News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ger's 69 R/T restoration

Started by gers1968rt, February 16, 2013, 08:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rarefish

I just want to add how great these pictures are. They sure tell a story on how the unibody was put together, :2thumbs:

gers1968rt

Quote from: rarefish on February 17, 2013, 09:54:56 PM
I just want to add how great these pictures are. They sure tell a story on how the unibody was put together, :2thumbs:

Thanks rarefish, it is neat to see how it all fits together. I plan on putting in frame connectors, too.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

gers1968rt

Quote from: mopar4don on February 17, 2013, 09:50:30 PM
after you removed the outer rocker, I see that peg and I was wondering what it was supporting or mounted to?

It is just a 51mm heating pipe that I welded to the sub-frames and I beams.

rarefish

For all the sheet metal rust you have. The sub frame sections look to be very solid.

mopar4don

Quote from: gers1968rt on February 17, 2013, 10:03:41 PM
Quote from: mopar4don on February 17, 2013, 09:50:30 PM
after you removed the outer rocker, I see that peg and I was wondering what it was supporting or mounted to?

It is just a 51mm heating pipe that I welded to the rear frame and I beams.

Looks good, I REALLY like that I-beam jig! That thing will NOT move!

I'm having dimensional problems mounting my Charger onto my jig see my post starting at post#4 at this link
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?42981-Frame-rail-and-main-structure-measurements&p=909850703#post909850703
So did your front and rear dimension line up to the spec sheet?

charge69

Lots of nice work going on here! By the way, Looking at the numbers on your fendertag, my Charger R/T is just 80 numbers higher for the VIN and has the same build date (314). That was a Friday! Just keep going and good luck.

gers1968rt

Quote from: charge69 on February 17, 2013, 11:15:45 PM
Lots of nice work going on here! By the way, Looking at the numbers on your fendertag, my Charger R/T is just 80 numbers higher for the VIN and has the same build date (314). That was a Friday! Just keep going and good luck.

That is close to your car, that means both of my cars were built on a friday, lol

bill440rt

You've got mad skills.  :2thumbs:
Coming along nicely.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tan top

:scope: :scope:  good stuff going on !! keep the pictures coming !! love looking at this kind of stuff  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JB400

Quote from: Fred on February 17, 2013, 06:06:13 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 16, 2013, 09:47:34 PM
I'm patient.   I'm set with a round of drinks :cheers:, and plenty of snacks :popcrn: :lol:

Have you come out of the closet at last? and owned up to the fact that you do drink?    :cheers:   :lol:
I do drink.  Tea, milk, juice, soda every now and then, water, lemonade.  Just no alcohol.

Darkman

Great work going on!

Thanks for the frame specs too....may have to double check mine is all square before I put in the subframe connectors!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

PlainfieldCharger

Awesome Pics :2thumbs: :2thumbs:Keep these coming!

gers1968rt

Quote from: rarefish on February 17, 2013, 10:26:52 PM
For all the sheet metal rust you have. The sub frame sections look to be very solid.

Yes, the sub frames are pretty good, the guy I bought it from said the car came originally from Arizona and somehow got to upstate NY sitting in a leaking shed with no windshield or drivers window, and sat there for quite some time.

I removed the driver side rocker, it had all the same issues as the other side.

The bracket under the door jamb in the rocker panel was rusted, so I made a new one. I also opened up the amd box for my rocker to see if there was any brackets welded inside the rocker. There wasn't so I need to save the bracket that goes under the hinge area.

gers1968rt

Here is a pic of the other bracket.

gers1968rt

some more

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Dan T

Awesome work Ger, I have seen your 68 quite a few times at shows over the last 20 yrs, and if this one turns out as good, you will have an awesome car.
I bought my 69 R/T back in 07 as well.
We have to meet at one of the shows this summer
1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

gers1968rt

I cut off the lower hinge pillars both outside and inside because of bad rust, this made mocking up of the rockers easier.

gers1968rt

Here are the inner pieces I need to make at some later date. Tomorrow I plan on sandblasting the inner rockers and all welding attaching areas.

JB400

gers1968rt

Sandblasting when the temp is 22 F presents some problems which slowed down the job this morning, but I was able to finish blasting the inner rockers.

gers1968rt

Prepped the outer rocker for the brackets and installed the other, then was able to weld on the drivers side rocker.

Mopar Nut

Are you using any primer/sealant or under coating under the drivers side rocker?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

gers1968rt

Quote from: Mopar Nut on March 03, 2013, 12:42:08 AM
Are you using any primer/sealant or under coating under the drivers side rocker?

Yes, I coated the inner rocker with por15.