News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gen 3 Hemi swap total cost?

Started by sixty-niner, March 27, 2013, 05:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty-niner

Hi guys, I have always wanted a 5.7/6.1 hemi in my 69 charger, I just dont know if its worth the cost at this time in my life. I have a 400 block in it with headers , ported 906 heads, cam, 800 eddy carb, rpm performer intake, exhaust, and a rebuilt 4 speed overdrive from a 70s van. Some say if your on a budget (which I am) why not build a 451? I am half way there, I can build it, get the machine work done and any milling at my community college where I am a faculty member. I think I could get the 451 built by myself and students for under 2K where i am not sure what it would cost to get the 5.7 swap done.

What is realistic budget for a full 5.7 swap using my manual trans?
I want my car for the street and track.

Is my 2K budget realistic for my 451?

any input from those more experienced would greatly be appreciated.
thanks

Cooter

Depends on how much power you wanna make out of that 451, how long you want it to live. I dunno if I trust a community college for my engine building/machine work, but if that's your hook-up go for it.

I don't think your 451 will last very long with only $2K, but I've seen stranger things happen. I can tell you RIGHT NOW, you won't get a 5.7/6.1 swapped in for less/same than $2K....

More like around $5-7K...By the time you buy a used engine, and all the wiring to make it run, then hack up your car to get that HUGE Mercedes transmission in it, then find out you need all kindsa crazy adpaters that cost huge coin, then, then, then.....While It may sound "trick" to run those newer Hemi's, they are like Fuel Injection Vs a good 'ole carb. Hands down the carb will win every single time due to COST.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sixty-niner

How much power?  as much as I can I guess, without compromising drive-ability Ideally I would like around 500 at the crank if at all possible.  the community college thing is more for me to learn so even if it doesn't last as long as I would like, I would build it and learn how to do it.  Plus it will be fun and cost effective. 

Indygenerallee

I Have bought a complete 5.7 Hemi out of a Ram with a 545RFE 5 speed with 3000 miles for $1000.00 it was a killer Craigslist deal! I bought the hot rod wiring harness from Hotwireauto.com and had them program the PCM that came with my Hemi to remove the VATS system and disable the EGR function. $1200.00 for the harness and PCM reprogram 5 wires and the engine runs best harness I have ever seen. I bought a set of B body 5.7 Hemi conversion headers $800.00
Milodon 5.7 B body oil pan and pickup tube $250.00. The engine mounts from Schumacer. Walbro fuel pump and use a Corvette fuel filter as it has a regulator built in. In my opinion this is the best of both worlds I wanted something I can jump in and drive anywhere and get good MPG while making good power as I can download different tunes off my Diablo Trinity tuner and control any parameter of the engine.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Indygenerallee

http://hotwireauto.com/ Here is hotwireauto's website and as far as the 545RFE there is trans tunnel mods needed but it's nothing that's all that major.

Indygenerallee

100_1136 by indygenerallee1

5.7 B body conversion TTI Ceramic coated polished headers, work of art!

JB400

You're best bet at getting a hemi cheap would be at a salvage auction.  Make friends with a salvage yard owner that goes to these auctions, and you should be able to buy a totaled out Ram, Charger, Magnum, or 300 fairly cheap.  How cheap,  :shruggy:

Unless you're lucky like Indy, that would be your best bet

thedodgeboys

Quote from: sixty-niner on March 27, 2013, 05:19:44 PM
Hi guys, I have always wanted a 5.7/6.1 hemi in my 69 charger, I just dont know if its worth the cost at this time in my life. I have a 400 block in it with headers , ported 906 heads, cam, 800 eddy carb, rpm performer intake, exhaust, and a rebuilt 4 speed overdrive from a 70s van. Some say if your on a budget (which I am) why not build a 451? I am half way there, I can build it, get the machine work done and any milling at my community college where I am a faculty member. I think I could get the 451 built by myself and students for under 2K where i am not sure what it would cost to get the 5.7 swap done.

What is realistic budget for a full 5.7 swap using my manual trans?
I want my car for the street and track.

Is my 2K budget realistic for my 451?

any input from those more experienced would greatly be appreciated.
thanks

Your 2 k would cover the harness and ecu from Hotwire if your lucky
1200 for headers
300 for mounts
1000 efi fuel pump and lines
1200 new bell housing and flywheel
800 oil pan
Now add in your used motor (2k to 5k) you can hit 10 k pretty quick

I would stay with the big block Unless you really want the new motor.

Cooter

Bout the only things I can see inthe newer swap is the "Oh look, another late model "truck" Hemi in an older Musclecar" thing, or the "Oh look, another new Hemi in a musclecar getting 2-3 More MPG's than the older Big block did" thing.

