News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 tail lights removal. Any tips?

Started by K9COP, April 04, 2013, 12:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

Guys, I've looked on here but can't find a simple explanation of how to remove the taillights. Before I just randomly start unbolting/screwing things (to change bulbs) any tips/hints or instructions please?

Thanks,

CS
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

twodko

Top 'o the day CS!

When I pulled the tail light assemblies off my 69 I just pulled all the bulb wiring and then removed all the nuts except one on top that I just loosened. When I was ready to remove the housing I pulled that last nut off and gently rocked the assembly up and down until it came free. Mine was somewhat of a bitch because the factory sealed the bottom outside corners with this nasty butyl (sp) adhesive over the gasket. I guess to keep water coming in?????  It was a lot of work getting that stuff off the housings.......IRC I used lacquer thinner and soaked the housing edge. Even then I used all my cuss words........twice!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Troy

So are you just trying to change bulbs or is there more to this?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

kab69440

There's no reason to pull the housings to change bulbs. Just remove the cover panel and pull the bulbs out. If you need the housings and lenses out, just remove the speednuts and pull them out. It's pretty straightforward.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

K9COP

Thanks all, I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I was initially just wanting to change the bulbs, but had a slow meander through the process and actually removed the whole assemblies, then the metal backing 'cans' from the lenses by removing the Phillips screws. My lights have no plastic backing covers on..

Anyhooo, once all apart I could see how the bulb holders were held in (compression fit) and that allowed me to use a small crescent shaped 'pick' to carefully lever the bulb holders out from the trunk side of the lights. I just wasn't comfortable pulling on cables.... I intend to update the bulbs a little.

She's slowly coming together... on the good side, I managed to get the hood turn signals wired today. The previous owner removed/deleted all the side marker lights, so I'm adding very small and subtle LED turn signals to give me some extra safety at junctions...

Thanks again,

CS :cheers:
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)