News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to sell a Charger 500?

Started by 69Charger500, February 17, 2006, 02:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger500

I might have to sell my 500 in the very near future.  What is the best way to sell these days?  How much should I ask for it?  Thanks,

T5, Black Interior, 440-4 Speed, Console, Super Track Pack...

Shakey

Barrett Jackson = Big $$$

However, you will have to fork over 8%.

69Charger500

Telvis

I don't think it will sell. I'll help you out though. I will give you $1500 and take it off your hands. Just because I like you and feel your pain.  :icon_smile_big:

694spdRT

If you want the most exposure Ebay is probably your best bet. Even if it doesn't meet your reserve many will see the ad and probably follow up after the auction ends.

There may be members on this site too so word of mouth might get it done. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Blown70

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 17, 2006, 02:28:44 PM
If you want the most exposure Ebay is probably your best bet. Even if it doesn't meet your reserve many will see the ad and probably follow up after the auction ends.

There may be members on this site too so word of mouth might get it done too. 

I agree set a good high reserve.  The no regrests amount.  Then if not met you can negotiate after the sale.  I happen to think it is one of the best ways to expose your car.

In addition some of the web boards can be of help for exposure, then well B-J if they will take the car.  WHICH it lookes like from the photos they would.

Tom

69Charger500

Thanks for the responses...  Any guesses on an asking price or reserve?  Isn't Barrett-Jackson only once per year?

Ghoste

Barrett-Jackson have more than one event but only the January circus is televised.  RM is actually a larger auction house and does more money per year than B-J and they have an office in Ypsilanti.  If you want, I can give you some phone numbers and they'll have someone come right over to your place to appraise it for you.

69Charger500

Thanks Ghoste,

That sounds like a good start for now...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Big Lebowski

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

BigBlockSam

if you put it up for sale you'll see how much bullshit there is out there . good luck it's a great car. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69Charger500

Any help on a price would be greatly appreciated.  The last car I sold 7 years ago was a '71 Challenger convertible, 383 Magnum N-Code, numbers matching, with nearly every available option, including A/C.  Oh, and it was FE5 Red, too.  It was a Tennessee car which I owned for 11 years and meticulously restored, even though it looked great as is.

My point is that now this car would probably sell for 2 or 3 or more times what I sold it for, and it is difficult enough to deal with losing the car, but then to see it skyrocket in value later just makes it that much worse.

If I have to sell the 500, it will either be quick, or not at all, because of the particulars of the situation.  The car will sell itself if the price is realistic, I just don't know what prices are anymore.  They seem to be all over the place.

Thanks,

69_500

Whoa, why would you want to sell that car?

Seriously though if you are wanting to sell it, let me know. I don't think I could possibly afford it at this moment, but man to add another 500 to the garage, especially a 4 speed one.

I'll PM you my phone number and such. Wouldn't do you any good but I'd trade you my R4 red one for it, since yours is a 4 speed.

69Charger500

Two reasons, mainly; can't drive it for another year due to the back surgery I recently had; and some big unexpected expenses I have to deal with quickly...

Ghoste

The way the market has been lately, I don't think anyone could realistically predict if it will skyrocket shortly after.  The market could just as likely crash hard right after selling.  You answered the question yourself by noticing that it's all over the place.  B-J was a freak strom that surprised even the most serious investment types.  It could go further or drop and that's the gamble you have to take.
As to value, you'll get a lot of opinions here, but that's all they are.  Rene is right, you'll quickly find the BS out there.  I don't know if there are any professional appraisers on the site but even if there are, I'd bet they are unsure right now if they are completely honest about it.
What do you think it's worth?  When approximately do you think you would have to sell it?

69Charger500

What do I think it is worth?  That is the problem I have.  I would tend to lean more towards the lower priced, conservative figures such as in Old Cars Price Guide.  I would be sick though, if I sold it for say $40K, and two weeks later someone flips it for $60K, or more.  Or worse yet, convert it into a Hemi Daytona and sell it for $150K...

But my opinion is that of an enthusiast, not a collector.  I don't want our cars to be unaffordable to those who have taken care of them over the last 30-40 years...  It just does not seem to be going that direction these days.

Blown70

Quote from: 69Charger500 on February 18, 2006, 10:58:32 AM
What do I think it is worth?  That is the problem I have.  I would tend to lean more towards the lower priced, conservative figures such as in Old Cars Price Guide.  I would be sick though, if I sold it for say $40K, and two weeks later someone flips it for $60K, or more.  Or worse yet, convert it into a Hemi Daytona and sell it for $150K...

But my opinion is that of an enthusiast, not a collector.  I don't want our cars to be unaffordable to those who have taken care of them over the last 30-40 years...  It just does not seem to be going that direction these days.

YOU NEED TO SET A NO REGRETS PRICE.  I have seen people buy and Flip later for a profit, often HUGE.  However, if you need to move it quickly that may not be as easy.    I say do not sell your self short.

Tom

69Charger500

By the way, I have no problem with the Hemi Daytona conversion thing.  I just can't believe the prices clones are going for.  Like that Hemi Plymouth that went for $125K or so at Barrett.  That is just unbelieveable...

Ghoste

RM sold a fake Hemi Cuda convertible at Boca last weekend for over 200k.  I know the car and the part thatis most sickening is that it can't even be called a clone.  The previous owner took a  Barracuda convertible, added a Crate Hemi and a shaker hood, slapped a set of billboard stripes and he's laughing all the way to the bank.  The really sickening part is that the guy who sold it is a Vette fan.  He thinks all of us Mopar fans are idiots and morons who don't appreciate real cars or understand how to properly invest in collector cars.  He lives in my hometwon so I'll have to listen to that smug crap for some time.
I'm like you.  More fan than investor so it would make me sick to be in your position too.  I know you've agonized over it already but I have to ask, are you absolutely certain there are NO other alternatives?  The way I see it, this could go one of two ways.  You sell the car and the prices keep rising at this stupid rate and you are forced to spend way more down the road to get back in the game, or, you sell now, the bubble pops and you buy one cheaper than you sold it for and laugh.  It's a coin toss.
As for preventing flippers, I don't think it can be done.  If you are willing to let the car go at an "enthusiasts" price, you need to try and ensure the car goes to someone like minded.  Otherwise, you have to learn to reconcile it with yourself that someone else may make a fat profit off the car in a short time.

mustanghater

I'll give ya $1100 for it and you can buy it back for $1100 in the future? :yesnod:
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

69Charger500

Ghoste,

I looked up RM's website.  They'll be running an auction here in Michigan in April.  That's a little late for me, but it might work out ok.  Stay tuned.  Maybe I'll try e-bay in the meantime, even though I'm a little leery of that whole thing.  Thanks for the info...

BigBlockSam

do your charger buddies a favor. when you figure out what you want for the car, offer it here first. you never know who's lookinhg for an aero car. then put it on ebay. thanks Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

I hope it works out that you don't have to sell it.

69_500

I agree, if you decide on a price that you would like for the car offer it up to someone on here first. I can tell you this, if your asking a realistic price for the car, I'd be interested for sure. And I'd be more than happy to add another C500 to my garage. If that was the case, you bet that car wouldn't be getting flipped anytime soon, but be driven all summer and enjoyed like my 500 is now.