News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGIN IT

Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 31, 2016, 02:11:14 PM

I wanted to mount a 3rd brake light under the center of the wing , with a small strip of LEDs .
But I think it would have to be some kind of wireless set up ( mount any receiver/actuator into brake light harness in trunk).
But I think it might be too bulky looking.

I like this idea for the side marker lights.

It can be done. When I get a chance I will draw it up and post it here. If the wing is hollow there is no reason why you cannot fish the wires through to make a hard connection to the tail lights.

Wouldn't you inevitably have to drill a hole in the wing were the LEDs would mount in the center?

dave14

Awesome build....... way to raise the bar I hope the rest of us can acheive half as good a clone.... I was skeptical at first of the blend of old and new car together but seeing is beleiving

Its too bad you cant go out and buy something that nice ya gotta build it ......

Stevearino

Quote from: WINGIN IT on June 01, 2016, 06:08:13 AM

I wanted to mount a 3rd brake light under the center of the wing , with a small strip of LEDs .
But I think it would have to be some kind of wireless set up ( mount any receiver/actuator into brake light harness in trunk).

It can be done. When I get a chance I will draw it up and post it here. If the wing is hollow there is no reason why you cannot fish the wires through to make a hard connection to the tail lights.

Wouldn't you inevitably have to drill a hole in the wing were the LEDs would mount in the center?

You would have to do what I have drawn up her WINGIN IT.  The wing would have to be hollow so you could fish the wires across and down the uprights.

Daytona R/T SE

I think the led's would look good mounted vertically along the trailing edge of the uprights...the entire length of the straight portion of the uprights. :Twocents:

Stevearino

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 01, 2016, 06:41:09 PM
I think the led's would look better mounted vertically along the trailing edge of the uprights...almost the entire length of the uprights. :Twocents:

Now that is a ton of work. But Yeah that would be a cool look. :coolgleamA:

Stevearino

Quote from: dave14 on June 01, 2016, 09:47:19 AM
Awesome build....... way to raise the bar I hope the rest of us can acheive half as good a clone.... I was skeptical at first of the blend of old and new car together but seeing is beleiving

Its too bad you cant go out and buy something that nice ya gotta build it ......

Thanks for the good words dave14.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Stevearino on June 01, 2016, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 01, 2016, 06:41:09 PM
I think the led's would look better mounted vertically along the trailing edge of the uprights...almost the entire length of the uprights. :Twocents:

Now that is a ton of work. But Yeah that would be a cool look. :coolgleamA:

And it would be visible from the sides as well as from behind... :scratchchin:

held1823

meh, that would look as goofy as this
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: held1823 on June 01, 2016, 06:45:56 PM

:scratchchin:

I like it. :coolgleamA:

But I'm kinda goofy myself...

:lol:

Stevearino

Quote from: held1823 on June 01, 2016, 06:45:56 PM

Wow. That is a whole lot of tail light. :o :o :o

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Stevearino on June 01, 2016, 06:35:04 PM

You would have to do what I have drawn up her WINGIN IT.  The wing would have to be hollow so you could fish the wires across and down the uprights.

I have a bird wing center section that some nimrod shortened. I will be machining some end caps to weld on and get the length back. It's a perfect candidate for the 3rd brake light. I copied the picture and will be trying it out at some point.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Hemi Runner on June 01, 2016, 09:11:28 PM

I have a bird wing center section that some nimrod shortened. I will be machining some end caps to weld on and get the length back. It's a perfect candidate for the 3rd brake light. I copied the picture and will be trying it out at some point.

Mike, unless your going to do a custom width on the Bird wing, the "factory" cut width is approx 55 1/2" wide +/- 1/4" on avg, original center sections vary a little...

FYI if the wing center has been cut, the profile is an extrusion end to end, so if you wanted, you only need to make an extension for one end, weld/dress only one end, the other cut end just re drill/retap the bolt hole if needed, along with the pin/hole...just a suggestion

Mike

Hemi Runner

It has had 3" removed overall. It's much easier to machine two 1-1/2" spacers than one 3" spacer given the tooling we have. It also allows me to run XL bolts and get penetration into the original extrusion on both ends for additional strength. Until then, I'm just using the NOS center section I got which is no longer NOS, lol. It's getting some cheap spray can paint tonight right over the factory part number!

djcarguy

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on May 29, 2016, 06:07:41 AM
WOW!
What a transformation!  You've come a long way! Looks fantastic!

