News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Late model center console in my '68

Started by dkn1997, March 23, 2013, 10:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

My 68 already has late model Sebring seats in it.  i want to change out my original 68 console for something that looks better, has cup holders, functional arm rest (high). id also like it to kick up in the front to meet the bottom of the dash.  i like that look and it could house an aftermarket stereo, speakers, etc.

while alot of guys have done some incredible work on custom one-off consoles, id rather have more of a factory look....clearly not old factory...just more finished.  ive seen some late model consoles on ebay, most for about 100 bucks.  they would require some "field fabrication" but thats ok. 

has anyone done this?  i searched all over and i cant find many pics.  Any ideas on something thats close already? 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

was thinking something like these
RECHRGED

kab69440

Start with the underdash from a G body. Lots of room for stereo equipment. I'd then go with a center from an early 90's XJ.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

TexasStroker

I drew up some sketches this weekend for my custom console while working on a way to make a lower radiator support brace...

I've considered going the late model route as well...I will definitely follow along.  I know of a guy putting a late model SRT interior in, but he has yet to report back on the console aside from it needing to be widened a bit.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

dkn1997

got one from a chrysler 200.  ill keep you posted!
RECHRGED

TexasStroker

Sweet, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

dkn1997

Just got it..better than I thought.  didn't realize it had those round holes...I'm thinking gauges.  has usb slot, 12v power port in cubby, another 12v power port inside console compartment.. 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

cubby...I could make a plate for it and install a double din sized radio...maybe something with a nav screen.  my ultimate goal is a 3g hemi swap and cross country road trip
RECHRGED

JB400

I'll have to wait and see how this one turns out.  But, from a preliminary view, I think it's gonna be a little on the short side.

dkn1997

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on April 06, 2013, 11:04:41 AM
I'll have to wait and see how this one turns out.  But, from a preliminary view, I think it's gonna be a little on the short side.

2" shorter than stock one.  But...the stock console goes almost to the firewall.  this one will meet the dash 5"-6"before that.  I'll likely be trimming it because it will end up too long.
RECHRGED

TexasStroker

Can't wait to see it mocked up...

I have tricked the Mopar 10 out and would like to apply some of that to the Charger.

I will say this on the double din nav units...My original plan was to "keep it factory."  That was a horrible idea...The factory 130-4 Speaker set-up on late models has to be the worst stereo I have ever heard...I wouldn't put it in a taxi cab headed for duty in the middle east.  The factory nav units were in transition from tele-atlas (2010 back) to garmin (2011 _+).  Just my luck, the new units were not available and the old ones were sold out nation wide (short of pulling from inventory and replacing with lower grade or making that car wait).  Even with my discount, the price was ridiculous.

I decided to go aftermarket...My plan was to get a sweet double din that I could have a custom background on, dial up the perfect audio, and use as a navigation interface.  The price to go from a nice double din to the navi version in any line is pretty much 2x.  I was drawn to Alpine, but didn't like their lack of "customization."  Pioneer fit the bill and I'd had great luck with them in the past, but their maps were horrible.  Kenwood always gets touted and features Garmin, but at the time their units had that big time lag...You'd hit a button, wait it out, and then be greeted by the screen...They just didn't have the processor power for all the features.  It was finally in Vegas I got to try out a lot of the top of the line stuff and even the base Kenwoods lagged on me...

I loved the Pioneer, but knew I'd hate their navi...

I finally decided to go with the Pionner head unit and a stand alone Garmin unit.  The price for the head unit and navigation basically let me get the Alpine Amp and a pair of the Kappas for what I'd have paid for the 7" navi unit.

I know the all-in-one is a nice draw, but for me it just wasn't worth it...That said, just since early 2011 when all this was going down there have been big strides...Android finally had the equivalent "app mode" where you can essentially dock the phone and view google maps etc from the head unit.  That is another option if you are happy with a navi app on your phone etc.

The nuvi, or TomTom etc, would fit nicely in the new console or glove box and you could then use it across your entire fleet...much better upgrades as well, and without the price tag.

Again, can't wait to see it mocked up...The console is an awful lot like the late model Challenger.  The heater knobs are huge, I never thought to measure the slots for 2 1/16" when I had everything apart for the stereo upgrade...Could be the golden ticket!  That little slot on the side of the cup holder gives you a point to mount up a billet plate and run switches for your fuel pump, elec. fans, etc if you go that route.

