News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

front brakes

Started by Tulugak, March 21, 2013, 07:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulugak

I get a small (not as loud as clunks) bang on the right front as soon as I touch the brakes. They seem to be working ok. What is the problem?

Charger-Bodie

most likely cause is strut rod bushings.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

Ive had my charger do that on an occasion.  Almost like the brake pad was shifting a little.  After trying to find out what it was, it finally went a way on its own.  Funny thing was it would only do it once and then the rest of the ride it was non existent.   :shruggy:  Then it completely stopped. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

billschroeder5842

I had the same thing over the summer. Are these drums?

I took the brakes apart and found that one of the springs had come loose.

I put everything back together and the clunk went away.
Texas Proud!

green69rt

Quote from: Tulugak on March 21, 2013, 07:26:57 AM
I get a small (not as loud as clunks) bang on the right front as soon as I touch the brakes. They seem to be working ok. What is the problem?

Disc or drum?? If disc there is either a spring or rubber cushion that keeps the shoe positioned in the caliper and takes up any small amount of slack so the shoe doesn't hit the caliper when you first apply the brake.   Need to see if it's there or broken??  If it's not there you'll hear a "clack" or thump when you first apply the brake. :Twocents:

resq302

66-69 disc brakes did not have springs or rubber cusions as they were a fixed caliper.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

green69rt

I checked the FSM and there is a shoe retaining clip on disc brakes.  This holds the shoe down tight to the caliper.   I guess it could be lose or weak and allow some shoe rattle or "clack" when brakes first applied.  Might be worth taking a look at.  FSM also refers to the shoe fitting "loose" in the caliper, only fix is to replace the shoes  An easy check.

cougs

Wow I get that with my 68 with drums.   Have no idea what it is.
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!