News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter Glass Install and Adjust Thread

Started by HeavyFuel, January 24, 2013, 11:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

This is the original door and glass, and the door hinges were not moved during the resto.

I'll start making small adjustment to the qtr glass bolts as you guys described.  :2thumbs:

Does the door glass look right as it sits against the outside fuzzy at the beltline?  How about the way it lays against the top weatherstrip? :scratchchin:  I hate to mess with the door too much if it's about where it should be. 

I think at this point the needed adjustments must be to the qtr glass and make it meet the side glass.  Because if I tilt the side glass at all to match the qtr glass, the side glass top will land to far in and miss that flat outer surface of the weatherstrip.   

Charger-Bodie

One thing Id like to add is that when you get the 1/4 glass close you need to start checking it with the upper pad in olace because it can and likely will effect it some.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

HeavyFuel

Ok.   That makes sense.  I did think about that for the side glass and cat whiskers.  I do it for the qtr glass as well.

tan top

down a few times
Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 30, 2013, 12:43:14 AM
Now this is a problem, I think.  

1-2)  The side glass does not align with the qtr glass, as shown.  I'm not sure which glass needs the adjusting.....maybe both.  The side glass doesn't seem to have very much ability to adjust, especially when you consider how the whole assy slides into the door and the attaching points.

Of course, the gap disappears when you close the door tight, so I thought at first maybe this gap might be normal, but two things changed my mind:
   A.  The side glass can barely be moved when the door is closed because of the pressure.
   B.  The qtr window gets FUBARed when you crank it down and then try to go back up again.

What seems weird is the qtr glass really doesn't have any room to tilt in at the top or out on the bottom........so I'm not sure what exactly to try to fix this. :scratchchin:

I wish I could go back in time and slap the guy that designed this.  (Actually if I could go back in time, that wouldn't even get on the list of stuff to do....but that's another thread.)

what the other guys say  :cheers: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

also from when i done mine can remember , when all the doors strikers latches fitted & aligned correctly , & the vent window frame is adjusted so the gap looks right to the windshield pillar , wind the door glass up & down a few times , adjust the rear door glass run channel , as necessary so it move up & down easy & smooth , then wind the door  glass back up , now adjust the rear quarter glass, in or  as necessary , so when winding up it slides behind the stainless strip on the back edge of the door glass & no gap , also the vertical gap between the two edges of the glass should the parallel

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

:scratchchin:  So be ready to do all 4 side windows at the same time...

tan top

Quote from: b5blue on February 01, 2013, 07:11:27 AM
   :scratchchin:  So be ready to do all 4 side windows at the same time...

yes sort of , or at least one side at a time  , might have to adjust the front & rear a few times to get it how you want ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HeavyFuel

Been hitting this project on and off over the last few weeks....was on it again yesterday for a few hours.   :eek2:

Learning a few things, like the main culprit causing the missalignment of the side glass to qtr glass was the repo rail weatherstrip.  I went back to the original stuff, and am proceeding with the adjustments.

I'll post in detail when I get things all squared away. 

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 25, 2013, 11:35:32 AM
Been hitting this project on and off over the last few weeks....was on it again yesterday for a few hours.   :eek2:

Learning a few things, like the main culprit causing the missalignment of the side glass to qtr glass was the repo rail weatherstrip.  I went back to the original stuff, and am proceeding with the adjustments.

Ah that's what I forgot to do, check the new seal.  Have to do that tonight and see if it has that lip or not.  I sure hope it does because the original ones are hard as a rock.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 25, 2013, 11:35:32 AM

Just did these this weekend. Repro weatherstripes were fine. Are yours the Metro ones or?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

HeavyFuel

They might be.  I yanked 'em out of the bag last summer and tossed the bag.  I'm pretty sure I got 'em from Mega, so whatever brand they peddle.  I'll dig through my receipts.

Does your moulding differ in shape from where the door glass contacts and where the qtr glass contacts it?

The qtr glass area of the moulding has a groove for the glass to live in, cause the glass rises up from below.  The side glass rubber is mostly flat at the glass contact area for the closing door glass to lay against it.

Does your repo stuff do that?  Mine didn't....it was the same shape the whole length, and the glass wouldn't align.

HeavyFuel

Charger-Bodie

Not sure what year -one carries. I have had new ones that weren't right though. The ones I installed over the weekend were metro and from mega parts. They were very nice to install and the glass hits them cherry.

HeavyFuel

Hey....that's good news.  Kinda.    

I get to buy new mouldings :'(, but at least I don't have to re-use the old ones. :icon_smile_big:

Thanks. :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Well crap...I guess I'm just too dumb to make these repo mouldings work.

The ones I have are Metro's.  This is what I ordered from YO:

1966-74 A/B/E-Body
CC2015 
Roof rail weatherstripping,
1968-1970 B-body coupe models, reproduction

So if they worked great for you, and not me........well, I guess that says something about my skills....or yours.

Charger-Bodie

Right there is your problem. You have coupe seals ,you need hardtop seals.

Dino

1HotDaytona, do you know the metro part number for the correct seals?  I need to check mine before I rip the old seal off the car.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on February 26, 2013, 07:38:02 AM
1HotDaytona, do you know the metro part number for the correct seals?  I need to check mine before I rip the old seal off the car.

Dirk, I will try to remember to look tonight . The package should still be in the garbage can in my garage.

Dino

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 26, 2013, 07:46:04 AM
Quote from: Dino on February 26, 2013, 07:38:02 AM

Dirk, I will try to remember to look tonight . The package should still be in the garbage can in my garage.

Thank you much my friend!   :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

I went out and got the number quick before heading off to work. The number is : rr 4001-a 68-70 mopar b body 2 Dr hardtop , no post.

Dino

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 26, 2013, 08:23:17 AM
I went out and got the number quick before heading off to work. The number is : rr 4001-a 68-70 mopar b body 2 Dr hardtop , no post.

Awesome!  I'll compare it to mine tonight.  Thanks!   :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Yes.  Thank you, HotDaytona.

Coupe, sedan, hardtop. :scratchchin:    I thought I had a grasp of the meanings...... :shruggy:

Finn

Wow...pretty sure I have the wrong seals too. That explains a lot.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

HeavyFuel

OK....my struggles with the seals continue.

(My progress on the car has been slowed to almost a standstill and in fact I'm starting to doubt my own intelligence.  I fear my sanity is the next thing to go.)

Ordered up and rec'd the different seals (4001a Hardtop), and gave them a look.  Hmmm, the profile looks pretty close to the ones that I ordered before that were for a B Body Coupe, but they are a little fatter in the base area.  No little groove for the qtr seal to slide into.     Crap

Let's compare length.  Hmmm, the 4001a's are a little bit longer from the base of the windshield end to the corner (pic 1).  Crap......no way these can be the right ones. :shruggy:

I looked for markings on the back of the repo seals.  The Hardtop and Coupe seals both have '4001' moulded on the back from Metro.   :shruggy:

I don't know what the heck is going on.  For now I'm gonna use my original '68 seals, and work on other parts of the car.  Problem is, I don't have that much left, pretty much just interior, and these damn things are holding up the show.

The pics show that there is clearly a difference between the orginals and the repos.  

Hotdaytona...I don't know how you got your 4001a's to work but I suspect that your glass was already adjusted with the original seals in place and somehow the repos went in and worked.  Have you tried to operate the windows with the new seals?  How do they function?