News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrysler refuses to issue recall

Started by JB400, June 04, 2013, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

http://news.yahoo.com/chrysler-refuses-us-request-recall-170100433.html

The NHTSA has asked Chrysler to issue a recall because if a Jeep Cherokee or Liberty gets rear ended, the fuel tanks leak and could catch fire. They want Chrysler to replace and relocate the fuel tanks in Cherokees from 93 through 04 and Liberties from 02 to 07. Chrysler has refused to do so.

Ghoste

Can they do that?  I thought the NHTSA had some legislative authority>

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on June 05, 2013, 08:08:55 AM
Can they do that?  I thought the NHTSA had some legislative authority>
They asked them to "voluntarily recall" the vehicles.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

there are alot of car out there that have gas tank problem of  blow up in rear end collisions
  all the 92 crown vics are one of them  .   

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Can you imagine the fun of having to retrofit components onto a 20 year old Grand Cherokee in the rust belt?   

Mike DC

I think the Crown Vic's rear-ending problem is mainly a product of statistics.  Police cruisers stopped on the side of the road get rear-ended at very high speeds a lot more often than any other vehicle does.

daveco

In the words of Tom Petty, "Ain't nothing guaranteed". Some cars are safer than others, some designs are better than others.
These cars met the standards in place at the time of manufacture, to retroactively raise the standard is silly.
R/Tree

ws23rt

Quote from: daveco on June 05, 2013, 06:06:24 PM
In the words of Tom Petty, "Ain't nothing guaranteed". Some cars are safer than others, some designs are better than others.
These cars met the standards in place at the time of manufacture, to retroactively raise the standard is silly.

Silly is the word. But people get hired to do a job and some have much more enthusiasm than others. It is a very large work force that whats to be our mother.

Tilar

Easy fix. Have them call Ford and get the engineering drawings for the fix for the Pinto problem where gas tanks were catching fire... Shove a piece of plastic up behind the fuel tank, That'll fix 'em!
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Mike DC

Would this recall be dismissed so quickly around here if it was happening on a Toyota Camry? 

Somehow I doubt it.

ACUDANUT

Yea, no kidding. Jap cars get more slack than our American Owned car producers

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: daveco on June 05, 2013, 06:06:24 PM

I disagree completely.  I think Chrysler needs to issue a recall on all 68 chargers with drum brakes and upgrade to 4 wheel discs for free :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Mike DC

QuoteYea, no kidding. Jap cars get more slack than our American Owned  car producers

I wasn't talking about the govt issuing the recall but rather about the reactions here on DC.com.  If the car brand was Asian, I doubt people here would brush off the issue and say the govt is being excessively nanny-ish.

1974dodgecharger

my 94 blew up in 98 but it was parked someone actually hit it parked.  it was a cherokee sport......

not literally blew up like the movies as u guys are imagining right now

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 05, 2013, 10:51:31 PM

Would this recall be dismissed so quickly around here if it was happening on a Toyota Camry? 

Somehow I doubt it.

:iagree:

That article says Chrysler has had 52 recalls in the last 3 years - but I don't see a bunch of threads detailing those.

Troy

bull

This is the first I've heard of any danger involving Jeep fuel tanks. You'd think there'd be more info on it if the problem were this extensive.

Cooter

20 years of these things on the road. NOW all of a sudden,  Chrysler needs to issue a recall on them? I think it has more to do with idiot driver's looking for Chrysler to help them be safer even if people cannot seem to keep from smashing into the rear or others not paying attention. Seems ot be happening more and more as society's mental strength continues to break down. 20 years ago, we didn't have Facebook, and texting either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

odcics2

Quote from: Troy on June 06, 2013, 03:52:43 PM

Somehow I doubt it.

That article says Chrysler has had 52 recalls in the last 3 years - but I don't see a bunch of threads detailing those.

Troy

That's because we LOVE Chrysler products on this forum and HATE, with a passion, Toyota vehicles... 

