News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how different between suregrip and open differentials

Started by Nacho-RT74, February 21, 2006, 10:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

How different is drive a sure grip and an open differential car ?
advantages of each one ? safety ? power ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71440se

with  an open diff car, if you were to peel out or burn rubber the car usually goes straight  ahead , but try it on  a car with suregrip and your likely to get a little sideways . in the rain its another  story,  a powerful car with a suregrip will be hard to take off quickly without spinning and going sideways.  but under normal driving  you wont be able to tell  whether a car has a posi or not unless its a locker or very tight posi , then a tire  might squeal around a corner.

Nacho-RT74

so If I'm right, with a suregrip you need more care driving on wet floor of course.

some difference about power traction ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

terrible one

Open diff. will spin the tire with the least traction, while the other side doesn't move at all. A suregrip will always spin both of the tires at the same speed.

Chryco Psycho

often an open diff will still spin both tire If there is roughly eqaul traction at both tires & assuming there is a lot of torque
a sure grip can get you in trouble on icy surfaces as both tires will spin & the car can get sideways fast but this generally is not a concern on mostly dry roads unless you have a LOT of power & can spin them at 60 MPH or faster 

Chargeraddict

So would you guys go sure grip or open diff in the long run? Im about to buy a 323 sure grip and I currently have a 2.76 open diff.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Chargeraddict on February 23, 2006, 10:18:10 PM

So would you guys go sure grip or open diff in the long run? Im about to buy a 323 sure grip and I currently have a 2.76 open diff.

i'd buy the 3:23 sure grip.... :yesnod:    if you dont buy it, i'll take a crack at it, i need one for my 68.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

Depends how much driving you plan to do in icy conditions. ;)

I'd go the Sure Grip.

Chargeraddict

I just dont want to be a one wheeler peeler. I figured a sure grip is same as a posi. Thunder, the guy Im getting it from has lots of parts so if you want somthing ill ask for you, the 323 third member hes making me is 600 canadian no tax. so thats like 450-500 american i think?

Ghoste

Sure Grip and posi are both brand specific names for a limited slip differential.  Mopar called it Sure Grip, Chevy called it positraction, Pontiac called it Saf-T-Trak, and so on.  All the same idea although a few different ways of getting there.
Is he rebuilding it or just dinging you 600 for a used one?

Chargeraddict

Hes got the 323 open rear end and hes putting the sure grip unit in for me. Im probably not getting that good a deal, but Ive seen people ask a lot more.

Ghoste

Chargeraddict

Im going to say no, but keep in mind the 600 is canadian funds. I stll think it might be a little steep tho.

Chargeraddict

Ghoste

I guess it depends on where you live and whats available.  It isn't necessarily a bad price considering Can. funds and all but I still would want to know the condition of the limited slip unit and if he is rebuilding it or just slapping together some used parts.

Runner

find out if its a cone or clutch surgrip, if its a used cone you are gambiling that its still in good shape. you can buy brand new clutch suregrips for around 400 us,  then give someone a 100 bucks to put it in and be donw with it.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

chrisII

if the rear is already set up , like this one is. it is prettty simple to set up the side to side when you change to a shure grip. pretty much just check your lash before you take it appart and then re set it to the samebefore you tighten the bearing caps..re check , re adjust as neaded ect. the first time i did this was scary being i was opening my set of 4.56s for my circle tracker. but ive done it several times now and no problems. the 4.56s have several seasons on them still going strong.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Runner on February 26, 2006, 09:31:38 PM
find out if its a cone or clutch surgrip, if its a used cone you are gambiling that its still in good shape. you can buy brand new clutch suregrips for around 400 us,  then give someone a 100 bucks to put it in and be donw with it.

Where can i get this at?  I e-mailed detriot locker last week but they were no help...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Runner

give this guy a call or e-mail him.   nice guy. i just bought a set of axles from him   

http://members.aol.com/doctordiff/

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six