News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

9.25 Rear End

Started by williamcwayland, April 26, 2013, 12:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamcwayland

Well I'm new to the forum here, but have been lurking  around reading for quite some time now and have gained a wealth of information for this site. I've been the proud owner of my mopar for 7 years now and have had realitive ease figuring things out on my own and by using the search engine on this site. Now, getting down to buisness;

I have a 73 Charger with an 8 1/4 rear end and had a buddy give me a sure grip 9.25. The rear end is in perfect working order when we pulled it, but there seems a lot of mis information about the 9.25. It looks like a lot of people get it confused with the dana 60. But my question is, how were the 9.25's stamped? I mean it looks like they were in production for quite a few years and I can find only 3 different sets of casting numbers for all 9.25's that were produced. I measured it out and checked, and the 9 1/4 will slide right in so thats not the problem. I dont have any hang ups really, but is there any way to tell what the 9.25 origionally came out of? Or even what year it is? This question is more for curosity's sake, so i figured you guys may know.
Casting numbers;
Bottom of pumpkin: 295
Bottom Right: 23258
Top Left 3723199

Will any of these numbes give me a clue as to what year it is?

John_Kunkel

37XXXXX dates from the '74-'75 time frame so I'm gonna take a stab that 295 is the 29th week of 1975.

Pull the rear cover and look for a date stamped on the outer periphery of the ring gear...that will be a better indication of the manufacture date.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

williamcwayland

Thanks John, I didnt know they had that stamped on the inside like that

ottawamerc

I have swapped out the rear ends on both of my chargers with the 9.25 sure grips and have had great success with them.
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

williamcwayland

Quote from: ottawamerc on April 27, 2013, 02:56:54 PM
I have swapped out the rear ends on both of my chargers with the 9.25 sure grips and have had great success with them.

Thats good to hear, I have heard that a lot more people liking them and not. Cant wait for the swap

Kern Dog

The axle swap may require you to shorten the drive shaft.