News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on December 19, 2015, 08:23:27 PM
Good choice!  You'll like the "Chroma" products. They're nice to spray! At least that's my two cents.  :Twocents:

I have just been following the advice of more than a few people who know quite a bit more than I do on the paint choice.

Quote from: Patronus on December 19, 2015, 09:01:22 PM
Looks like a lot of work to me. I'm not the gun man, but I'm right there in the booth the whole time. (I also do all the mixing)
I remember the Charger was a bear to paint. It's big and wide. We just did an E-body and it was still a bitch. I can't imagine painting all the extra 'tona bits. Lots of sweat for sure.
Keep up the great work
Thanks. I have been working steadily on the body work since August and there is still a long way to go. One foot in front of the other. :eek2:

68pplcharger

Looking great so far, just takes time and attention to detail to get it right.

djcarguy

Happy new year. Any new pixs or info??   :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

jaak

Haven't checked out this thread in a while..... OMG.... this is the best build on this site! Keep up the great work, I CANNOT wait to see this finished.
Nice job  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Daytona Guy

Quote from: jaak on January 02, 2016, 01:13:46 AM
Haven't checked out this thread in a while..... OMG.... this is the best build on this site! Keep up the great work, I CANNOT wait to see this finished.

Ditto - - - - - - - !!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me want to do mine over :)

Dane

Stevearino

Quote from: 68pplcharger on December 21, 2015, 11:39:35 AM
Looking great so far, just takes time and attention to detail to get it right.
Thanks 68pplcharger. Seeing the effort you put into your ride made me step up my game.

Quote from: jaak on January 02, 2016, 01:13:46 AM

If I can get through this paint job it will be a great relief. Feels like I am walking on eggs right now.

Quote from: Daytona Guy on January 02, 2016, 03:35:48 PM

Ditto - - - - - - - !!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me want to do mine over :)

Dane

Dane, you leave that blue beauty alone. You can't improve on perfection. :coolgleamA:

Well I finally got the outside of the body wet sanded down to 400. My daughter was visiting with her husband over the Christmas holidays and took these pictures with here new clip on wide angle lens for her I-phone.

Stevearino

Looked like I was ready for color right? Not quite. I had to strip the car back down to work on the door jambs ,trunk lid well, the back sides of the doors , the insides of the front fenders and the bottom side of the hood and trunk lid.  I made myself some profile cradles to keep those items from shuffling around while working on them.

Stevearino

Man! These parts off the car really take up a lot of room. After I get the jamb work done and put some color on them I will have to drag the car back out of the spray booth and drag this stuff in to work on. I would say this is taking longer than expected but I really didn't know what to expect.  :lol:

tan top

:scope: looking good !! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:    :drool5:  :popcrn: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Indygenerallee

:drool5: :drool5: Looks great Steve! Can't wait to see some color on it!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Aero426

Keep pushing.   This car is going to be dynamite.

ACUDANUT

2016 Is your year to hit the Road.  Get'er done.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Stevearino

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Body and Paint are not my speciality by any stretch of the imagination. Being a glass half empty kind of guy it's doubly hard to get motivated in the winter but I am gonna keep pluggin away.  I will get some paint on this thing.  :P  The real kicker is when the car is done and completely together I will have to wait another 6 weeks for the DMV to finish the title work before I can take it on the road. When I started this project as you know the car came from Georgia which did not title cars until the early 80's even from the dealer. So this car never had one. No problem DMV said. With the bill of sale and a bond from my insurance company I was able to get an "Inoperable Title" since the car was just a shell. The guy who came out to inspect it said for me to call when it was running under it's own power. Well I worked like crazy to get it to that point only to have them say that rule has been changed. Now the car must be road worthy. Lights glass wipers ect.  :shruggy: So I got that going for me..... which is nice.

thedodgeboys

Stevearino

Quote from: thedodgeboys on January 15, 2016, 05:19:46 AM
Looks like someone has noticed your awesome build....

Hot Rod Magazine http://www.hotrod.com/features/1601-man-resurrects-totaled-srt8-charger-as-a-dodge-daytona/?sm_id=social_aumohotrodsshub_default_20160115_57282906&adbid=10153196906977540&adbpl=fb&adbpr=13601527539#photo-01

Congrats on the coverage  :cheers:
Yeah. That is pretty crazy stuff right there. I'd like to thank Johnny Hunkins for writing the article.

70Sbird

Steve, you're Famous!
I just breezed through the Hot Rod gallery but as I and others have said before, you do amazing work. This car will be incredible when finished.
Congrats!

Scott Faulkner

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XS29L9B2

very nice for hot rodding magazin  :popcrn:
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 70Sbird on January 15, 2016, 10:48:56 AM
Steve, you're Famous!
I just breezed through the Hot Rod gallery but as I and others have said before, you do amazing work. This car will be incredible when finished.
Congrats!

x2!  Congrats!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Stevearino

Thanks guys. It was a really bizarre week. My Facebook page post about this build got shared somewhere and out of nowhere it exploded. I started accepting friends as I thought a few more people were curious to follow the build. In 3 days I had gone from about 200 friends to the maximum 5000 and had to activate the "follow" button. Just when I thought it was over I got a call about posting the build on the Hot Rodding website. I agreed and as of this afternoon after about 18 hours there had been over 1,200,000 page views of the article. That is just plain ridiculous.  To say the least I have been a little overwhelmed by the sudden interest. Bottom line is despite all the new attention, tomorrow it will be just me and my sanding block out in the shop with a few crickets and maybe a lizard trying to stay out of the cold. So time to let all the air back out of my head and get back to work.

keepat

Awesome article on your awesome Daytona! congratulations!
Pat

garner7555

Well deserved press.   :yesnod:   I think you and Keepat may both end up at SEMA.  Amazing rides that you guys are building.   :2thumbs:   :coolgleamA:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Cha11engerD

Hey Steve, found the Hot Rod article about this car and I just wanted to give my praise and compliments to you for creating an awesome car. Hope to build one of my own some day. :2thumbs:

thedodgeboys

Quote from: Stevearino on January 15, 2016, 05:26:41 PM
Thanks guys. It was a really bizarre week. My Facebook page post about this build got shared somewhere and out of nowhere it exploded. I started accepting friends as I thought a few more people were curious to follow the build. In 3 days I had gone from about 200 friends to the maximum 5000 and had to activate the "follow" button. Just when I thought it was over I got a call about posting the build on the Hot Rodding website. I agreed and as of this afternoon after about 18 hours there had been over 1,200,000 page views of the article. That is just plain ridiculous.  To say the least I have been a little overwhelmed by the sudden interest. Bottom line is despite all the new attention, tomorrow it will be just me and my sanding block out in the shop with a few crickets and maybe a lizard trying to stay out of the cold. So time to let all the air back out of my head and get back to work.

Enjoy it  :drool5: now finish it  :slap: LOL life will never really be the same...