News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help- its too loud to enjoy

Started by ugly2u, June 04, 2013, 12:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly2u

I have a 440 bored and stroked to 496. It's so loud, its making me def. So now, when I drive I wear ear plugs. Not fun for me or my kids (who cares about the neighbors).

Edelbrock heads, Hp manifold, 3" exhaust, x-pipe, and flowmaster 40. My best run was 13.5 at the track, but had no traction on take off.

Any ideas to make it quiet, without killing the power? I can't keep driving it this way...

Thx

68X426

Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers are about the most quiet high performance muff there is. They surely do quiet down my Hemi (505 ci, 660 hp).

Add as much sound proofing as you can to the firewall and floor.

Lots of threads on these two topics. The search tool is your friend.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ugly2u

Thanks for the response. I understand quite performance can be an oxymoron. Search only showed old threads about adding glass packs to help with resonance.

The floor and interior is all dynomat knock off, plus jute mat and carpet. Fire wall only got jute mat and carpet.

Seems like the resonance noise is coming from the trunk. I filled it with dynomat, jute, carpet, foam, and a big subwoofer. My ears bleed when I turn up the stero enough to hear it...

Seems like I will be trying the dynomax.

Darkman

Remember that Dynomat's primary purpose is resonance reduction not noise blocking.
It is excellent at reducing flat panel drumming and vibration, it is not great at blocking road noise.

An excellent site which explains many key factors including why only 25% of your floor needs Dynomat.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

If you want to cut exhaust noise and heat, then foam sandwiched mass vinyl Dynapad is much better. Dynaliner is also very good for areas where Dynapad is too rigid and/or thick to conform and comes in 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" thicknesses.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

1974dodgecharger

we can trade motors?  I built up a 383, edelbrock heads, headers hookers, 3inch collectors, oh you will like it hhahahahhahah  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

It's the Flowmasters. Notorious for drone.
Either ditch 'em, or add resonators (not glass pack mufflers).
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ACUDANUT

Quote from: bill440rt on June 04, 2013, 06:49:34 AM

I have to agree. They sound great at 1st, then wear you down.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 04, 2013, 08:26:10 AM

The Blowmasters  that came on the Pickle were just aweful. I replaced them with Dynomax Super Turbos #17748 with 2 1/2" inlet & outlet & what a difference they made!

1974dodgecharger

So powerful engines don't get flow masters?

PocketThunder

I had the same thing.  Too loud to enjoy so i went with factory replacement mufflers from accurateltd.   :2thumbs:

http://www.accurateltd.com/B-Body-Mufflers-_p_192.html
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ACUDANUT

Hey ugly, I have a new exhaust on my Charger that is too quiet for me.  We could trade.  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

MoparMotel

From what I've read dynomax ultra flows will be a little quieter or Super Turbo's.

I'm in the same boat. I've got duals with H pipe and 40 series and they are too loud. Had Super Turbo's before these and they were too quiet. Looking for something in the middle like maybe Ultra Flows
1968 Dodge Charger

Big Sugar

Same here, i had my charger for 6 months and ditched that noise,sure its fun setting off car alarms on parked cars  but when you can't hear yourself think while out for a pleasure cruise you've got your priorities mixed up.  I bought a T/A style system for my  Charger from Weld Tech and the mufflers were custom made, zero drone and quite. While cruising but wake up when you mash the loud pedal

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

c00nhunterjoe

Flowmaster makes a lot more then the "tin can" 40 series........ for a deep muscle car growl with a nice aggressive tone under hard accel yet quiet cruise that I can calmly talk to my passengers, get the 50 series suv muffler from flowmaster.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zj5kXfETBfs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6pvgS9xf9Q&feature=plpp

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gQegbFH38s8&feature=plpp

Kern Dog

Drone?
How did I get so lucky? I run a 493 with the '509 cam, 2" TTI headers, a 2 1/2" system with NO H or X pipe, Flowmaster 42451 mufflers and tailpipes. Yeah, it throws a nice rumble but it idles nice. It cruises nice. I can carry a reasonably decent conversation at freeway speeds.

Al

exactly my experience too
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Al on June 06, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

exactly my experience too

I get no drone from my flowmasters. Its the 40 series that are loud and obnoxious.

MoparMotel

Which 40's are you guys running?

There is a few different ones, There is the Original 40, Delta 40, and Super 40.

Original 40 is the original one from 30+ years ago, These are what I have. Tin can sound and resonate in the cab about 1800rpm so loud you can barely hear your self think and rattle everything in the car. Delta 40 sound similar but don't resonate as bad. Super 40 I tried on my truck and to me it was the perfect sound- It is deeper than the original 40 and doesn't resonate nearly as bad. Also has a thicker 5" casing instead of the 4" casing on original 40's.

I added an H pipe about a year ago and that mellowed out the sound while curing a little bit of drone but not much.

I had a set of Dynomax Super Turbo's on the car before and they are a very deep sounding muffler but a little quiet. At cruising RPM 1800-2000rpm you can barely hear them but when you get on it they have a mellow deep rumble.

The next muffler I try will be a Dynomax VT, Dynomax Ultra Flow or if I decide I want something loud the Pypes Violator Muffler.

I can post a video of my original 40's if anyone is thinking of a set.
1968 Dodge Charger

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 04, 2013, 09:03:50 PM
Flowmaster makes a lot more then the "tin can" 40 series........ for a deep muscle car growl with a nice aggressive tone under hard accel yet quiet cruise that I can calmly talk to my passengers, get the 50 series suv muffler from flowmaster.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zj5kXfETBfs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6pvgS9xf9Q&feature=plpp

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gQegbFH38s8&feature=plpp

mine sounds like yours and I have a 383, flowmasters 40 also...