News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on April 16, 2015, 05:07:12 PM
  Steve, that front spoiler is killer, cleaner than clean, your not going to change it are you ?

The wheel lip of your fenders are excellent, how did you put them in or did I miss it ?  When I did the flares on my fenders I hammer and dollied  them but the metal got tight at about 45 degrees and I didn't have heat to move it further so I had to let it go at that.
The front spoiler is just a mock up but it is what I think I want it to look like in size. It was originally about 2 1/2" longer and looked way too big so I did a quick trim to see and I think I like the size too.

I started working the front fender lip out with a pair of vise grips with 3" wide jaws. After a while, as you say, it created a lot of tension in the panel above the wheel opening and was flattening this area. The metal in these fenders is a lot harder to form than the stuff I am used to working with. I took my small metal stretcher off of the stand it shares with the metal shrinker and made a lower handle for it . This way I was able to use it on the lip of the fender while it was still on the car. Much easier to see what you are doing this way. I stretched the metal until it relaxed enough to let the shape return above the wheel opening and allow me to roll the lip up a little more. I will soften the flair when I bondo the fender making the transition a little more gentle.

Baldwinvette77

Hemi Runner

Steve, that front spoiler is killer, cleaner than clean, your not going to change it are you ?

The wheel lip of your fenders are excellent, how did you put them in or did I miss it ?  When I did the flares on my fenders I hammer and dollied  them but the metal got tight at about 45 degrees and I didn't have heat to move it further so I had to let it go at that.

Here's my take on wing car front spoilers: They need to be longer, at a steeper angle, and extend out farther and then turn back to go along the side of the nose clear back to the front tire. At least that's how I will be making mine.

Stevearino

Quote from: Hemi Runner on April 16, 2015, 08:04:53 PM

Here's my take on wing car front spoilers: They need to be longer, at a steeper angle, and extend out farther and then turn back to go along the side of the nose clear back to the front tire. At least that's how I will be making mine.

That is the direction I started with because that is what the race version looked like but it just looked over the top once I mocked it up that way. Here is a photo of the original mock up.

Hemi Runner

I was thinking something more like this but adapted to the daytona nose.

Hemi Runner

Stevearino

:o Well that would be different. You would have to get the car a lot lower to the ground than I was able to with the SRT-8 chassis. Both those examples start with cars that have bumpers that are already closer to the ground than the front of the Daytona nose so it would look pretty massive on the wingcar. But I guess if you fooled with it for a while you could make it work. :shruggy:

moparstuart

Tom made something similar on the Black Ice Superbird  not my taste
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Stevearino

Quote from: moparstuart on April 16, 2015, 10:40:30 PM
Tom made something similar on the Black Ice Superbird  not my taste

That would be certainly effective for aero purposes. Not sure what it does for the look of the car. Hey. Whatever floats yer boat. :coolgleamA:

Hemi Runner

If the one on that black ice car was moved forward to where the original spoiler mounted and then had the sides extended back to the wheel well, it would be perfect. For my purposes, anyhow. I agree on the lower part but then I'm not a fan of jacked up wing cars either. I think you've got a good thing going there. From now on, I'll be quiet. :lol:

You can see I'm not building a daily driver nor do I have your metal talents...http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?86396-70-Hemi-Superbird-Restoration-errr-scratch-that

Stevearino

Quote from: Hemi Runner on April 17, 2015, 06:55:59 AM
If the one on that black ice car was moved forward to where the original spoiler mounted and then had the sides extended back to the wheel well, it would be perfect. For my purposes, anyhow. I agree on the lower part but then I'm not a fan of jacked up wing cars either. I think you've got a good thing going there. From now on, I'll be quiet. :lol:

You can see I'm not building a daily driver nor do I have your metal talents...http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?86396-70-Hemi-Superbird-Restoration-errr-scratch-that
I see what you are getting at now. And by all means feel free to give your opinions here. I have been saved from my own stubborness more than once on this thread. That is one of the reasons I am here.By the way I was reading your thread a couple of days ago and looking at the timeline so far I am amazed at your progress so far. That is going to be one bad ass clone. :yesnod:

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Stevearino on April 17, 2015, 08:26:13 AM
Quote from: Hemi Runner on April 17, 2015, 06:55:59 AM

I see what you are getting at now. And by all means feel free to give your opinions here. I have been saved from my own stubborness more than once on this thread. That is one of the reasons I am here.By the way I was reading your thread a couple of days ago and looking at the timeline so far I am amazed at your progress so far. That is going to be one bad ass clone. :yesnod:
Thanks. I have a lot to do. Nowhere near as daunting or complex as what you've done, but a challenge for me none the less. 

472 R/T SE

I haven't forgot to record my Magnum with no suitcase mufflers.

We have a GoPro now so I'll be dialed.

Stevearino

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 25, 2015, 08:42:09 AM
I haven't forgot to record my Magnum with no suitcase mufflers.

We have a GoPro now so I'll be dialed.
I look forward to that post. :2thumbs:

Baldwinvette77

Stevearino

I haven't posted in a while because what I am doing might look like I am going backwards but it is a lot of little details that needs to be finished up.
I have the left front fender about 80% complete as far as the fab work and I jumped over to the right side to get it caught up and it is now pretty much done as far as fabrication. I had to add some metal to the back edge of the fender to true up the fender to door gap.  I finished shaping the fender scoop and welded it to the top of the fender. I cut a hole in the top of the fender not for aero or tire clearance but so that I can more completely paint the under side since it is not removable. With the inner fender tubs this is sealed up anyway so they are strictly for show here.
The third picture here is  the attachment I had to work out on the bottom of the fender to the rocker. I counter sunk and welded two !/4 20 flange nuts into the rocker and then added some slotted tabs to the fender so that I could adjust it in and out. Also in this picture you can see the outlines of where I lengthened the lower fender 2" and a patch I added to replace some rusty metal.
I could not get the fender gap on the right side as good as the left fender where it meets the hood so I had to compromise and add some metal to straighten out the gap.

Stevearino

Here are a couple of pictures of the right side fender off the car to show what it looks like after I added all of the stiffeners and attachment flanges.

Stevearino

The aluminum pan that ties in the fender nose and wheel tub had to be relieved  on the right side to allow clearance for the window washer fluid bottle to hang out of the bottom. I made a small cover to keep road debris from hitting it.

Stevearino

I also finished the support structure for the fenders and the nose although I still have to finish weld some areas after I remove it from the car. All of the tabs for the headlights are in place now and the curved ends to hold the fender front shape are in.

Baldwinvette77

Dat metal work though  :coolgleamA:

im wiring up my charger, which gives me the illusion that im getting closer to finishing it  :lol:  , funny enough, the only thing i've having trouble with it wiring up a stock wiper switch to the wiper motor  :eek2:

Stevearino

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 03, 2015, 04:55:39 PM
Dat metal work though  :coolgleamA:

im wiring up my charger, which gives me the illusion that im getting closer to finishing it  :lol:  , funny enough, the only thing i've having trouble with it wiring up a stock wiper switch to the wiper motor  :eek2:

You'll have that on a job that size. :rotz:

Hemi Runner

I love it. Keep up the good work!!

Stevearino

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Stevearino on May 06, 2015, 07:43:41 PM
Looks like by the time I get this done it will be old hat.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/07/meet-the-coroner-dodge-coronet-charger-srt8/
theres 3 others i know of a road runner and another charger

http://www.westcoastclassicinc.com/1969-road-runner-srt8/

i would like to do one some day with another members 68 coronet, i've always liked the 68/69 plymouths and coronets  :drool5: