News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: cdr on December 15, 2013, 05:14:19 PM
as always your craftsmanship is the best i have seen,,i'm gonna have to see the gas cap door the same color before i can give it  :2thumbs: ,, having nothing to do with how well the install was done.
Yeah. I am having second thoughts big time on that.  I shouldn't have committed without mocking it up. That is just where it lays out relative to the existing fill tube to the tank in front of the rear axle.     :-\  Oh well. It's just  metal.

Indygenerallee

Here is the other cap I was talking to you on Facebook about.. it looks pretty flush fitting...

flat black cap by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

David, I saw that cap and it is nice. There might be an issue of mounting the existing fuel filler neck in a vertical orientation. I is designed to mount horizontally with the vapor recovery tube above the fuel fill section. Might mounting it vertically cause some issues with the check engine light due to improper sealing of the fill tube?    Also I had another thought since this car was supposed to be an omage to the Nascar version I could run an exposed cap further back on the quarter as on those cars.

Indygenerallee

Yes, That's what I am going to do is run the recessed round hole on the quarter panel that the Nascar version did. IDK just something about that square door right in the middle of the quarter panel...

cdr

you can extend the fill tube & it will not cause a problem.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

djcarguy

MERRY CHRISTMAS AN ALL THAT??? BUT who approved a xmas vacation with no post or pixs for six days almost so far????  ????        happy holidays an all that but some us are bored an living thru the neat wing builds here..

great stuff so far an looking to more an trying to pace my replys,ho ho ho. :popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers: :D :D

Charger-Bodie

Yep. The fuel filler is the first thing I've found on this build to dislike. Just can interupt the sides of these cars.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Stevearino

Well I looked at relocating the fuel filler behind it's present location but mounting it in the top of the quarter would cause the fuel line to have to dip way down and then up over the wheel housing to get to the tank. That would cause gas to be always laying in the bottom of the fuel line gully. Looking at the side of the quarter further back would mean I would have to loop the fuel line around in the trunk and it wouldn't look much better than it does right now so I decided to try to remodel the door to make it smaller and flow a little better with the side of the car. I took about 2 1/4 inched out of the over all height and  sloped the top  to better match the quarter panel. I went ahead and rough bondo'd it in and hit it with some flat black to see what it would look like. I am not nearly as unhappy with it as I was.  Bottom line is I am committed to this location now and I am moving on.

cdr

well now,,,that looks MUCH better!!!!  :2thumbs:  excellent work, as always   :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Homerr

Awesome fab work Steve!   :2thumbs:

I love everything about it.....except the non-Charger fuel door.   :icon_smile_cool:

cudaken

Steve, that fuel door has to go! One of the coolest part of a 2nd Gen Charger is the flip top gas cap! If you cannot run the correct one, hide it.

I don't know if you have been following my miss adventurers with Miss Lumpy(68 Road Runner) guys here at the site bought me a new gas tank for Christmas. My old one has rust inside from sitting 8 years, tank it self is 10 years old and does not leak.

If you would like it to use for a mock up / test fit you are welcome to it. They use a long filler neck that goes under the rear plate. Basic shape is like a 2nd Gen Charger.

New one, so you have a idea about where the filler neck opening is.

URL=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Charger%20Site/12-131_zps54a489d2.jpg.html]

You have done so well so far, don't ruin the looks with that Ford Looking Gas Cap Door! Look just like the one on my old T/C.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Stevearino

Quote from: Homerr on December 22, 2013, 05:49:23 PM
Awesome fab work Steve!   :2thumbs:

I love everything about it.....except the non-Charger fuel door.   :icon_smile_cool:
What do you mean? It came off of a 2006 Charger? :coocoo:

Stevearino

Quote from: cudaken on December 22, 2013, 08:45:09 PM

Steve, that fuel door has to go! One of the coolest part of a 2nd Gen Charger is the flip top gas cap! If you cannot run the correct one, hide it.

I don't know if you have been following my miss adventurers with Miss Lumpy(68 Road Runner) guys here at the site bought me a new gas tank for Christmas. My old one has rust inside from sitting 8 years, tank it self is 10 years old and does not leak.

If you would like it to use for a mock up / test fit you are welcome to it. They use a long filler neck that goes under the rear plate. Basic shape is like a 2nd Gen Charger.

New one, so you have a idea about where the filler neck opening is.

URL=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Charger%20Site/12-131_zps54a489d2.jpg.html]

You have done so well so far, don't ruin the looks with that Ford Looking Gas Cap Door! Look just like the one on my old T/C.

Cuda Ken

I appreciate the offer Ken but there is no place to mount a tank like that in the LX platform. That area is taken up by the battery and some electronics.
I know there are more than a few who don't like it but there are probably more than a few who don't like the idea of mounting a gen 2 body on and LX to start with.  I did not want the flip top cap from the start. If I mounted the filler in the top of the quarter I would still want it hidden by a door.  Bottom line is  I am not really that unhappy with it.    Again I appreciate the offer.