Definitely hope to see pics soon...if you ever wind up coming thru Amarillo let me know and we'll get some cars out.

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

dkn1997

Quote from: TexasStroker on April 07, 2013, 03:46:31 AM
Can't wait to see it mocked up...

I have tricked the Mopar 10 out and would like to apply some of that to the Charger.

I will say this on the double din nav units...My original plan was to "keep it factory."  That was a horrible idea...The factory 130-4 Speaker set-up on late models has to be the worst stereo I have ever heard...I wouldn't put it in a taxi cab headed for duty in the middle east.  The factory nav units were in transition from tele-atlas (2010 back) to garmin (2011 _+).  Just my luck, the new units were not available and the old ones were sold out nation wide (short of pulling from inventory and replacing with lower grade or making that car wait).  Even with my discount, the price was ridiculous.

I decided to go aftermarket...My plan was to get a sweet double din that I could have a custom background on, dial up the perfect audio, and use as a navigation interface.  The price to go from a nice double din to the navi version in any line is pretty much 2x.  I was drawn to Alpine, but didn't like their lack of "customization."  Pioneer fit the bill and I'd had great luck with them in the past, but their maps were horrible.  Kenwood always gets touted and features Garmin, but at the time their units had that big time lag...You'd hit a button, wait it out, and then be greeted by the screen...They just didn't have the processor power for all the features.  It was finally in Vegas I got to try out a lot of the top of the line stuff and even the base Kenwoods lagged on me...

I loved the Pioneer, but knew I'd hate their navi...

I finally decided to go with the Pionner head unit and a stand alone Garmin unit.  The price for the head unit and navigation basically let me get the Alpine Amp and a pair of the Kappas for what I'd have paid for the 7" navi unit.

I know the all-in-one is a nice draw, but for me it just wasn't worth it...That said, just since early 2011 when all this was going down there have been big strides...Android finally had the equivalent "app mode" where you can essentially dock the phone and view google maps etc from the head unit.  That is another option if you are happy with a navi app on your phone etc.

The nuvi, or TomTom etc, would fit nicely in the new console or glove box and you could then use it across your entire fleet...much better upgrades as well, and without the price tag.

Again, can't wait to see it mocked up...The console is an awful lot like the late model Challenger.  The heater knobs are huge, I never thought to measure the slots for 2 1/16" when I had everything apart for the stereo upgrade...Could be the golden ticket!  That little slot on the side of the cup holder gives you a point to mount up a billet plate and run switches for your fuel pump, elec. fans, etc if you go that route.

Definitely hope to see pics soon...if you ever wind up coming thru Amarillo let me know and we'll get some cars out.

excellent info! 
RECHRGED

TexasStroker

No prob...Things like that are always improving/changing...I think Kenwood was supposed to give in and upgrade the processor.  Still, after researching and playing around with it for months, I ultimately decided that the nice double din (minus navi) was the way to go...With the new app modes across several brands it is even easier to justify that route. 

I am looking forward to seeing the console installed, mocked up, or just sat in place for a rough fit...Idk how the 200's will be, but the Challenger (at least 2010+) has the lighted cupholder ring...you can swap that or modify it to match your interior lighting or ext. paint color etc.  I'd want to say the 300 should for sure have it, but I've never been in a 200.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Have you gotten to play around with test fitting it yet?
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

nvrbdn

im late to the game here and see that something is already started. i was just wondering how the early (67-68) mustang/cougar console would work for this also. it has the older look vrs. the newer car look. just didnt know if they had the same width as the charger. im interested in this attempt also to see how the more modern console will look with the existing interior.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

6spd68

I'd really like to see how this ends up as well...  Going to need to start thinking full interior in a year or so with mine.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Ghoste

Even though I prefer the look of the stock interior myself, I really have to hand it to you guys who are able to make these other products fit.

Budnicks

Quote from: Ghoste on June 11, 2013, 03:17:43 PM
Even though I prefer the look of the stock interior myself, I really have to hand it to you guys who are able to make these other products fit.
:2thumbs: me too... I will be watching myself... Interesting option...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks