News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New wheels are on!

Started by Dino, May 26, 2013, 08:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

As many of you know, I have been looking for wheels for a while and had a hard time deciding.  I did keep coming back to the MB old school wheels and especially the 9.5" wide version which has a pretty wide machined lip.

The only rim with that wide lip was 17" so that meant not going with the more common 15" and rwl tires.  I also wanted a thicker sidewall to cushion the ride seeing Michigan has such wonderful roads... ::)

After a lot of contemplating, looking at others' rides, I figured it's only wheels, the car will not explode when I bolt them on and they don't look right.

I went ahead and ordered a set of 17x8 with Nitto NT555 245/45 for the front and 17x9.5 with Nitto NT450 275/50 on the back.  There's about 2" difference in tire height giving me exactly the rake I wanted.  It's there but it's not in your face.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my style.

As I thought, the wheels do not come out as far as I wanted due to the limited choice in backspace.  Front has 4.5 while rear has 5.5.  

I'm not going to mess around with spacers but since I will get disc brakes on all 4, maybe there's a way to bring the disc hubs out further than the drums?  I like how it sits now, but 1/2" to 1" less backspacing would be pretty much perfect.

This is only optional though since there is more room to bring them out but as it sits, I am very happy with the results.  The car handles a lot better, the tires are quiet and the steering feels a bit tighter which is a bonus.   :2thumbs:

A special thanks to Skijogg who sold me a drum and hub with RH threaded studs and got it to me real fast.  While I was removing the old drum, the postman dropped off the new!  I also removed the old bolts in the axle with the help of a BFH, cleaned the holes a bit and pulled the new studs in which went pretty well.  

As soon as I had them on, I drove back to Discount Tire and they torqued them for me and made sure everything was okay.

The memorial day sale was going on and I also found a better price for the tires online so they matched that and gave me $200 in rebates.  Total cost around $1300.

I know some of you can't stand the sight of bigger wheels but with this amount of sidewall I feel it looks like a classic wheel with a modern touch.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

more

Dino

more

Dino

last ones for now with the new wheels

Dino

before

Patronus

The wheel wells looked pretty lonely with those old 14's in there... what a difference. Looking real good. :2thumbs:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

XS29L

Looks sharp !  Now you've got room for some big disc brakes.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

lasvegas69charg

nice setup and a great price.  :2thumbs:
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Back N Black

Very nice! Good wheel choice. :2thumbs:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ram07

That looks really good!!  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wow great choice!  Looks awesome :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Nice! What's the rear offset?

JB400

The suspense is over   :lol:  Looks great :2thumbs:

cdr

DINO you did great !!!! those wheels look really good on YOUR car ,i like it a lot.   :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

FlatbackFanatic

Those wheels and tires look great!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Baldwinvette77

Oooooo Thats delicious  :drool5:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

71green go

Dino...Great Look....I would be Very happy also!...what a change in the look of the car!

RIDELIKEHELL

I really like them :cheers: My BOSS 338's are same width but 18's....I think they are a huge upgrade in the look department :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

b5blue

ME LIKE! Crap now ya got me thinkin!!  :scratchchin:

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ryan.C

that is one tuff looking charger.
love the wheels, what are they called and where do I get a set?
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.