News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger Door latches and Core support

Started by Silver Charger, February 17, 2006, 08:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Charger

1).  What color were the Door latches on the '68 Charger.  I've heard Cadnium, bare steel and "painted the same as the car".  I'm refering to the latch mechanism on the door, not the striker attached to the body.  Any help would be most appreciated.

2).  What color is the core support as you face the front of the car?  Black or same color as the car?

Thanks again for any info on this.  We're really getting close to this thing coming together.
1968 Charger R/T 440

bill440rt

Silver,
These questions have probably been answered here many times, but...

1) The latches were gold cad plated. At least that's how most of them I've seen are. The attaching screws were clear (silver) cad or bright zinc plated. If you ever see them painted body color, whoever restored/painted the car is a butcher and should not be restoring cars.

2) The core support was first painted body color, along with the rest of the body as an assembly. Then, it was oversprayed black. Most of the black went on the side baffles, with a little going up on each outer side of the upper tie bar. Same with the lower tie bar, there should be traces of black on the lower ends.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Silver,
Correction: Attached is a pic of my door jamb. On my car, the screws were black. I have seen them silver cad plated or zinc before, but mine were black. This car is a '70, but the rad supports were blacked out similarly for all years.

I apologize if I offended any people out there with painted door locks, it's just a pet peeve of mine. If you're taking the time to properly prep and paint a door jamb, at least remove the 3 lousy screws that hold the thing in place.  :-\
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

8WHEELER

:rotz: :rotz:  I was offended that's for sure  :icon_smile_big:  I have the same pet peeve about painting the door latch.
Boy it looks so much better natural color than painted body color, plus they never came painted body color. All of my 68's
screws that hold the latch on were raw metal color never painted.

Yes the inside of the rad support that faces forward should be painted black over the stock body color. I chose not to
redo mine that way, seems to look better, but they did paint them black as not to be seen through the grille.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.