Stick with the 451, you and your wallet will thank you. MPG will only bother you @500HP if you allow it to. Just think of the "Smiles to the gallon". :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

SRT-440

And if your worried about dealing with a carb and tuning it, you can always slap on a EFI kit on the big block ($2000) and it will prolly run as smooth as the new motor. Just a thought.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Indygenerallee

QuoteYour 2 k would cover the harness and ecu from Hotwire if your lucky
1200 for headers
300 for mounts
1000 efi fuel pump and lines
800 oil pan
I don't know where you got these prices but they are high! I did not pay anywhere near those prices on anything listed for my Hemi swap.

sixty-niner

yeah my budget would not be 2k for a 5.7, but for the 451 only, I am thinking the 5.7 would be a minimum of around 5K, which is a lot for a motor in my opinion. I am thinking of having a 451 in the meantime and get a 5.7 later when I can afford it.  1000 for a 5.7 is a killer deal, one I have never seen...ever.  It was like Alex's 6.1 for 2K, killer deal that one cannot pass up.  Ideally a 5.7 would be what I want.

Indygenerallee

Quote1000 for a 5.7 is a killer deal, one I have never seen...ever
Your exatly right, The guy even had the receipt with the mileage and the VIN for the truck it came out of from the salvage yard in Tennesee where he bought the motor and trans back in 2007 for $5000.00, He was going to put it in a Dakota R/T and ran out of cash. Also I forgot to add if you get a PCM with or buy one for a 5.7 or 6.1 you have to have the VIN number for the vehicle it came out of so whoever programs the PCM can remove the VATS program.

Mike DC

1.  Figure out the total price of the 5.7L conversion.   Pull that much out of the bank.

2.  Build a 451 for the car.

3.  Put the remaining money onto a prepaid credit card labeled "gas money."   

Unless that's a hell of an expensive 451 or you drive the car a hell of a lot, you will have more fun with it this way. 

Dino

Sorry for the hijack but do these new hemi's actually have hemispherical combustion chambers or is it a marketing thing?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JB400

They have the hemi head, but a flattop like piston, at least when they first come out.

Indygenerallee

No the pistons are domed as well but not like the dome on a 426 Hemi!  :icon_smile_big: I figured after I install a cam and with a proper tune I will be a little over 400 HP with my 5.7 which is enough for me and I believe I can get some pretty good MPG with it as well being in a Daytona.

duanesterrr

Quote from: Dino on March 28, 2013, 12:02:52 PM
Sorry for the hijack but do these new hemi's actually have hemispherical combustion chambers or is it a marketing thing?

Marketing ploy all the way.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 28, 2013, 11:54:50 AM

1.  Figure out the total price of the 5.7L conversion.   Pull that much out of the bank.

2.  Build a 451 for the car.

3.  Put the remaining money onto a prepaid credit card labeled "gas money."   

Unless that's a hell of an expensive 451 or you drive the car a hell of a lot, you will have more fun with it this way. 

Best advice i have heard all day.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

thedodgeboys

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 28, 2013, 09:12:51 AM
QuoteYour 2 k would cover the harness and ecu from Hotwire if your lucky
800 for headers
200 for mounts
800 efi fuel pump and lines
400 oil pan
I don't know where you got these prices but they are high! I did not pay anywhere near those prices on anything listed for my Hemi swap.

I might be a little high(3-5K) but you get the point it ant cheep...
and lots of little stuff yet to get to complete the swap.

Aero426

Quote from: Cooter on March 28, 2013, 06:14:11 AM
Bout the only things I can see inthe newer swap is the "Oh look, another late model "truck" Hemi in an older Musclecar" thing, or the "Oh look, another new Hemi in a musclecar getting 2-3 More MPG's than the older Big block did" thing.

Pretty much.  

I can't see a big MPG increase at all based on my 5.7 in my 04 Ram 2500 2wd.    Plenty of power, but it is one THIRSTY hombre.  

Bobs69

Quote from: sixty-niner on March 27, 2013, 06:07:44 PM
How much power?  as much as I can I guess, without compromising drive-ability Ideally I would like around 500 at the crank if at all possible.  the community college thing is more for me to learn so even if it doesn't last as long as I would like, I would build it and learn how to do it.  Plus it will be fun and cost effective. 

Agreed.

I did mine with supervision.  The mechanic did install the crank, it HAD to be done with extra care.

Mike DC

I can't see a big MPG increase at all based on my 5.7 in my 04 Ram 2500 2wd.    Plenty of power, but it is one THIRSTY hombre.   

That's not exactly an equivalent vehicle though. 

The same motor would seem a lot better on gas if it was pushing a Geo Metro. 

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 29, 2013, 08:48:40 AM
I can't see a big MPG increase at all based on my 5.7 in my 04 Ram 2500 2wd.    Plenty of power, but it is one THIRSTY hombre.   

That's not exactly an equivalent vehicle though. 

The same motor would seem a lot better on gas if it was pushing a Geo Metro. 

Sure enough there is a forum for that..  http://geometroforum.com/topic/4683473/1/
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."