News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i burnt up my ammeter, now what. 7/4/13--- UPDATE

Started by lukedukem, April 29, 2013, 05:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

That rate of swing is faster then the volt regulator can react. My idea was if the gauge was failing it would pulse the lights, that is a really weird gauge swing!  :eek2: You can make a gauge adapter by feeding a gauge off the lighter socket. Use a cigarette lighter powered plug that plugs into the lighter socket to draw power hooked to a gauge. Jump the back of the dash gauge, plug in the test rig and see what happens.   :shruggy:

lukedukem

Ok, so here's my report. Got home and removed alt. and looked at brushes and just looked it over. Then I removed my air cleaner cause I needed to adjust my electric choke also. It was idling to high when cold. Then I unplugged my voltage regulator and started the car. The cold idle was good and the needle of the amp meter was not jumping around. So that tells me I need a new voltage regulator. BUT then I plugged it back in and fired it up and it seams to be working now. It still bumps when I use brakes or lights. The tester on the battery stays at 14.5 on the dot. And the lights still might have a pulse to them. But not as bad. Maybe that was it. And maybe doing the relays for the lights will cure this. Although it does it to the dash lights inside. Hmmm. Not sure, but I need to test drive it this week and see what the guage does. 
Any thoughts.

Luke.
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

b5blue

Great news!  :2thumbs: Possibly not so good contact in the connector plug to the regulator? I use Caig Labs D100L DeoxIT on all/any connections, it may help. (Radio Shack.)

Pete in NH

Hi Luke,

I think you found the problem. As Neal said it is likely the connector to the regulator was not making a good connection. De Oxit is the best contact cleaner I have ever found and a little bit on those two connector pins may take care of the problem. If not perhaps just replace the connector on the wire harness. At least you know where to look if it happens again.

lukedukem

yeah, thanks guys. i'll pick some up.
what do you think about the dash lights pulsing like that. they still do it, slightly

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

b5blue

I'd get the DeoxIT every where next and see. Years ago I bought a "big" bottle...25ml. and have gone through every connection, even light bulb sockets on my Charger along with bunches of stuff for my home. As the bottle has a needle type tip that lets you coat just where it's needed I still have 2/3 of a bottle left. It even helps connectors slide together or apart as it lubes but won't harm any rubber or plastic. (I hate to sound like an ad but the stuff works.)

Dino

Do you guys use it on the bulkhead connectors as well?  I'm about done with the electrical on mine so I thought to smother the connectors in dielectric grease before I pop them on for the last time.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Yes Dino, I treated my bulkheads with salt and vinegar to clean, flushed with 91% alcohol in a spray bottle very thoroughly, let then dry out then coated with DeoxIT. The grease is a fine protector as it blocks oxygen and water but will not clean.  :2thumbs:
  Caig Labs has a protector also called "Gold".

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on June 12, 2014, 05:24:25 AM
  Yes Dino, I treated my bulkheads with salt and vinegar to clean, flushed with 91% alcohol in a spray bottle very thoroughly, let then dry out then coated with DeoxIT. The grease is a fine protector as it blocks oxygen and water but will not clean.  :2thumbs:
  Caig Labs has a protector also called "Gold".

If something's better than the grease then I'm all for it.  I'm taking no chances after all this work!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bobfist

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on July 03, 2013, 04:13:19 PM
:2thumbs:

Those battery shut off swithes is something you have to use over here in sweden
You dont get any insurance if not using one of those
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden