News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 charger gen lee roll cage

Started by scoobyinc, January 07, 2013, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyinc

Hey I have a gen lee replica minus roll cage. Now that kids are getting bigger I thought about puttin an authentic looking cage in it.
Anyone out there have the exact specs etc on it?
Own a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T General Lee. Been racing 01 schemed Renegade & Sportsman cars since 1995. Own a Dodge Viper with a complete balanced & rotating SCCA Arrow motor & it SUPERCHARGED! My truck is a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins. Love my DODGE'S!!!

marshallfry01

Have you checked out the confederate general lee fan club? I know they have every measurement of the decals and push bar. They should have the roll bar too.  Oh, and let's see some pictures of that general lee!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Indygenerallee

I have a authentic cage with all the DOH Stuntmen signatures. It's for sale since I decided to build a Daytona and not a General Lee.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

JB400

Smith bros might be your best bet.  They have pix in thier catalog.  Either buy it from them or as been mentioned, the cglfc.com might give you the measurements.  Are you looking at doing the whole cage or just the roll bar behind the seats?  If you want to do a whole cage, I'd buy a prebent cage from a race shop.  Some of them are cheaper than if you bought the metal and made it yourself.  More than likely, safer as well.  As far as I can tell, the only difference between the rollbar of gl and a race car is the diagonal brace.  Most gl's on the series had them run diagonal from passenger side down to the floor on the left side.  This is what the Smith Bros. sell.

Here are pix of Lee 1 when they found it.  Maybe, it'll give you an idea of how they were done early on in the series.
http://www.generalleefanclub.com/71/71.html  I looked on cglfc.com, and this is what they refer to.

Mike DC

Hollywood does rollcages differently than the racecar world does.  You can either build a cage to match the Dukes GLs, or you can make it racetrack legal - but you can't make one cage do both.      

There's also a wide range in how GL rollbars have been done over the years.  The "hero cars" for close up shots were done differently than the actual stunt cars were done.  In the vast majority of the TV series footage after the first few episodes, they showed a very basic 2pt rollbar that was mainly for looks.  The jump cars got more extensive cages but you hardly ever saw them up close.  

The 2005 Jessica Simpson movie used much more elaborate cages in all the cars, including hero cars.  But the hero cars were still missing certain bars that rendered the cages more for looks than function.  

scoobyinc

Man thanks for all your help!! Believe or not I have only posted on one other racing forum EVER!! So bare with me as I am figuring all this out. lol
I make a living on the internet but yet never have chatted etc...
Own a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T General Lee. Been racing 01 schemed Renegade & Sportsman cars since 1995. Own a Dodge Viper with a complete balanced & rotating SCCA Arrow motor & it SUPERCHARGED! My truck is a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins. Love my DODGE'S!!!

Cooter

Yeah, a bunch of good guys over to the CGLFC board. You'll most likely find out more info. about it there. I think the cages in the Original General Lees changed over the seasons as well, so that is a factor too.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"