News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 radio and speaker questions

Started by 66FBCharger, April 18, 2013, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I have been trying to find info on the available radios and speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. It appears that the only radio that was stereo was the AM 8 track. I know the AM 8 track came with the 3 speakers in the dash. I am assuming from my research and by looking at an original AM FM that it is not stereo. I would assume that there is no right and left channel. If you got the AM FM from the factory would it come with only the dash speaker? Could you get the AM FM with a rear speaker? If so, would it be wired the same as an AM radio with the fader? What type of speaker came in the back with the rear speaker option? What side did it go on?
My car originally came with an AM radio with the fader switch. My rear speaker is missing. I have a factory AM FM I was toying with installing. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. Maybe I would be better getting an AM FM radio converted to modern internals and put some good speakers in the rear and maybe the two speakers in place of the single dash speaker.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

C928BRAN

My car is a 69 and it was not an 8 track, just regular radio. i think it had like a 5x9 in the front and back. i converted my front to 2-4 inch speakers, and 2-6x9`s in the back, and hid a cd player in the glovebox, still looks like i have the stock system, still having my factory radio in the dash. only way to go, in my opinion.

moparfan53

Quote from: 66FBCharger on April 18, 2013, 07:20:04 AM
I have been trying to find info on the available radios and speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. It appears that the only radio that was stereo was the AM 8 track. I know the AM 8 track came with the 3 speakers in the dash. I am assuming from my research and by looking at an original AM FM that it is not stereo. I would assume that there is no right and left channel. If you got the AM FM from the factory would it come with only the dash speaker? Could you get the AM FM with a rear speaker? If so, would it be wired the same as an AM radio with the fader? What type of speaker came in the back with the rear speaker option? What side did it go on?
My car originally came with an AM radio with the fader switch. My rear speaker is missing. I have a factory AM FM I was toying with installing. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. Maybe I would be better getting an AM FM radio converted to modern internals and put some good speakers in the rear and maybe the two speakers in place of the single dash speaker.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Yes, the am/8 track was the only stereo radio but only the 8 track part was stereo, the am was mono. The am played through the center speaker, the 8 track layed through the 2 outer dash speakers. The am/fm was mono and came with the single front speaker. The rear speaker (option code R31) was available with all radios. Can't recall for sure which side the rear speaker was on but if no one else posts it in a few days will find out and post. I think the am and am/fm with rear speaker would be wired the same.

I did the modern upgrade on my am radio and installed 2 front and 2 rear speakers. That is what I would recommend. The upgrades usually include an input jack. I connected it to a jack I installed in the console compartment. That way I can have my phone/mp3 player inside the console while playing music through the radio.

:cheers:

66FBCharger

Thanks for the replies.
moparfan53,
That is the info i'm looking for.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body