News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Canadian vehicle title and registration

Started by Paul G, January 31, 2013, 06:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Do vehicles in Canada carry a title the same as vehicles do in the US? When a car is sold in Canada is the title signed over to the new owner same as in the US? How about registration?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Drache

Quote from: Paul G on January 31, 2013, 06:57:22 PM
Do vehicles in Canada carry a title the same as vehicles do in the US? When a car is sold in Canada is the title signed over to the new owner same as in the US? How about registration?

Here in BC we have what's called Transfer/Tax forms we fill out. That registers the car to the new owner through ICBC.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Paul G

What if the vehicle is leaving Canada, going to the US? In the US at the time of sale when the cash is being handed over the owner of the vehicle would sign the title over to the new owner. Some states require a notary stamp, some do not. The new owner has to take the title to his home state motor vehicle division office where they would issue a new title in the name of the new owner. Curious as to what type of paper work would follow the car when purchased in Canada, and going to the US?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

gers1968rt

Here in Ontario, we have what we call an ownership, which is called a permit by the province. It is about 7 by 7 inches, and is folded up to about 3.5 by 2.5 inches. When you sell your car you fill out the half of the ownership and sign it and give it to the buyer. The buyer then goes to the license bureau with proof of payment to get a new ownership in his name.
On a side note, when I purchased a car from the US, the license bureau kept the title, which really sucked because I wanted to keep it.
It would not be problem and probably a good idea to get a notary to sign the receipt, and that and the buyers portion of the ownership should be good to get a new title in your state.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

Drache

Quote from: Paul G on January 31, 2013, 08:12:25 PM
What if the vehicle is leaving Canada, going to the US? In the US at the time of sale when the cash is being handed over the owner of the vehicle would sign the title over to the new owner. Some states require a notary stamp, some do not. The new owner has to take the title to his home state motor vehicle division office where they would issue a new title in the name of the new owner. Curious as to what type of paper work would follow the car when purchased in Canada, and going to the US?

I believe there is a different form you ask for from ICBC that you would fill out. It would be similar to the Transfer/Tax form that the US citizen would take to their Motor Vehicle Division. Once it leaves Canada then the Canadian Government stops caring.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire