News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

And even though it must come off again for paint here is some wing.

Hemi Runner

Excellent work, that thing is sharp! I sure wish I was that close to a test drive!

Stevearino

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 27, 2016, 06:08:49 PM
Excellent work, that thing is sharp! I sure wish I was that close to a test drive!
I still have quite a bit to do. But it is getting good to me. :yesnod:

ACUDANUT

Please insure that awesome ride and maybe look into "low jack" ?

71_Charger_R/T

WOW!
What a transformation!  You've come a long way! Looks fantastic!

I like the subtlety of the color difference. Very classy!

Stevearino

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 28, 2016, 06:00:36 PM
Please insure that awesome ride and maybe look into "low jack" ?

I will have to look into that. :yesnod:

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on May 29, 2016, 06:07:41 AM
WOW!
What a transformation!  You've come a long way! Looks fantastic!

I like the subtlety of the color difference. Very classy!

Was pretty rough wasn't it? Geez. I got lucky and got that car for $1,500.00 . I see the same thing going for 3 times that amount today.

Hemi Runner

This thread started in May of 2013 and here we are May of 2016, 3 years later. How much work was done (or how much time elapsed from conception of the idea)prior to starting the thread?

winghawg

just amazing stunning work

Arigmaster

Looking awesome Steve!

Just wondering about one thing... Doesn't the DOT require side marker lights? I know they were deleted for the style (and I like it) but don't want to see you targeted for any pull overs... Any of our Law enforcement members want to chime in on that?

If required... I think the 68 side markers would be subtle and the easiest to put back in without having any repaint...

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Arigmaster on May 29, 2016, 01:40:03 PM
Looking awesome Steve!

Just wondering about one thing... Doesn't the DOT require side marker lights? I know they were deleted for the style (and I like it) but don't want to see you targeted for any pull overs... Any of our Law enforcement members want to chime in on that?

If required... I think the 68 side markers would be subtle and the easiest to put back in without having any repaint...

Yes side markers lites or reflectors are required for US made vehicles, and exported vehicles being titled/reg in the US since 1968, but being a habitual traffic offender, I find that often "splitting the hair of the law" gets charges dismissed in court, or throws an uninformed LEO off track resulting in no ticket/written offense/summons, if stopped for this "infraction"(chances are you'll get stopped just to check out your ride instead!) I would tell any LEO that's a DOT requirement for "commercial" vehicles and trailers, that Automobiles have them, but are not DOT required

Worse comes to worse, if summoned, you but some temporary sticky reflectors on, got to court with the 5/10 day repair summons, pictures, vehicle inspection report, plead not guilty with extenuating circumstances, those being you had the parts on order to install at a later date because the car was just repainted, or some other excuse, charges dismissed, court fees if any, usually $20-$40 dollars...remove the sticky markers go back to enjoying your ride

If your really worried about it come registration/inspection time, get some small reflectors, mount them to some thin magnetic sign material/gasket "stick" them on and pull them off when needed

Mike

Highbanked Hauler

North Carolina is very lax on older vehicles. You should see some of the rat rods here running open headers not to mention truck rocker panels belt high and tires 4 in. beyond the fenders. With lights and tread tires  you could probably register a stock car.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 29, 2016, 06:29:42 PM
North Carolina is very lax on older vehicles. You should see some of the rat rods here running open headers not to mention truck rocker panels belt high and tires 4 in. beyond the fenders. With lights and tread tires  you could probably register a stock car.

:smilielol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Stevearino

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 29, 2016, 07:02:30 AM
This thread started in May of 2013 and here we are May of 2016, 3 years later. How much work was done (or how much time elapsed from conception of the idea)prior to starting the thread?

I picked the 68 Charger up in September of 2012 but I had a lot of work to finish up my shop before I could start work on it. The project was started in earnest in January of 2013 so about 4 months into it I started posting here.

Quote from: winghawg on May 29, 2016, 10:48:11 AM
just amazing stunning work

Thank you windghawg.

Quote from: Arigmaster on May 29, 2016, 01:40:03 PM
Looking awesome Steve!

I don't know about the requirements truthfully but as Highbank Hauler said you would be shocked at what you will see on the road around here. You know I get the cool creative aspect of building a rat rod but some of that stuff is just plain dangerous looking.  I do have side markers in the front. They are on the sides of the front air dam which is not yet on the car.

If need be I will just put some small reflectors on the rear on as DAYCLONA suggested. With the grey color I don't think this car will get that much attention. :smilielol:

mike69440

With the grey color I don't think this car will get that much attention.
[/quote]

Ha-Ha 

It could be a flat pastel and still stop traffic.

Steve.

I wonder why Fiat Chrysler has not donated a Hellcat 8 Speed auto just for the publicity?  Stingy bunch.

I still say producing about 100 of these would sell for a ungodly sum!

Stevearino

Quote from: mike69440 on May 30, 2016, 07:46:33 PM

Ha-Ha 

Steve.

I wonder why Fiat Chrysler has not donated a Hellcat 8 Speed auto just for the publicity?  Stingy bunch.

I still say producing about 100 of these would sell for a ungodly sum!

[/quote]

Yeah. What is up with that. Where is my 700 hp.  :lol:

Well I decided to tinker with the idea of rear side markers. Instead of reflectors though I picked up some of these sealed LED strips and slipped them in behind the bumper sides. I kind of like it.