I      :cheers: :cheers: :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

WINGIN IT

Steve, your design is a lot better than what I was picturing, I really like it. :yesnod:

Hemi Runner, very cool if you could make it a reality  :2thumbs:

Stevearino

Quote from: djcarguy on June 02, 2016, 07:54:37 AM
Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on May 29, 2016, 06:07:41 AM
WOW!
What a transformation!  You've come a long way! Looks fantastic!

I      :cheers: :cheers: :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks for the enthusiasm djcarguy. I hope you are making some progress on your Dartona and that we will see some pictures soon.

Quote from: WINGIN IT on June 02, 2016, 03:49:32 PM

Steve, your design is a lot better than what I was picturing, I really like it. :yesnod:

Hemi Runner, very cool if you could make it a reality  :2thumbs:

Thanks . It was kind of hard to describe in words so that's why the drawing. I hope Hemi Runner can use it.  Hemi Runner If you plan to do this to the narrowed wing you can cut the wing in half and make a center section up to accommodate the light strip. That will accomplish both ends. You wouldn't have to mill any thing. You could just cold form some .125 thick aluminum top and bottom. Weld it the pieces to the center of the two halves.......Or not. :Twocents: :shruggy:

Here are some other small details I took care of this weekend.
The barrel lock to the trunk lid was one of the first things I did over 3 years ago and it is finally installed.
I am now able to open the doors without reaching through the door handle holes.
I was going to paint them out the same as the body color but after a test fit I liked the way they looked. They carry the black from the wheels over into the body.

Stevearino

I also started the process of refurbishing the tail lights. First step was to repaint the little silver line.
Then I masked out and re painted the black.
Finally I gave them a clear coat.

Dino

I have to be honest and ask to reconsider not painting the door handles. I think it'll look a million times better in body color. The whole design screams integration and a non-matching color kinda negates the purpose. That's just my opinion...but I stick by it.   :icon_smile_big:

Maybe someone can photoshop it in body color so you can compare without doing the work?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Stevearino

Quote from: Dino on June 02, 2016, 05:06:03 PM
I have to be honest and ask to reconsider not painting the door handles. I think it'll look a million times better in body color. The whole design screams integration and a non-matching color kinda negates the purpose. That's just my opinion...but I stick by it.   :icon_smile_big:

Maybe someone can photoshop it in body color so you can compare without doing the work?

Yeah . On this one I am gonna have to say I really like the way they stand out in black.

Dino

Quote from: Stevearino on June 02, 2016, 05:17:38 PM
Quote from: Dino on June 02, 2016, 05:06:03 PM
I have to be honest and ask to reconsider not painting the door handles. I think it'll look a million times better in body color. The whole design screams integration and a non-matching color kinda negates the purpose. That's just my opinion...but I stick by it.   :icon_smile_big:

Yeah . On this one I am gonna have to say I really like the way they stand out in black.

Fair enough!   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hemi Runner

I like the idea of cutting the wing in half and adding it in the center. Where did you order the LED strip light?

Stevearino

Quote from: Hemi Runner on June 02, 2016, 07:44:14 PM
I like the idea of cutting the wing in half and adding it in the center. Where did you order the LED strip light?

Hemi Runner the self adhesive LED strips can be gotten at Autozone. They have a rack of all sorts of LED strips. There are even little battery packs and push buttons on the packages so you can test them out. I was like a monkey discovering some shiny stones.

Hemi Runner

I will pay Autozone a visit! Thanks!

JR

Also check out www.oznium.com

Cant beat them for selection and fast shipping for LEDS.

Beautiful build btw, im excited to see it come together.  Although I vote to keep the door handles body color.

This car will end up on a magazine cover one day. :2thumbs:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Stevearino on June 02, 2016, 07:50:43 PM
Quote from: Hemi Runner on June 02, 2016, 07:44:14 PM

Hemi Runner the self adhesive LED strips can be gotten at Autozone. They have a rack of all sorts of LED strips. There are even little battery packs and push buttons on the packages so you can test them out. I was like a monkey discovering some shiny stones.

Ha, I did the same thing  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod: :lol: