News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwinvette77

cudaken

Steve, I have a old mixer you can have! Got to love Red Green!  :smilielol:

Cuda Ken
I am back

68pplcharger

:popcrn:

Awesome job... Wow that's a lot of work, but worth it after completion. I thought my road race car was a lot of work...

Stevearino

Quote from: cudaken on March 24, 2014, 08:47:14 AM

Steve, I have a old mixer you can have! Got to love Red Green!  :smilielol:

Cuda Ken
I am guessing you would hold the mixer to the door with some duct tape. :scratchchin:
Quote from: 68pplcharger on March 24, 2014, 09:41:14 AM
:popcrn:

Awesome job... Wow that's a lot of work, but worth it after completion. I thought my road race car was a lot of work...
Thanks for the thumbs up . It is appreciated.

Stevearino

Here is a little video clip of the mysterious quarter window regulator in action.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhuh5rg6ko4jvfj/Video%20Mar%2023%2C%209%2009%2031%20PM.mov

cdr

Quote from: Stevearino on March 24, 2014, 03:43:06 PM
Here is a little video clip of the mysterious quarter window regulator in action.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhuh5rg6ko4jvfj/Video%20Mar%2023%2C%209%2009%2031%20PM.mov

I like Red Green's version better!!!   :smilielol:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mike DC

It gives me the feeling of unnecessary complication when I look at the side/rear regulator assy.  

But then I feel the same way when I look at most vintage window glass regulator assys, front or back, on any car.  I can't imagine sitting down to design one of those things and ending up with anything so convoluted.  I wonder if they made goofed-up designs because the bean counters refused to allow decent precision tolerances in the parts or something.   

I would imagine just fixing the roller wheels in place on the glass (well, on a metal piece attached to the glass, anyway).  Curve the roller tracks however necessary to make the glass move in the required path.  Send the crank/motor force to the glass through a pair of cables.  Do the necessary force multiplication with gear wheels right there at the site of the crank/motor rather than spreading that job throughout the whole assembly.

Stevearino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 25, 2014, 05:56:24 PM

It gives me the feeling of unnecessary complication when I look at the side/rear regulator assy. 

But then I feel the same way when I look at most vintage window glass regulator assys, front or back, on any car.  I can't imagine sitting down to design one of those things and ending up with anything so convoluted.  I wonder if they made goofed-up designs because the bean counters refused to allow decent precision tolerances in the parts or something.   

I would imagine just fixing the roller wheels in place on the glass (well, on a metal piece attached to the glass, anyway).  Curve the roller tracks however necessary to make the glass move in the required path.  Send the crank/motor force to the glass through a pair of cables.  Do the necessary force multiplication with gear wheels right there at the site of the crank/motor rather than spreading that job throughout the whole assembly.

Mike,  When you look at the confined space and the size and shape of the glass the configuration designed by Dodge back in the day can't really be improved upon to get the glass to move up and out after rotating up away from the wheel tub. Since this is the back seat area I am not going to over think this one. They have some pretty inexpensive universal window motors that simply attach to the crank with different adapters. Since I have to make my own panel covers back there it won't be too hard to cover the small motor under an arm rest. If this was the door glass I would be putting a little more effort into it. This looks like a good place for a short cut.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Montreal Wing Car

Steve,
The pink thingie in the shifter mechanism is prone to breakeage, this is a billet replacement to prevent this: http://www.custombilletstore.com/Genuine_Billet_Tech_Pink_Thingy_Replacement_p/1028.htm

Keep the updates coming, I love the idea of combining my two dream cars... here are my two lesser-models, still separate!

