News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

front end tie rods

Started by Tulugak, March 21, 2013, 07:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulugak

In 2011 I replaced the front end tie rods (clunking over bumps - both sides) at a Dodge Dealer - cost - $aprox $1000
Now, Mar 2013, I have to replace them again - non dealer price $700. I don't think they should wear out so quickly.
Let me know what you think.

Chatt69chgr

HPP

Ouch!

Considering tie rod ends are only about $25 each, you definetly got nailed with that repair.

However, clunking over bumps could also be ball joints or any number of the bushings in the front end. Combined with the brake clunking symptoms in your other post, I wouldn't jump on a tie rod replacement right away. They should last longer than a couple of years, even in daily driving. Odds are you have nto put that many miles on them. I'd have the lower control arm and strut bushings checked out before I did tie rods again.

68 RT

Usally clunking over bumps is ball joints.

Back N Black

Quote from: 68 RT on March 21, 2013, 10:31:13 AM
Usally clunking over bumps is ball joints.

I agree,sounds like ball joints. $1000 for tie-rod ends  :o That's over priced by $800.