News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

the talent shown in this thread is mind boggling.

and that description might well be an understatement.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Stevearino

Quote from: held1823 on June 01, 2014, 07:31:31 PM
the talent shown in this thread is mind boggling.

and that description might well be an understatement.
Thank you for the compliment but it is still looking like a rat rod so far.

Daytona R/T SE

Interesting. :scratchchin:

On the Lexan windows,

Can you put thin plastic sheeting, maybe light window tint on the lexan, inside and out, and when it gets too scratched up....peel and replace ?

Don't they make something like that for racecar windshields ?  :shruggy:

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 01, 2014, 09:46:20 PM

On the Lexan windows,

Can you put thin plastic sheeting, maybe light window tint on the lexan, inside and out, and when it gets too scratched up....peel and replace ?

The molded windshields have a protective coating on them but we also put clear tear off material on them. I hadn't thought about it but you are right. That might be a good idea for the exterior surface. A guy at work suggested the tint film which I would assume is scratch resistant because of the fact that it is put on the interior of side glass all the time.  Good suggestion.
Thanks R/T SE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Stevearino on June 02, 2014, 05:08:20 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 01, 2014, 09:46:20 PM

On the Lexan windows,

The molded windshields have a protective coating on them but we also put clear tear off material on them. I hadn't thought about it but you are right. That might be a good idea for the exterior surface. A guy at work suggested the tint film which I would assume is scratch resistant because of the fact that it is put on the interior of side glass all the time.  Good suggestion.
Thanks R/T SE

:cheers:

tsmithae

Steve, the work you keep pulling off is really quite impressive!   :2thumbs:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Baldwinvette77

At least you wont have to worry about anyone breaking in  :lol:

Stevearino

Quote from: tsmithae on June 02, 2014, 09:07:32 AM
Steve, the work you keep pulling off is really quite impressive!   :2thumbs:
I won't be impressed until I am driving the thing. Definitely pushing my limits on this project.
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 02, 2014, 09:14:29 AM
At least you wont have to worry about anyone breaking in  :lol:
Only good for small caliber bullets. :icon_smile_wink:

Indygenerallee

Steve, Looking fantastic as always!! Lot's of quality, time consuming work there!!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

70 sublime

Door window glass

Any chance the glass is right from a later model Charger like the 73 ?

Even if it was a bit bigger it could be cut down ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Stevearino

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 03, 2014, 08:00:29 AM
Door window glass

Any chance the glass is right from a later model Charger like the 73 ?

Even if it was a bit bigger it could be cut down ?
After taking a lot of patterns it turns out that 69 Camaro glass is the closest to this shape. Unfortunately tempered glass cannot be cut. I thought I had a good match with a 73 Dart Swinger side glass but it was pretty far off. Bottom line is that you have to match the arc of the roof, the A post angle,the slant of the quarter window and the overall top to bottom dimension so that the glass will roll down in the door. The 71 Mopars have a gentle sweep from the A post into the roof and the quarter glass angle would not match not to mention a more laid back A post to start with.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

It has been slow at work for the first time since November so I took a couple of days off and tried to make a little head way. I decided to focus and get as much sorted out on the drivers door as I could. I started with the outside door handle. I made a mock up of the upper  right corner of the door skin so that I could work out the location and re bend all of the actuator rods to work the lock and the handle. I used the 06 handles and it worked out pretty good.

Stevearino

You wouldn't think setting a door speaker would be a big deal but the 06 door speaker has a plastic housing that protects it from rain water that had to be accommodated. I had to relief cut the lower door to get it to sit flat with the inner door panel.

Stevearino

The top of the door on the SRT had a detail that I decided to try to reproduce. I used a small segment from the original door panel with the inner door handle as a guide and made the top panel out of .021 steel.
Using the original arm rest as a model I built one that looks something like it again out of .021 steel. I was able to scavenge the door pull section and work it into the new arm rest. I also cut out and set the power window buttons in this piece. This piece is separate from the upper so that it can be covered with vinyl as the top pieced will be.
Below the arm rest I began to shape the lower door panel out of bits and pieces of steel again trying to reproduce the style of the front 4 door inner panel.

Stevearino

I worked up the lower panel that will include a map pocket on the door since I was able to scavenge the speaker cover from the 06 which has the front side of the map pocket attached to it.

Stevearino

It is far from done but it is shaping up the way I had hoped. I had it on and off the car a couple of times making sure I wasn't getting jammed against the dash. Covering this is definitely going to be a challenge. I will have to Bondo all the seams and make some more foam transition pieces. It might seem like I am getting ahead of myself with this inner panel but locating all the innards and making sure all of the stuff works before I skin the door is prudent I think.

Indygenerallee

Steve, your nuts and I mean that in the best way possible!!! That door looks awesome!!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

Quote from: Indygenerallee on June 08, 2014, 06:29:31 PM
Steve, your nuts and I mean that in the best way possible!!! That door looks awesome!!  :2thumbs:
Thanks, It weighs a ton.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on June 08, 2014, 07:22:10 PM
Thanks, It weighs a ton.

But it DOES look awesome, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?  :cheers:

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 08, 2014, 08:08:16 PM
Thanks, It weighs a ton.

But it DOES look awesome, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?  :cheers:
Thanks Baldwinvette77.  How is the Road Warrior coming along. We gonna see some rubber fly before it gets cold again?

tsmithae

Wow, that is just impressive!  :2thumbs:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on June 09, 2014, 05:07:26 AM
Thanks, It weighs a ton.

Thanks Baldwinvette77.  How is the Road Warrior coming along. We gonna see some rubber fly before it gets cold again?

coming along nicely, Have a kickass Madmax Loving australian girl helping me pick out/design a hood scoop (cant fit an air cleaner under the stock hood) 

and I hope so,  :lol: Need some cash first, ignition parts aint cheap, plus the bellhousing is set up for a more expensive 168 tooth flywheel  :scratchchin:

If it counts, i spent a few hours ripping off the old seam sealer around the windshield frames, the stuff flew everywhere  :smilielol:

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 09, 2014, 08:54:57 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on June 09, 2014, 05:07:26 AM
Steve, your nuts and I mean that in the best way possible!!! That door looks awesome!!  :2thumbs:
Thanks, It weighs a ton.

But it DOES look awesome, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?  :cheers:
Thanks Baldwinvette77.  How is the Road Warrior coming along. We gonna see some rubber fly before it gets cold again?

coming along nicely, Have a kickass Madmax Loving australian girl helping me pick out/design a hood scoop (cant fit an air cleaner under the stock hood)  

and I hope so,  :lol: Need some cash first, ignition parts aint cheap, plus the bellhousing is set up for a more expensive 168 tooth flywheel  :scratchchin:

If it counts, i spent a few hours ripping off the old seam sealer around the windshield frames, the stuff flew everywhere  :smilielol:

It all counts man. It all counts.

OleHarleyRider

Quote from: Stevearino on June 02, 2013, 08:00:34 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 02, 2013, 07:15:52 PM
Heres another 69 to 08 charger

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149892

Wow! Ole Rowdy Gowdy ain't scared.  I love the way he's doing it with a tractor , an electric grinder,and a stick welder in a car port with some tarps down the sides. Holy Moly!

:2thumbs:
Love in Christ,
Terry & Kermie