(and it wasn't "52 recalls" , but 52 incidents.)       

To anyone that doesn't like my statement, too bad!   This is DODGECHARGER.com, not "Toyotaloversanonomous"  :2thumbs:

See, I AM passionate about MoPars...   :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Troy

Quote from: odcics2 on June 07, 2013, 08:43:22 AM

Somehow I doubt it.

Troy

That's because we LOVE Chrysler products on this forum and HATE, with a passion, Toyota vehicles... 

To anyone that doesn't like my statement, too bad!   This is DODGECHARGER.com, not "Toyotaloversanonomous"  :2thumbs:

Uh, I think you read that wrong.

"We"? You're assuming that you are speaking for everyone here - and that is obviously false. I love Chargers (primarily 1968 vintage) and a tiny amount of other cars by the same brand. Just because I'm a "fan" doesn't mean I can't be critical. The problem with today's society is that everyone sticks their head in the sand when it involves their favorite team/company/politician but can't shut up when it's "the other guy". Set some high expectations and make those people/companies earn your continued support! My experience with "modern" Chrysler has been horrible. Even though I spend a crazy amount of time "fixing" my old Mopars I still love them. I won't even step into a dealer today though. That's me and my opinion. I don't speak for anyone else - but I know I'm not the only one. It's my money and I buy what makes sense to me. I don't buy something just because a different company made a car I happened to like 40 years ago.

Troy

Dino

Quote from: Troy on June 07, 2013, 09:54:36 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on June 07, 2013, 08:43:22 AM

Somehow I doubt it.

Troy

Uh, I think you read that wrong.

"We"? You're assuming that you are speaking for everyone here - and that is obviously false. I love Chargers (primarily 1968 vintage) and a tiny amount of other cars by the same brand. Just because I'm a "fan" doesn't mean I can't be critical. The problem with today's society is that everyone sticks their head in the sand when it involves their favorite team/company/politician but can't shut up when it's "the other guy". Set some high expectations and make those people/companies earn your continued support! My experience with "modern" Chrysler has been horrible. Even though I spend a crazy amount of time "fixing" my old Mopars I still love them. I won't even step into a dealer today though. That's me and my opinion. I don't speak for anyone else - but I know I'm not the only one. It's my money and I buy what makes sense to me. I don't buy something just because a different company made a car I happened to like 40 years ago.

Troy

Now how are people going to read this with their heads stuck in the sand?    :icon_smile_big:

I totally agree with your statements, you couldn't give me a modern Chrysler and would take a Toyota over a new mopar any day of the week.  Besides the Charger there's not much they made that I like anyway (although your Challenger would look real nice in my garage!).  Brand loyalty just does not make any sense here. 

Flame away!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

It's ok to be brand loyal. However, this goes WAY too far sometimes. Like with my buddy. He just had to have ANYTHING that was 'Built' by Chrysler even if it meant he put 10 trans' in his Dodge Daytona (1987 Turbo car). Couldn't understand until bout the tenth one, then he decides to get a Damn Omni Charger. WTF?

And here I got 8 years out of a 25 Y/O Subaru and sold it for $100.00 more than I paid for it with over 600K miles on it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: Cooter on June 07, 2013, 11:27:36 AM
It's ok to be brand loyal. However, this goes WAY too far sometimes. Like with my buddy. He just had to have ANYTHING that was 'Built' by Chrysler even if it meant he put 10 trans' in his Dodge Daytona (1987 Turbo car). Couldn't understand until bout the tenth one, then he decides to get a Damn Omni Charger. WTF?

And here I got 8 years out of a 25 Y/O Subaru and sold it for $100.00 more than I paid for it with over 600K miles on it.

Funny you mention that, one of my coworkers had an old worn Subaru he no longer used and when he put it up for sale he got slammed with calls and visits, he was shocked.  Car sold the first day.

I can understand brand loyalty to some degree but some people just can't see the light sometimes.

Cooter

I've seen 500 C.I. Hemi's go down to 5.3 Chevy V8's...I've seen 426 C.I. Hemi's get crushed by 331 C.I. Ford Mustang's....
I've seen 509 BBC's get Crushed by 434 Small Blocks....I've seen 318 SB Mopar's run circles round 360 magnum crate motors....

People think I'm a 'Mopar man'by my choice of cars. However, I am not brand loyal. I like the older Mopars yes, but let's not have any illusions here, I'm NOT gonna pass up a chance to own a BB Chevelle, or Camaro. or even a Ford with a 406 and triple carbs.

Bottom line? One CANNOT outrun money. Cause even if your a complete dumbass when it comes to cars, all you really have to do is go find someone to build you a badass ride and that takes Money. Brand loyalty is ok for some, but those are the ones I see with all but tears in their eyes when their beloved 426 Hemi gets it;s ass handed to it by that "little" 406 SB Chevy.  700 HP is 700 HP...Whether it's in Huge Cubic inch form, or in a small block with 50 turbos on it. Only time it becomes a problem is when brand loyal people get involved. Then, you have the "I can't believe it" Senario happening.

I've had the 5.0's, the BBC Chevelles, the Camaro's, AND the Mopars, but I've always had the best luck with finding parts for my Mopars. Plus, many times round here, the Ford and Chavy guys will screw their momma's in the name of speed. I've found Ain't too many Mopar folks round these parts and you screw over one it WILL get through the circle here that you are in it for the money.

So to buy a Complete POS brand new just because I figure I have to is ludacris to me. I work on these new Mercedes cars from Mopar. They ain't all that. And when my buddies Chrysler 300 From 1968 with 440 weighs less than a new Challenger, Something's wrong when people call it a 'Boat'...

Silver R/T

How come they didn't figure out this was a problem back when these cars were brand new and were tested in the lab? All the testing they supposedly do? Fire the engineers.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Dino

Quote from: Silver R/T on June 07, 2013, 12:17:49 PM
How come they didn't figure out this was a problem back when these cars were brand new and were tested in the lab? All the testing they supposedly do? Fire the engineers.

You assume they didn't know about it.

Mike DC

What is "safe enough"?  The goalposts keep being pushed back as time goes by. 

That was pretty straightforward back when most cars were junked within a decade of being built.  But now 20yo cars are no longer unusual in a middle-class neighborhood.  I agree that people are starting to retroactively apply modern standards to older stuff.

Steve P.

I think it is great that the American people are starting to once again demand GREAT products. But to go after 20 year old vehicles is a joke. Never before did they have a count of vehicles to call for a RECALL and I am afraid there is something more behind it today.

I am another like Troy with not buying today's mopar. They have just allowed too much below the grade for me to buy it. I need to know it will last and I can depend on it. Most of all I need comfort and capability for my disfuncional back. Mopar has some hot looking cars with plenty of power, but too many issues and lack of comfort for me.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Steve P. on June 07, 2013, 01:37:39 PM
I think it is great that the American people are starting to once again demand GREAT products. But to go after 20 year old vehicles is a joke. Never before did they have a count of vehicles to call for a RECALL and I am afraid there is something more behind it today.

I am another like Troy with not buying today's mopar. They have just allowed too much below the grade for me to buy it. I need to know it will last and I can depend on it. Most of all I need comfort and capability for my disfuncional back. Mopar has some hot looking cars with plenty of power, but too many issues and lack of comfort for me.

I agree. :cheers:

JB400

That there is the issue.  There are too many 20 year old cars on the road.  That is why these manufacturers are building crap today.  That way, they're guaranteed higher future car sales.  Throw in gov. subsidies like Cash for Clunkers, we'll all be stuck driving new crap that gets 50 mpg but falls apart in 5 years.

