to look just like factory or even aluminum.Has anybody done this?
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

JB400

Lookin  forward to the results though. :2thumbs:

RIDGERACER383

It would definitely be way more durable.Even powder coat it black too.

Would be hard to put in place with the dash installed. The cardboard liner has some give to squeeze through the opening. Sheet metal is not so easy unless you design it to be assembled in place.

RIDGERACER383

It looks like it would be really tight using metal.

bull

You must have some left over rebar and road sign metal from your fuel tank repair.

That would be quite cool in a rat rod, a street sign glove box.

Ghoste

Of course one of the nice things about the cardboard ones is that you can install it with the dash in place.  If your dash is already in the car, you're going to have to assemble this thing like a ship in a bottle to some degree.

b5blue

And be careful of the FUSE PANEL!   :lol:

y3chargerrt

Quote from: bull on December 23, 2012, 03:18:07 PM
You must have some left over rebar and road sign metal from your fuel tank repair.

Thats one of the funniest things I have read in a longtime!

RIDGERACER383

Sounds like it would be tricky.I don't think anybody has done it before.

tan top

clever idea  :yesnod:  , like the others say  ,  not going to happen  , its tricky to get a OEM type in   :icon_smile_blackeye:
metal one piece liner cant see it happening  , unless you fit it , then bolt the dash in  :yesnod:  , or   make it in kit form , out of five bits of metal , screwed together ,  :scratchchin:

thinking  also , it would vibrate / resonate being metal   :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

It's a good thing to have a cardboard glove box.  Chargers are notorious for leaks around the windshield and the bottom of the cowl.  When the glove box gets soggy you know it's time for your next project.   :icon_smile_big:

If you want to make one out of metal then make it out of aluminum and make it in seperate pieces that fit together with folding tabs.  You can have one piece that is top, bottom, back and two seperate sides so you can assemble it inside the dash.  You can even finish it off by covering it in fabric with some contact cement.

It's doable and it could be a fun project but once the glove box door is shut you'll have to decide if it was worth it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Turn it into a mini fridge to hold about 4 beers, then it would definitely be worth it.

Ghoste

Then where would you keep your owners manual, spare fuses, and loose change. :lol:

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on December 24, 2012, 09:11:28 AM
Then where would you keep your owners manual, spare fuses, and loose change. :lol:
console

Sublime/Sixpack

I enjoy fabricating parts as much as anyone, but all things considered you're better off sticking with cardboard for the glove box. :yesnod:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 24, 2012, 09:12:04 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 24, 2012, 09:11:28 AM
console

Assuming he has one.  ;)

JB400

RIDGERACER383

I have a console.If I do decide to make one I think everybody is right about making it in pieces.

Charger-Bodie

I wish I had pics,but I made one for a stereo in my old gold charger . It was not that hard and I took out. The bolt.  That supports the dash  under the kick panel to flex it out and slid the steel glove box in from behind. Worked great.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Just wondering Ridgeracer, but why have you always wanted a metal one?

RIDGERACER383

A metal one that is powder coated will last forever.Seeing I'm never selling my car,that will be one thing I'll never have to replace.

Ghoste

How many have actually gone through a cardboard one ?

Ghoste

I never have even come close but I sure have seen a lot of cars missing them.

Mike DC

Cardboard is too flimsy but that doesn't mean metal is required.  Fiberglass would work.  Some kind of vacuum-formed plastic would probably be even better. 

speedfreak68

Someone made an aluminum one in a build thread... it looked real good, I'll see if I can find it.

yeahitsgotahemi!

That was me....
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

yeahitsgotahemi!

I have no heater box, so it just fits up through the back of the dash in one piece. I riveted two pieces together to make it. Would of been nice to TIG weld it, but I don't have a TIG welder.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Dino

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on January 16, 2013, 11:45:54 PM
I have no heater box, so it just fits up through the back of the dash in one piece. I riveted two pieces together to make it. Would of been nice to TIG weld it, but I don't have a TIG welder.

Do you think it would be doable to make one of those that fits through the front?  Maybe in two pieces?  Looks real nice.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

yeahitsgotahemi!

Quote from: Dino on January 17, 2013, 07:31:06 AM
Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on January 16, 2013, 11:45:54 PM

Do you think it would be doable to make one of those that fits through the front?  Maybe in two pieces?  Looks real nice.   :2thumbs:

Any thing is possible. I suppose you make the back smaller than the glove box opening and cut reliefs so that the front opening of the box would fit through. Two piece could be possible too.

C928BRAN

i made one out of metal, to fit my aftermarket stereo, and covered it with felt. was a biotch to make, but works great, and looks like it came that way. i didnt want to remove the factory stereo, so i put the aftermarket one in the glove box, and thats about all there is room in there for now, is gloves.

The70RT

Quote from: 440 on December 25, 2012, 04:54:03 PM
How many have actually gone through a cardboard one ?

I did, on a hard right hand turn running from the cops my glock busted through and hit the floor.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rolling_Thunder

I made a steel one way back when to mount my fuse block, MSD box, MSII, and ignition stuff...    but gave it away when I sold my EFI stuff
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RIDGERACER383

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on January 16, 2013, 11:12:52 PM

Wow man that looks really sharp...That's exactly what I'm looking for.I haven't been on here in awhile and just read the replys.

ws23rt

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on January 16, 2013, 11:12:52 PM
That was me....

Very nice.  I see the next step (thinking outside the box) as being not too tough.  :2thumbs:

flyboyedwards

I too have considered making one from aluminum. I DO have a tig welder and even some of the right alloy aluminum! Should I make it to the exact dimensions as the cardboard one, or are there places that could be modified?