Stevearino

JB400

It will look better when it's painted. :yesnod:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Stevearino on December 22, 2013, 04:10:16 PM
Well I looked at relocating the fuel filler behind it's present location but mounting it in the top of the quarter would cause the fuel line to have to dip way down and then up over the wheel housing to get to the tank. That would cause gas to be always laying in the bottom of the fuel line gully. Looking at the side of the quarter further back would mean I would have to loop the fuel line around in the trunk and it wouldn't look much better than it does right now so I decided to try to remodel the door to make it smaller and flow a little better with the side of the car. I took about 2 1/4 inched out of the over all height and  sloped the top  to better match the quarter panel. I went ahead and rough bondo'd it in and hit it with some flat black to see what it would look like. I am not nearly as unhappy with it as I was.  Bottom line is I am committed to this location now and I am moving on.

Looks MUCH better. :2thumbs:

I'd say go with it.

Ghoste

Or lose the door altogether and go with more of a 1969 GN style.

War wagon

Quote from: Stevearino on December 14, 2013, 07:13:12 PM
They finally put the West Coast Custom episode of the 07 to 68 Charger conversion on You Tube. It was interesting to go back and take a look at what I could see about how they handled certain problems I encountered. Like all reality shows they feel the need to do a lot of quick cuts and fill the show with personel BS so it was hard to tell what was going on without stopping the video a whole bunch of times. They also ate up a bunch of the show with a Prius custom. Not cool.  :brickwall: A couple of things I noticed is that they cut way into the floor in the rocker area so as to conceal the pinch weld further under the car. That was smart. Also they seemed to pitch the body up hill a bit to overcome the high dash situation. Still seems like the dash is too high in the car. It also looks like being a California car they didn't bother with wipers which is cool but they could have at least cut out the wiper bumps in the cowl. Doesn't look like they bothered with anything but a center defrost outlet on the dash. Any way here is the link for anyone who might be interested in checking it out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoaQjaBLdc

I've seen that show with that build , and been following along here with yours......
There is NO COMPARRISON your workmanship is far superior IMHO  :yesnod: and this creation of yours will inspire others. :cheers: :cheers:
Please continue to update as many follow along eagerly.  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

You can work on my car anytime  :smilielol:

Fantastic job, can't wait too see it finished. Hope you built an extra room for all the hardware your gonna receive  ;)

Stevearino

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Like I said this might not suit everyone's taste but I will be happy if I can get 85% of what I have in mind. I have already had to make several compromises based on practicality but I think this will be hopefully the  last visual one .
Ghoste, Indygeneralee made that suggestion and I considered it for a minute but even moving the gas filler back to that location, which is just ahead of the wing caused some problems. It gets cramped in that area pretty quick and making the bends to run the fill tube forward was as much of a problem as mounting it into the quarter top.

roger440

With tuning software you should be able to disable that fault code/diagnostic.

If its not looking for a fault condition then it wont care.

Then you can simply do something else / modify your fuel tank breather.
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

Stevearino

Quote from: roger440 on December 23, 2013, 03:03:58 PM
With tuning software you should be able to disable that fault code/diagnostic.

If its not looking for a fault condition then it wont care.

Then you can simply do something else / modify your fuel tank breather.
The breather is fine. It is so small re routing it would be a cinch . It's the relationship of the forward mounted tank and the available space to get to it via existing routes. The old location on the top of the quarter is almost as low as the place the fuel filler line has to travel up and over  the wheel housing. By the time you put the fuel neck in recessed the first opportunity to start back  up and over is already too low and would hold fuel in the middle of the line. You would have to turn 90 degrees as soon as you got below the sheet metal and even then it might not be on a down hill slope to  the forward inlet.  The only way to do this would be to have the filler inside the trunk.  I flat out don't like that. Where the old cars had a rubber mat in the trunk this car has a tight nape carpeted floor panel. I can't see dripping gas on something like that and having it be a pleasant experience.

cdr

whats your next area of attack ??

djcarguy

Quote from: Indygenerallee on December 15, 2013, 06:16:14 PM
Here is the other cap I was talking to you on Facebook about.. it looks pretty flush fitting...

flat black cap by indygenerallee1, on Flickr

What if ya mount a cap like this to the fuel door to draw the focus away from the door opening??   how big is  this cap? does not look very thick?   just my  :Twocents:  :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

That would be terrible to stick a non functioning fuel filler door on a car just for looks... :Twocents:

Stevearino

Quote from: Indygenerallee on December 23, 2013, 06:51:35 PM
That would be terrible to stick a non functioning fuel filler door on a car just for looks... :Twocents:
Yes... Yes it would.

Quote from: cdr on December 23, 2013, 06:19:39 PM
whats your next area of attack ??
Well I spent the last three days wishing I had installed that lift already. I am under the left rear wheel hole extending the existing wheel tub out to the 68 body. Tedious stuff. When it's done I will bore the hell out of you with some confusing pictures. Then I have to go and do the other side. :eek2: There is a lot of mend work in the trunk and around the rear window. Some support work up under the rear window too. Fun stuff in cramped spaces. Great hobby for an old guy.