News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

afraid to drive the superbird anymore..opinions??

Started by GOTWING, January 27, 2013, 08:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

My superbird clone is being made out of an original B5 blue 70RR. Some consider that valuable. My steel repop nose was 5K. My aluminum block was nearly 4K. My twin turbo's were 5k for the pair. I will have enough in this car to buy a real bird but the feeling of screaming it down the quarter mile at 170mph will be priceless. The reality is all those expensive parts could be turned to scrap in an instant but it still won't sway me from racing it or driving it on the street.

Hemi_tyme

I'm more worried about tire wear on both my Superbirds, than being afraid of driving them   :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

62 Max

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on January 28, 2013, 10:12:41 PM
I'm more worried about tire wear on both my Superbirds, than being afraid of driving them   :2thumbs:

Wanna swap color's for a while ?

johnnyseville

Quote from: Hemi Runner on January 28, 2013, 09:09:25 PM
My superbird clone is being made out of an original B5 blue 70RR. Some consider that valuable. My steel repop nose was 5K. My aluminum block was nearly 4K. My twin turbo's were 5k for the pair. I will have enough in this car to buy a real bird but the feeling of screaming it down the quarter mile at 170mph will be priceless. The reality is all those expensive parts could be turned to scrap in an instant but it still won't sway me from racing it or driving it on the street.

It isn't just about money, the insurance covers that.  If you had an original you would understand.  I did not think about it until after buying it :brickwall:  BTW... I would not hesistate running it at the track, wish I had one local, would have all my cars there every good weekend.
too many to list!

GOTWING

almost everyone at car shows says hey those noses are fiberglass rite? i respond, no it's metal just like the rest of the car. I put a glass nose on it well it will confuse everything even more and will get the "that's not a real one it has a glass nose on it"  :eek2:
yeah i will see what happens, i have a few leaks to take care of since just about everthing is 1970 original, i have to fix my power steering pump and steering box leaking problem along with the trans fluid that drips bad. I wonder if i can get into a real 70 hemi R/T Charger for under 90K  :scratchchin:

WINGIN IT

"I wonder if i can get into a real 70 hemi R/T Charger for under 90K  "

Probably , if you want a column auto and unpopular color.
Think were was a bronze one selling for $90K or near that , not too recently.

wingcarenvy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 28, 2013, 05:57:58 PM
Here's my suggestion.  Go to bed early Saturday night.  Wake up early Sunday morning.  Enjoy breakfast and go out into the garage.  Get in the car, fire it up, and go for a drive.  Don't know where your at, but most people on the road are usually headed to church.  In my area, there's nobody on the road before 9 am.  For one hour, just drive the car.  Then go home and put the car in the garage.  If in that one hour you find yourself worrying about wrecking it instead of enjoying the ride, I suggest you sell the car and get you a car that you can truely enjoy.  Sitting in front of the computer thinking about it is only going to talk yourself into selling it.  

Go for a ride, then decide.  :vert:

I agree. Thats what I do, since I love early morning anyways. I get up early on the weekends when all the drunks are in bed sleeping it off. Then I roll out and get out of town and drive some nice back roads till I am ready to go home, then I wipe it down and put it away. I am also one of those guys at the home depot parking lot loading plants in the trunk.  :lol:

Then again I do this regularly to my unrestored A12 Bee.

BTW I am in the market for a nice Superbird. So if you do decide to sell, I would like to be considered.

moparstuart

Quote from: wingcarenvy on January 29, 2013, 12:46:39 PM
Here's my suggestion.  Go to bed early Saturday night.  Wake up early Sunday morning.  Enjoy breakfast and go out into the garage.  Get in the car, fire it up, and go for a drive.  Don't know where your at, but most people on the road are usually headed to church.  In my area, there's nobody on the road before 9 am.  For one hour, just drive the car.  Then go home and put the car in the garage.  If in that one hour you find yourself worrying about wrecking it instead of enjoying the ride, I suggest you sell the car and get you a car that you can truely enjoy.  Sitting in front of the computer thinking about it is only going to talk yourself into selling it.  

I agree. Thats what I do, since I love early morning anyways. I get up early on the weekends when all the drunks are in bed sleeping it off. Then I roll out and get out of town and drive some nice back roads till I am ready to go home, then I wipe it down and put it away. I am also one of those guys at the home depot parking lot loading plants in the trunk.  :lol:

BTW I am in the market for a nice Superbird. So if you do decide to sell, I would like to be considered.
all that saudi oil baron cash   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

GOTWING

so to WINGIN IT , i guess asking for a 70 lime light,hemi Charger w/ white vinyl top,gut and rump stripe,pistol grip and power windows is asking a little much?  :icon_smile_big: well then how about plum crazy with same combo? i mean who would want a purple car anyway :D

wingcarenvy

Quote from: moparstuart on January 29, 2013, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: wingcarenvy on January 29, 2013, 12:46:39 PM

all that saudi oil baron cash   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Riiiiggghhhttt!! Thats why I am wing car less.  :brickwall: :lol:

moparstuart

I think its the camels eating you out of house and home   :icon_smile_big:

pettybird

Quote from: johnnyseville on January 29, 2013, 09:02:25 AM
If you had an original you would understand. 

Proven false repeatedly in this thread.  Just drive it.

moparstuart

Aero426

I honestly don't understand how driving a 70 Hemi Charger would make any difference in driving versus a wing car.   They are both valuable.   You wouldn't want to crash either one.  

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on January 29, 2013, 05:07:01 PM
I honestly don't understand how driving a 70 Hemi Charger would make any difference in driving versus a wing car.   They are both valuable.   You wouldn't want to crash either one.  

Right.  Now, if it was a '70 Super Bee on Facebook, I'd jump that sucker Dukes style until the frame cried.

Hemi Runner

I've owned my 70RR since 1983. It's an extremely nice early 90's restoration and I really don't want to crash it either but I'm not going to leave it set because I'm worried about it. I've slid that car sideways through every intersection in town with the rear tires smoking, I've mowed over street signs, hit curbs, I've shaved the bottom of the pan off going through town with the lights off at high rates of speed. And that's after it was restored.....   My friend lets his matching numbers hemi car sit because he's afraid to drive it. I have a lifetime of memories with my car and he's got a trailer queen that causes stomach ulsers....

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on January 29, 2013, 05:36:03 PM

Right.  Now, if it was a '70 Super Bee on Facebook, I'd jump that sucker Dukes style until the frame cried.
:o
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Hemi_tyme

Cool I'm in the market for a A12 car, Sold my Bee back in 2002 and still kicking myself

moparstuart

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on January 29, 2013, 09:49:54 PM
Cool I'm in the market for a A12 car, Sold my Bee back in 2002 and still kicking myself
there you go chris , you and ken should work out a deal  :icon_smile_big:    I dont know ken , chris loves wing cars but i think he loves that bee more .

johnnyseville

Quote from: pettybird on January 29, 2013, 04:53:45 PM

Proven false repeatedly in this thread.  Just drive it.

I don't see it proven, or will I need those funny cigarettes you smoke to be able to see it?
too many to list!

Mopar John

I have been pretty rough on the Superbird over the years. But when I really need to put the hammer down I do this!!!
MJ

pettybird

Quote from: johnnyseville on January 29, 2013, 10:17:26 PM
Quote from: pettybird on January 29, 2013, 04:53:45 PM

Proven false repeatedly in this thread.  Just drive it.

I don't see it proven, or will I need those funny cigarettes you smoke to be able to see it?

Roll call of some of the people in this thread who have cars and aren't afraid to drive them:

aero426
hemi_tyme
boss429kiwi
hemi68charger
62 max
1970moparmann
69_500
mopar john
(us)

funny cigarettes not required here.  I doubt any of actually daily drive our cars (last time I did was years ago) but that doesn't mean I don't leave it behind out of concern.  Truthfully, if I get the chance to go to a show and don't go, it's because I'm lazy and I'm tired of listening to oldies music.  'cause it ain't a cruise-in without Frankie fu@king Valle. 

wingcarenvy

Quote from: moparstuart on January 29, 2013, 09:55:10 PM
Quote from: Hemi_tyme on January 29, 2013, 09:49:54 PM
there you go chris , you and ken should work out a deal  :icon_smile_big:    I dont know ken , chris loves wing cars but i think he loves that bee more .

That would be a temptation I couldn't resist!  :D

hotrod98

Ken (hemi_tyme) said that he didn't think I would beat on my car a little in the hotel parking lot there in St. Louis. Heck, I don't mind beating on the car at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFsrIM5rA10

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams