News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for new rims, opinions wanted

Started by Dino, April 23, 2013, 12:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Check out www.newstalgiawheel.com

They carry a good selection of wheels and offer wheel & tire packages. Mounted & balanced & delivered right to your door. I couldn't beat their prices when I priced some out individually.
They specialize in muscle cars & street rods. There is also a "wheel visualizer" on their 'site which allows you to pick your vehicle, color, wheel type, diameter, etc. Might help a bit if you are having trouble picking some out.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

DC_1

Quote from: bill440rt on April 26, 2013, 05:50:24 PM

They carry a good selection of wheels and offer wheel & tire packages. Mounted & balanced & delivered right to your door. I couldn't beat their prices when I priced some out individually.
They specialize in muscle cars & street rods. There is also a "wheel visualizer" on their 'site which allows you to pick your vehicle, color, wheel type, diameter, etc. Might help a bit if you are having trouble picking some out.  :2thumbs:

Yep, that's where I bought mine!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 71green go on April 26, 2013, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 26, 2013, 08:24:51 AM
Quote from: 71green go on April 25, 2013, 10:38:20 PM
:2thumbs:

Hey someone filled in my RWL's!  ;)

Doesnt look half bad either....hmmm

Is that your car?....LOL...I pulled that picture from a KIJIJI add for wheels!...

Yup....my car in someone else ad...what else is new?  :rotz:

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 26, 2013, 08:33:29 PM
Quote from: 71green go on April 26, 2013, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 26, 2013, 08:24:51 AM
Quote from: 71green go on April 25, 2013, 10:38:20 PM
:2thumbs:

Hey someone filled in my RWL's!  ;)

Doesnt look half bad either....hmmm

Is that your car?....LOL...I pulled that picture from a KIJIJI add for wheels!...

Yup....my car in someone else ad...what else is new?  :rotz:

;)

:smilielol:   :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on April 26, 2013, 05:50:24 PM

They specialize in muscle cars & street rods. There is also a "wheel visualizer" on their 'site which allows you to pick your vehicle, color, wheel type, diameter, etc. Might help a bit if you are having trouble picking some out.  :2thumbs:
That "Charger vinyl top 69" looks awfully familiar in the wheel visualizer program :scratchchin: 

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

chargersb71

I'm trying to pick some new wheels also before I do my disc brake conversion.  What you need is some body with some good Photoshop skills to put some wheels on your car to see which one you would like.  I've let my wife and kids help me pick out wheels for my car but still haven't decided yet. This is what i'm currently considering was wanting 16 inch but tire selection is slim so debating on 17s but not sure how they would look on my '71.  http://www.carid.com/american-racing-wheels/classic-torq-thrust-ii-gray-polished-479585.html

Patronus

I vote with TT. I like the little lip on the sides of the spoke. I just wish they would do something with the casting center though. They just all look the same, always have. Just a circle around the lugs.. Besides the color, wheels are that hardest part.. Could take years.. :eek2:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

nrt69

white painted 15X7" steelies with dog dish caps and redline tires

Dino

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice, it's such a pain to pick wheels it's real nice to have your input.   :2thumbs:

After all this, I still get drawn to the MB wheel the most.  I tried finding a local discount tire that had one in stock so I could go take a good look at them but alas, nobody has them.  Then I found some pics online of those wheels (which are the same as coy c55's btw) and when you get a 17*9.5, you do hget the wide machined lip...but that means I'll have a harsher ride, no rwl and I'm not sur what tire height I'd end up with.  I'd like abouta 26" tall tire up front and 28" in the back.

I love the look of those wheels so much I am actually contemplating going with 17"...IF I can find all the right sizes.  Man this is hard....
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Big Sugar

I'd say  your better off going with the 17" rims  its a good compromise  and tire options are plentyfull.

Your rim choice is Classic and either will look good on your Charger , I prefer the spoke with the hard crease ln in each spoke.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Dino

Quote from: Big Sugar on May 02, 2013, 09:01:05 PM
I'd say  your better off going with the 17" rims  its a good compromise  and tire options are plentyfull.

Your rim choice is Classic and either will look good on your Charger , I prefer the spoke with the hard crease ln in each spoke.

Ron

That's the rims I like.  Whichever size rim gives me the wider machined lip on the back is the one I want.  Of course nobody has these in stock....

If I go with a 17" it will be the MB old school or the Coy c55 (same design).  For the front I will probably want a 17x8 with a 245/45R17 which is about 25.7" tall.  For the rear I'd probably go with 17x905 and a 275/50R17 which should be roughly 27.8" tall.  I do not want the tires to be the same height, I want the butt higher.

So my question is, what backspace do I need to get those tires as close to the wheel lip as possible?  If I would go with a 15x8 for the rear I'd be looking for no more than 4" bs.

WHITE AND RED 69

For the rear with a 9.5" rim you will want about 5.25" of backspace.  :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 03, 2013, 02:20:15 PM
For the rear with a 9.5" rim you will want about 5.25" of backspace.  :cheers:

Looks like the 9.5" wide rims have 5.5" backspacing.  I'd probably want the wheel closer to the quarter lip but if that's all they make then that's how it's gonna be!

I was playing around on a big parking lot this morning and did a few panic stops.  The car will stop but it always locks up causing a slide so bye bye drums, hello discs on all 4.

It's very hard for me but I am trying to say goodbye to the 15" rwl tires I like oh so much and I'm trying to say hello to 17's all around with big disc brakes...I need to stay safe AND keep those around me safe, if I hit one of those little Fiat's with the Charger I'll kill whoever's inside and I don't want to take that chance.

Maybe I can fill in the letters on a 17" tire with a paint pen...

Cooter

Ahh Dino, No....Resist the temptation to "Rubberband" your ride. Too many out there like that nowadays. Stick with disc brakes and 16" wheels with some sidewall. Keep it classic man.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

I hate the rubber band tire look but with something like a 275/50 it's not so bad.  With coy c55's or mb old school wheels, the widest rim you can get in a 15 is 8" and it has a narrow machined lip.  If it had a nice wide lip like the 17x9.5's had then it would be no contest.

Haven't decided yet though...this may take a while.

Dino

I just found this Chevelle from one of the f&f movies.  It has 17x8's with 235/50R17 up front and 275/55R17 in the rear.
The front tires are about 26.25" tall while the rears are 28.9" tall making for a nice stance.  I don't think the tire sidewall is all that thin and personally wouldn't call them rubber band tires...but it doesn't need to get any less than that.

I was thinking 275/50 in the back instead of 55 but I guess there's nothing wrong with a 29" tall tire!  My car's gonna be slower than hell off the line with those 2.96 gears though.   :lol:

What do you guys and galls think of this look?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

I like Tan Tops 15" X 8" with 4" backspace, 255 60r's look the best so far honestly. It looks ready for grabbing the road!  :scratchchin:

Cooter

Quote from: Dino on May 04, 2013, 11:49:51 AM
I just found this Chevelle from one of the f&f movies. 

What do you guys and galls think of this look?

You answered your own question Dino.....To F&F for me.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Patronus

Coker makes a 17"x9" steel wheel. That would be a new look, body color steelies with hub caps in 17s.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

K9COP

Each to their own. My car has 18" front and 19" rear wheels on it, 295's at the rear, and 265's at the front. Lowered all round, upgraded brakes. Don't like it? Then don't do it to your car. Want to survive the first corner you come to? You may wish to reconsider 15" wheels and 'deformomatic' sidewall tyres... depends on how you want to drive your car, and the look you're after... if the original tyres and wheels were so effective, a) a Bugatti Veyron would have 15" steelies and cross plies on it, and b) the mustang would have lost in Bullit.

It's YOUR car, do what YOU want. Would you throw your choice of first tattoo open to a bunch of strangers? Buy what you want, what will make YOU turn back and look at the car as you walk away in the parking lot...

Best piece of advice on here?, be patient, don't rush, and wait until you can buy the best you can afford, if budget is a consideration.

CS

I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Dino on May 04, 2013, 07:48:58 AM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 03, 2013, 02:20:15 PM
For the rear with a 9.5" rim you will want about 5.25" of backspace.  :cheers:

Looks like the 9.5" wide rims have 5.5" backspacing.  I'd probably want the wheel closer to the quarter lip but if that's all they make then that's how it's gonna be!

I was playing around on a big parking lot this morning and did a few panic stops.  The car will stop but it always locks up causing a slide so bye bye drums, hello discs on all 4.

It's very hard for me but I am trying to say goodbye to the 15" rwl tires I like oh so much and I'm trying to say hello to 17's all around with big disc brakes...I need to stay safe AND keep those around me safe, if I hit one of those little Fiat's with the Charger I'll kill whoever's inside and I don't want to take that chance.

Maybe I can fill in the letters on a 17" tire with a paint pen...

A 5.5" works too. Just keep it close to a zero offset. I love the look of the white letters on lower profile tires! I just wish more companies made them. There was a pic of some nascar style charger build with 18s somewhere with the white letters and looked awesome. I will see if I can find it.

Quote from: CaymanSublime on May 04, 2013, 10:33:14 PM

Best piece of advice on here?, be patient, don't rush, and wait until you can buy the best you can afford, if budget is a consideration.

CS

Exactly. Take your time and pick out exactly what you want. Ask someone to do a photoshop rendering with your wheel choices on your car and go from there. Also with a 50 series tire on a 17 wheel you are not going suffer anything on the ride quality.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Patronus on May 04, 2013, 05:21:51 PM
Coker makes a 17"x9" steel wheel. That would be a new look, body color steelies with hub caps in 17s.

There was a 68 with a viper motor on ebay a while back with these and it looked killer!
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Patronus

Cayman, post up a good side pic... now you guys are making me re-think again... :RantExplode:
17" redlines... :scratchchin:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

Guys I can't tell you how much I appreciate your opinions, it really helps me to see all aspects of the issue.   :2thumbs:

Cayman it's like you're in my head, those things are on my mind a lot.  And thanks for the laugh, I don't think I've ever seen tires called 'deformomatic'  :smilielol:

W&R 69 I would love to see that bigger tire with rwl!  I think it would look great.  Patronus you just threw one hell of an alternative on the table.  I love the look of wide steelies with dog dish caps and I think a 17 would look killer!

As you may have noticed, I'm really falling for these MB/Coy rims.  Could someone take the Chevelle pic and fill in some sidewall letters (if that's at all possible), and maybe swap the body for a 2nd gen?  I can try to snap a pic of my car from the same angle...but that would be a first!