News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Orange Paint Question

Started by parkerswede, February 18, 2006, 03:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkerswede

My paint and body guy was looking up the hemi orange formulation for the '72 Charger. The book shows a silver metallic component. We mixed it up - look nice - but the metallic look it has doesn't seem right. Anyone know what hemi orange should look like? Thanks.

hotrod98

Technically, there are three hemi oranges. There are two engine colors and one exterior body color. The first engine color is the race hemi orange and the second engine color is the later street hemi orange.
The paint code for the body color is EV2 and yes it has metallic. Even vitamin c orange has a little metallic in it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

charger Downunder

I got mine painted and noticed the extra metalic i used ppg cobra paint in Australia, the spray painter said the newer style paints high lite the metalic more. paint code ev2.
[/quote]

NHCharger

Just had my 71 painted hemi orange. When we loaded it on the trailer the bodyshop owner said there appears to be a little metalflake in the paint. This was the first hemi orange car he did so he wasn't sure if the metalflake was part of the original paint or not.

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Just 6T9 CHGR

Exterior V2 orange does have a very fine amount of metalflake in it.  iIRC it should be gold metalflake though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

daytonalo

COULD ANYONE POST  A COUPLE OF PIX OF HEMI ORANGE PAINT JOB

hotrod98

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 19, 2006, 06:32:09 AM
Exterior V2 orange does have a very fine amount of metalflake in it. iIRC it should be gold metalflake though

I've been mixing paint, including hemi orange, for over 30 years and I've never seen a formula with gold flake. I've never seen any factory color, for that matter, that used gold flake. As far as I know, there has never been a mixing base available from any paint manufacturer that had gold flake. There are several aftermarket suppliers that make a gold dry flake, but the factories didn't use them.
Where did you get info that hemi orange had gold flake?

Charles Addams

daytonalo

HEY LARRY , WHAT BRAND OF PAINT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND WHEN USING HEMI ORANGE ?

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonalo on February 19, 2006, 12:49:12 PM
HEY LARRY , WHAT BRAND OF PAINT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND WHEN USING HEMI ORANGE ?

We've used just about every brand of paint on the market and we've had the best performace from PPG. Their new DBC basecoat is very user friendly. With their NCS sealers, you can make a repair after just a few minutes of spraying it, and the same with the basecoat. If you get trash or runs in it you just sand it with 1500 or 1700 grit and DX330 solvent cleaner. Lay out another coat or two and keep going. We're still using their 2021 clear. It's more durable than the cheap clears out there. We use the 3M Trizact system to wet sand and then buff with the Perfect-it III system.
I always double check every mix to make sure I get the match that I want. No matter what the paint companies tell you, they all get bad batches of mixing color from time to time.
Actually, to tell you the truth, we usually tint the color a little to brighten it up since hemi orange is a little "muddy" looking in my opinion. Back in the 60's and 70's the colors all had too much black and white toners in my opinion. I've created some formulas (panther pink comes to mind) where we replaced the white toner with white pearl. It really pops when you do that and it still looks right.

Charles Addams

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 19, 2006, 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 19, 2006, 06:32:09 AM
Exterior V2 orange does have a very fine amount of metalflake in it. iIRC it should be gold metalflake though

Where did you get info that hemi orange had gold flake?

No real info gotten.  I just assumed it might have been gold metal flake because a friend owns an unrestored 1970 Ev2 Hemi Charger.   It has original paint and if you look close there definately is metalflake in it.....maybe the orange color makes the flake look gold..........I dont know, you seem to be the mixing expert.   Is it silver flake then?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hotrod98

Most, if not all factory flakes are silver. Many times the flake will look gold due to the color of the paint itself. There are several different sizes of flake available from a very fine flake all of the way up to "boat" flake. I've mixed a lot of colors that use two or more sizes of flake in the same formula. Some flakes are polished on one side and some on both sides. There are even triangular flakes.
Back when I owned a couple of automotive paint stores, we sold several different colors of the aftermarket flakes as well, including gold. .   

Charles Addams

mally69

ok this is a late 69 Charger and R/T car this is the factory hemi orange color 
somepeople say im full of shit but when we stripped the  paint from the roof it was orange and looked as if it had a metallic look so did around the windows under the chrome peices all the orange on my car HAD a metallic color  as R4 red did NOT have mettalic

heres my car Hemi orange