Stevearino

I installed the signal lights , the grill and the running lights into the nose. I also got the rest of the dashboard assembled. I tested out all of the heater controls and the radio and that all works. I did have to take the radio back out because they don't work so good with out the antenna hooked up. I got one of those cheap powered hot rod antennas that you can stick to the windshield but since the wiring went to the back window I just stuck it there on the package tray and it seems to work fine.

Of all the things I have done to this car sticking those stinking HEMI badges to the door was the first thing that got me really excited. What the hell?

I sanded and clear coated the chin spoiler but I got some junk in it so I have to sand and buff it.

Stevearino

I had purchased a insulation mat for under the hood but I like the shiny look of the underside of the hood. So as to not waste $50.00 I cut it up and glued it to the underside of the roof as sound deadner.

I also installed the side window gasket molding. I had drilled some cleco locations before I uninstalled it so that hopefully I won't have to adjust it's location again.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Stevearino on May 30, 2016, 08:24:24 PM
Quote from: mike69440 on May 30, 2016, 07:46:33 PM

Ha-Ha  

Steve.

Well I decided to tinker with the idea of rear side markers. Instead of reflectors though I picked up some of these sealed LED strips and slipped them in behind the bumper sides. I kind of like it.

[/quote]

I like more then kinda...... :yesnod: Hope you don't have this copyrighted, as I filed this away for future use. Almost certainly will show up in the future on one of my rigs. Hmmm.....wonder how that would look on a E-body Challenger? A subtle, reversable change that works better.....yeah. :2thumbs:

I really like the thinking behind it. Not just change for the sake of change, but functional. :2thumbs:

Looking great.......as expected. :drool5:

You do realize every time you raise the bar......you are making it more difficult for yourself in future projects? :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

Looking incredible Steve! Keep up the incredible work.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dave Kanofsky

This project and your talent is endlessly amazing.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

WINGIN IT

The best part of this thread is that you think through the feedback from everyone and implement and innovate  any improvements with such skill.

The LED side marker lights are just the latest example .

Arigmaster

"Well I decided to tinker with the idea of rear side markers. Instead of reflectors though I picked up some of these sealed LED strips and slipped them in behind the bumper sides. I kind of like it."

That's Genius stuff right there... Looks pretty cool.  Since the wing wasn't painted yet it would look really tricked if you could embed those into the lower bases of the uprights with a flush lenses. (too much like work though)

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Arigmaster on May 31, 2016, 01:39:56 PM
"Well I decided to tinker with the idea of rear side markers. Instead of reflectors though I picked up some of these sealed LED strips and slipped them in behind the bumper sides. I kind of like it."

That's Genius stuff right there... Looks pretty cool.  Since the wing wasn't painted yet it would look really tricked if you could embed those into the lower bases of the uprights with a flush lenses. (too much like work though)

I wanted to mount a 3rd brake light under the center of the wing , with a small strip of LEDs .
But I think it would have to be some kind of wireless set up ( mount any receiver/actuator into brake light harness in trunk).
But I think it might be too bulky looking.

I like this idea for the side marker lights.

crj1968

What a cool idea for the side markers- when I first read "I'm thinking of doing side markers.." I thought....NO!!!!!

And then I saw them.   :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

What a fantastic car....I hope we'll get to see people react to it on the street soon !

Stevearino

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on May 31, 2016, 06:38:14 AM

I like more then kinda...... :yesnod: Hope you don't have this copyrighted, as I filed this away for future use. Almost certainly will show up in the future on one of my rigs. Hmmm.....wonder how that would look on a E-body Challenger? A subtle, reversable change that works better.....yeah. :2thumbs:

I really like the thinking behind it. Not just change for the sake of change, but functional. :2thumbs:

Looking great.......as expected. :drool5:

You do realize every time you raise the bar......you are making it more difficult for yourself in future projects? :scratchchin:

Future projects. :smilielol: I gotta start patching my house back together.

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 31, 2016, 07:20:06 AM
Looking incredible Steve! Keep up the incredible work.

Thanks Charger-Bodie.

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 31, 2016, 09:12:53 AM
This project and your talent is endlessly amazing.

I appreciate the thumbs up Dave.

Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 31, 2016, 12:18:02 PM
The best part of this thread is that you think through the feedback from everyone and implement and innovate  any improvements with such skill.

The LED side marker lights are just the latest example .

When ever someone calls me out on something I over looked my first thought is "oh well" and then I can't ever let it go.  OCD I suppose.

Quote from: Arigmaster on May 31, 2016, 01:39:56 PM

That's Genius stuff right there... Looks pretty cool.  Since the wing wasn't painted yet it would look really tricked if you could embed those into the lower bases of the uprights with a flush lenses. (too much like work though)

Well wings are like wheels. They bolt on. I can always build another and tinker with it if the mood strikes me.

Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 31, 2016, 02:11:14 PM

I wanted to mount a 3rd brake light under the center of the wing , with a small strip of LEDs .
But I think it would have to be some kind of wireless set up ( mount any receiver/actuator into brake light harness in trunk).
But I think it might be too bulky looking.

I like this idea for the side marker lights.

It can be done. When I get a chance I will draw it up and post it here. If the wing is hollow there is no reason why you cannot fish the wires through to make a hard connection to the tail lights.

Quote from: crj1968 on May 31, 2016, 03:28:03 PM
What a cool idea for the side markers- when I first read "I'm thinking of doing side markers.." I thought....NO!!!!!

And then I saw them.   :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

What a fantastic car....I hope we'll get to see people react to it on the street soon !

I hope to fire it up soon. :2thumbs: