News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear window Louver installation

Started by 71green go, January 16, 2013, 11:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71green go

Does anyone Have any information on How they installed the Factory Louvers on The 3rd Generation Chargers?

I received my Reproduction Louvers and they are extremely well made and Not as Fragile as the original ones were but are made exactly the same.....

However they came with a few metal clips and studs but does not say how to assemble and mount them.......

I was hoping for any old manuals...or such showing how they were mounted at the dealership

Thanks!!
Steve

billfury

I believe you have to drill a hole at the two bottom corners. I think the top has clips.  :shruggy: Not sure on that one. Please take a bunch of pictures when you're doing this.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

twilt

Steve,  I just sent you a PM with a link that may help you.   :cheers:

71green go

Thanks Tom....but that louver shown is not the 71 b body style.........it looks like A body one....that book is wrong lol......

71green go

Haven't mounted them yet...but found this info on moparts posted by Dayclona

There should be two metal tabs, appprox 3 inches or so long, that install under the center piece, in each corner, you'll have to locate and fit the pcs on your car, as to how you desire them, the center pc is held in place with the previous mentioned tabs that are appprox 3 "X 1/2", hiddden under the center, 2 holes above the top trim are neeeded, in the roof, (all the window trim stays on), the side pcs, require a screw hole, or stud clearance hole located approx on or near the rear qtr peak, (there should be a boss for a stud, or a stud glassed in at the bottom tip of the end pc).....you need to nut the stud from inside the trunk, the upper section of corner pc attaches with a screw into the center pc, a rather poor "factory" set up.....the center section of the actual louvers, installls with two "nubs" that lock into place on the drivers side, they then lay into place, and are retained with a snap/spring loaded rod, that locks them into place on the lower passenger side,.....you'll need to spend some quality time laying them out on the car, I'recommend taping them into place, and fitting them to the car, shaping them to achieve a nice fit,.....it will take some time,.....I'm not to sure if Gean G's louvers have all the hardware offered with them, however Gean did purchase the original Chrysler vendors tooling for his louvers, and they are superior to the "layed-up" fiberglass matted ones that I had made in the past for some of my customers cars, my tooling was off reproed Hemmmingway's louvers,.........Gean G's are pressure formed FRP as original.....hope this helps

randy73

Are those fiberglass or metal and where did you get them?

71green go

Quote from: randy73 on January 19, 2013, 08:19:34 PM
Are those fiberglass or metal and where did you get them?

Mine are injection molded Fiberglass just like the originals.......I have found some more information through a guy that I will post........Mine were made By Gene Gregory he reproduced them from original molds
I did find out that even though his are of Thicker construction then the originals it causes fitment problems......and some of the parts are twisted slightly....
They look great when mounted, but a knowledgeable person could tell the fitment concerns.....

I will post my mounted ones and the pics of original set with mounting tabs

Steve