Hosted on Fotki

Ben

Stevearino

Hey Ben,
Thanks for the link. I am ordering one of those cams and the return spring. Seems like that plastic thing could leave you high and dry out on the road somewhere. Those two cars you have look just fine the way they are. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see a new Charger and think how easily I could have just fixed this car and gotten another for my project. Too late for that now ::)

Montreal Wing Car

It's funny, when I drive my Charger, I wish it looked like my Satellite, and when I drive the Satellite (318, 4-wheel manual drums!), I wish it had the Charger's motor and suspension, but they both get equal thumbs ups!
Ben

Montreal Wing Car

Chrysler changed the design in what LX enthusiasts call the "second generation Charger"  ::) in 2008, no more pink thingie...

Ben

Stevearino

I don't know if it will ever be hooked up but I re mounted the satellite radio receiver back in the car. I don't want to mount the antenna on the roof so it will be dormant for now.
I finally got around to finishing up the package tray connection to the base of the rear glass.
Since there is no Dutchman panel or rear package tray support I did a little truss work to stiffen up the base of the rear glass bed and the forward trunk lid rim.
Looks a little unorthodox but it did the trick.

Stevearino

I cleaned up the right side inner panel that carries the window regulator. I had intended to make this a removable panel as installing the regulator mechanism is a bit of a nightmare. Also I had intended to try and modify things to accept the window regulator from the 06. I gave up that notion after seeing how complex the motion of the glass is so I decided to weld this panel back in the car permanently. Just as well because this adds some strength to this quarter section.
I used a little trick when bead blasting this part which should save me a little bit of heartache. I tightened some bolts over the ghost marks left on the panel by the assembly bolts and then blasted it. When removed they show a clear outline of where the regulator was bolted up saving me from starting my installation from scratch.
I welded the panel back into place and then used some .060 steel to mend it back to the 06 wheel tub and then painted the whole mess black to make me feel like I was making some progress here.

Stevearino

Wheels and Tires. New windshield. New door skins.  :'( :'( :'( Sad wallet.

Stevearino

Thanks To 69HemiBee for a great price break on the windshield and two door skins. Got everything delivered for about what the doors skins alone retail for.

Mike DC

Good deal on the doors.  
The progress looks great Steve.  

-------------------------------------

Correction, from the last page. 
In case somebody ever uses this thread for a number reference:

The distance between the '68 Charger's lower rocker flanges (side to side).  I just made a metal template to measure it more accurately.  On my '69 car it is definitely 56.5" rather than 57".    

Stevearino

The last part of the tie in on the right side back of the car  was to locate the anchor points for the seat belts. Since the inner panel in the rear area was in a little farther that the 06 I had to create a new pocket that would allow the belt reel to recess in leaving the belt more or less flush to the outside. Another anchor point was fabricated out of .060 steel in the "C" post itself about where that pick up point was on the 06. With these two pieces welded in I moved to the front belt housing This has a much bigger reel since it houses not only the belt but some nifty explody stuff that ties in with the SRS system. This was originally housed in the "B" pillar of the 06 so I mounted it just behind the seat in a similar location . This will be covered by an arm rest side panel. Not shown is the belt going up to the roof through a loop and back down again. Believe it or not the loop had a bolt in it that threaded right into the shoulder harness bolt location already in the 68 roof. :o Got lucky there. I was sure this was a metric bolt that would not fit into that location but apparently to my surprise the standard for seatbelt anchor bolts was established back in the 60's and hasn't been changed since.

Finn

I never thought I would be jealous of retractable rear seat belts...that is a nice touch!  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

FJ5WING

I just played two page catch up.

AWESOME job Stevearino! :2thumbs:

wingless now, but still around.

Stevearino

Quote from: Finn on April 07, 2014, 09:54:32 PM
I never thought I would be jealous of retractable rear seat belts...that is a nice touch!  :2thumbs:
Quote from: FJ5WING on April 09, 2014, 06:37:39 AM
I just played two page catch up.

AWESOME job Stevearino! :2thumbs:

Thanks guys. I realize the stuff I am doing right now is a bit mundane compared to dropping an elephant in to an engine bay but I wanted to share the whole process warts and all .

cdr

your car already has hemi & your car build is way better than anything else i have seen. :yesnod:

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona