News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ger's 69 R/T restoration

Started by gers1968rt, February 16, 2013, 08:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gers1968rt

I bought this car in 07 and have finally started working on it. I got oem floors for this car before amd came out with them, so I was committed to installing them. It was alot of work because of the prep time needed to get them ready. I took off the inner rockers and undercoating that came with the main section.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

gers1968rt

skip68

We'll wait.   :cheers:   Looks good so far. :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

JB400

I'm patient.   I'm set with a round of drinks :cheers:, and plenty of snacks :popcrn: :lol:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1970Moparmann

Congrats!  Keep the thread going as your working on it.  I can see yet another inspirational thread for others.... :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Ryan

Good looking car.
OE beats AMD any day of the week, if your lucky enough to come across it.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

gers1968rt

gers1968rt

Ok, finally figured out the resizing and here are updates, she is certainly rough.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 16, 2013, 09:47:34 PM
I'm patient.   I'm set with a round of drinks :cheers:, and plenty of snacks :popcrn: :lol:

Have you come out of the closet at last? and owned up to the fact that you do drink?    :cheers:   :lol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

rick

It took me 3 years to do my r/t wants be every day working every day you wil get pissed but don't ever give up .my wife pushed me hard to finish it and I'm so glad now I'm pulling the 383 and dropping a 426 and getting rieid or the auto and replacing it with a 4 speed so hear I go just get it done :icon_smile_cool:

gers1968rt

Quote from: rick on February 17, 2013, 07:22:27 PM
It took me 3 years to do my r/t wants be every day working every day you wil get pissed but don't ever give up .my wife pushed me hard to finish it and I'm so glad now I'm pulling the 383 and dropping a 426 and getting rieid or the auto and replacing it with a 4 speed so hear I go just get it done :icon_smile_cool:

I hear ya, this is my second charger I am restoring, the first one was over 20 years ago.

gers1968rt

more

gers1968rt

and more

gers1968rt

After the floor was in, I tackled the filler panel support bracket and wheelwell that was rusted through. I could have bought the bracket but didn't want to wait for it.

gers1968rt

more

gers1968rt

Next up was fixing my lower rad support that was banged up bad.

gers1968rt

more

gers1968rt

Next up was straightening out the upper rad support, which was probably bent while removing or installing the long lost 440. My son Paul helped out with the oxy-acetylene torch while we shrunk the stretched parts.

gers1968rt

Next up I started to remove the passenger side rocker panel, and that is where I am at now. In total, this is 2 months of working on it, when I can.

rarefish

4 speed car?   I see a clutch bell crank stud on the frame rail.....

The last two pictures reminds me of the common spots that rust first starts to appear on Mopars of that era. In the lower quarter panel in front of the rear wheels. I believe that the culprit is the road dirt that can accumulate in this area blocking the drain weep holes that factory provides along the rocker pinch weld. Once dirt block the drains. Any water that runs down the quarter window will collect in this area then starting the rusting process. As you can see there is really no paint from the factory on the inner rocker panels.

gers1968rt

Quote from: rarefish on February 17, 2013, 09:30:53 PM
4 speed car?   I see a clutch bell crank stud on the frame rail.....

yes, a four speed, super trac pac car. fender tag reads: fender tag:         END,
                                                                                                       M31 N85 R11 V1X V8W 26
                                                                                                       A34 B41 B51 C16 C55 M21
                                                                                                       B7 C6D B7 314 057362
                                                                                                       E86 D21 XS29 L9B321298
no engine or trans, but the 4.10 dana is present.

mopar4don

after you removed the outer rocker, I see that peg and I was wondering what it was supporting or mounted to?