News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wing stud repair

Started by DoubleDlover, January 30, 2013, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

:flame: :brickwall: :rotz: :RantExplode:
Wow what a nightmare.... Not 1 but ALL 8 studs were broke off.  But i got it done. As you can see from the pics. You cant just drill strait into  the bosses. You will screw the pooch on that one. There angled to match the way they go into the 1/4. Very important.  And it was a MUCH better fit using a drill size one smaller then what was recomended before tapping.

DoubleDlover

DoubleDlover

last

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Hemi Runner

Was that the wing that was on ebay recently?

WINGIN IT

Great job ! :2thumbs:
I've never had good luck with broken studs and tapping, you made it look easy  :icon_smile_big:

DoubleDlover

oh boy. it wasnt super easy. The part moved on one drilling and the drill bit broke off in the stud. So i had to buy a cobalt drill bit bigger and drill it out. Keeping that angle is really hard. As long as you go slow. Take your time. Check and recheck. it should be ok.

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: WINGIN IT on January 30, 2013, 07:52:02 PM
Great job ! :2thumbs:
I've never had good luck with broken studs and tapping, you made it look easy  :icon_smile_big:

same here, plus a steel stud in aluminum  :cheers: :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mopar John

Thanks for sharing! The pictures are a big +!
MJ

DoubleDlover

not a problem. The problems started because they put steel studs into aluminum. So that electrolious crap seezed them in. But with the heli coils they are stainless inbetween the steel and aluminum. So it should work better.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: DoubleDlover on January 30, 2013, 09:39:14 PM
...The part moved on one drilling and the drill bit broke off in the stud...had to buy a  bigger drill bit.. and drill it out ... Keeping that angle is really hard...

Ok now it sounds like what happens to me   :yesnod: :lol:

Are all the studs the same size? In that one pic the closest one to the camera seems pretty big compared to the rest . Wasn't sure if it was just the camera angle or what.

DoubleDlover

Hi yes. all the same size length wise. But i have a feeling the ones that the braces bolt to might be a little longer maybe? does anyone know the correct length for each stud? one more thing. You really have to make sure you drill the metal stud really close to down the center. Ir your off by to much. when you drill the final big hole. it will walk on you. Because steel is harder then aluminum. It will push the drill of to the side and your hole will not be in the right spot.

daytonalo

I have had this exact issue many times over the last 35 yrs , simply clean end of stud and then proceed to weld a non-plated nut over stud . You weld thru the nut with a decent heat setting  then work back and forth .

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonalo on February 06, 2013, 10:32:43 AM
I have had this exact issue many times over the last 35 yrs , simply clean end of stud and then proceed to weld a non-plated nut over stud . You weld thru the nut with a decent heat setting  then work back and forth .
:yesnod: :yesnod: the heat helps break it loose too ,  we do it all the time on used motors with alumiinm heads and exhaust studs broken off
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DoubleDlover

yes you are right. I did try that first. 2 of the studs actualy were sticking up 1/4 inch. So i was able to actualy screw a nut on 1 turn and then weld it on a high heat setting. it DID break it loose. But it would only turn a 1/4 turn before totaly locking up again for some reason.. And then the stud would shear off. So i kinda didnt have a choice this time...