ACUDANUT

I don't know. My last new car buy was a 2001 Blazer. I got 300k miles out of it (all original).  It was a good SUV.  I bought a new 2012 Ford F-150 last year and hope to wear it out too  :cheers:

Mike DC

Crap gets built because people keep buying it.  It's nothing more sinister or farsighted than that. 

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 07, 2013, 04:05:16 PM

Crap gets built because people keep buying it.  It's nothing more sinister or farsighted than that. 

You're a smart and sober man Mike, would love to meet you some day.  As I do many others btw, this is quite the place.

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 07, 2013, 04:05:16 PM

Crap gets built because people keep buying it.  It's nothing more sinister or farsighted than that.  

I been saying that for years now. Too many people are willing to settle for whatever's put in front of them and they are happy if it does ONE thing for them.

WAY too many say their "Dream car" is my GL, or Christine, or whatever, but once I ask them if they are ready for the Uber hot days without A/C, NO NAV system, NO creature comforts of any kind, they look at me like I'm crazy. That's the way it was back then. These early musclecars weren't for some candy ass riding around with every gaget known to mankind. You had to DRIVE these cars. Today, A new Challenger gets people killed because at 125 MPH, you will fall asleep it's so smooth. Try that  with one of these cars with suspension from 1960's. I bet you couldn't get a needle up their ass it would be so tight. People have become complacent nowadays. They think the cars are so smart they will tell you everything. They do not. Relying on technology is stupid. Trusting it to do the job most of the time is smart. Too many today rely on it.

Steve P.

MIKE DC hits it on the nose, but I would take it a step beyond that and say: Because we stopped fighting for better. We stopped picketing and striking and telling big business that we would NOT buy their shit. And we accepted the crap coming into the country that was absolutely throw away crap...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69wannabe

I'm not fortunate enough to afford a new car but if I was it would probably be a ford product. I have several of the jeeps mentioned in this recall, two 98 grands, a 93 grand and a 04 grand. Only two are mine and the other two are the wife and daughters. They are modern mopar but have for the most part been good vehicles. The 4.0 six's are durable and long lasting engines. Of course they quit making them certain engines I figure cause they were too good. All the older cars that I have put gas tanks in from chevy's to mopar's have the gas tanks in the very back of the car too but they were steel and not plastic tanks tho... My mom has a Toyota tacoma that has been a very good vehicle and purchased a Rav 4 that only had 40,000 miles on it with a year warranty left on it and she brought it to me the first day she bought for me to drive. She said it had a whine to it. Drove it and yes there was differential noise in it which is in the transmission on this vehicle. Took it back next day and tried to let them have it back but nope, it was a done deal. So ok its under warranty just fix it, nope that was too  expensive and the tranny wasn't completely out of it. Hired a lawyer and fought with them for two months with no luck. Finally I stuck it on craigslist and sold it. I hated to but my mom is in her 70's and didn't deserve to be crapped on by this car company. I passed that POS to someone else and that is the end of Toyota's for this family. My parents always pay their way and live right and didn't deserve what a problem Toyota gave them. It was a pretty car too. If they would have fixed it she would still be driving it. Lesson learned I guess. We got rid of that junk and she went and bought her a new Lincoln MKZ. Talk about a nice vehicle and so far super nice folks to deal with.

Ghoste

They all make vehicles with faults and they all try to avoid the expense of fixing if they can and fans of a brand will defend them.

Mike DC

Steve, Dino, Cooter, thanks for the compliments.  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Many times with used vehicles (Especially since all those 'floaters' will be hitting the markets/auction blocks soon from Jersey/New York/etc.), People figure that Aftermarket 'Extended' warranties will cover what the factory warranties did. This isn't the case. Many times, those 'extended' warranties are not worth the paper they are written on, and IF one does get a 'good' warranty that will actually pay for 'some' repairs, it takes the shop/dealer about 3 months  and numerous attempts to get paid. Some even want to see the old part, have their guy/guys/shops/etc. 'inspect' it to see if actually bad, want the shop to pull just ONE cylinder head if blown head gasket on a V style engine. WTF? Nobody installs just ONE head gasket when doing a V6/V8/V10 etc. engine. But, that's the way some of these companies expect people to operate.
Of course, all this goes out the window if that little box that says "As is, no warranty" is checked and you sign the line anyway.

Ghoste

For sure.  Those aftermarket warranties are really just repair insurance and like any insurance policy their goal is to never have to pay out. 

ACUDANUT

Heck even the original warranty is tough, to get something fixed.

Silver R/T

I'm a member of another forum, Lexus forum. There is an owner who thinks NHTSA should make Lexus recall 90s Lexus cause his gauge cluster lights went out. Just shows you how many idiots are out there. People are not willing to work out simple problems with their cars, just way too lazy and want everything given to them on a plate.
Every car has problems, some more than others.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

QuoteI'm a member of another forum, Lexus forum. There is an owner who thinks NHTSA should make Lexus recall 90s Lexus cause his gauge cluster lights went out. Just shows you how many idiots are out there. People are not willing to work out simple problems with their cars, just way too lazy and want everything given to them on a plate.
Every car has problems, some more than others.

There's the problem.  

69wannabe

I completely understand the whole warranty from these car lots and fly by night car places. The thing about the Rav4 is they bought it used from the Toyota dealership and it supposedly had a year of the factory warranty left or up to 60,000 miles which it only had 42,000 miles on it. I feel like they should've fixed this vehicle or offered them a trade or something to make it right but nope, they told her it was a done deal and it was between her and the bank now. The dealership in mention is Riverside Toyota in Rome Georgia and the salesman told her to just go trade it for a ford or a dodge since the same guy own's the chevy place he didn't say go trade it for a chevy. Not complaining bout the brand but the people that run the riverside dealerships are crooks!!!! The Tacoma that they bought from the same dealership in 02 has been a great truck and it hasn't gave any trouble. My mom and dad are in their late 70's and I feel like this could've been handled better other than them taking advantage of older folks. They were trying to dump that vehicle on anyboby they could to get away from it to keep from having to fix it. It's just sad these days that everywhere you turn someone is trying to burn you.

JB400

Here's a little more info on the story plus some of Chryslers' arguments against the recall

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/page/8

DC_1

Allpar

"In other news, NHTSA administrator David Strickland was quoted by Detroit News as saying that the Jeep recall request was about "seeking the truth," and seemed to be backing off of the recall demand. He said owners of the older Jeeps (1993-2004 Grand Cherokee and 2002-2007 Liberty) could make their own choices.  He did say he believed the cars had an "unreasonable risk," and said there had been 51 deaths from 32 crashes so far. Chrysler has been working with NHTSA on this investigation since 2010.

Two years ago, Ford fought an NHTSA request over F-150 trucks whose airbags, NHTSA said, could inflate without warning and cause accidents. The media coverage of that event was far smaller"

1974dodgecharger

so the tank sits behind the rear axle is the reason for the recall.......

Cooter

So does any Dodge Charger 1st,2nd,or 3rd Gen....Wonder if we can get a recall as well. Oh wait, that wouldn't be prudent now would it?

Ghoste

Well, I'm seeing reports now that Chrysler is going to voluntarily perform the campaign.

JB400

According to Allpar, that's what it seems like.  http://www.allpar.com/news/ 

It seems that they are just doing an inspection.  If reinforcements need to be made, they'll do it, but only on models 04 and newer.  The older Jeeps will get fixed at owners expense.

Ghoste

That's basically the same thing.  I think the only difference is that in the original recall sought by the safety folks they wanted them all replaced no matter what and Chryslers compromise is to just do the ones that need it.

F8-4life

Yikes. Here in ohio if you want to retro-fit a 90's jeep you will get a eye-full of rustchips in the eye for your effort.

resq302

you wont if you're wearing safely glasses like you were taught!   :icon_smile_cool:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

F8-4life

Yep those ohio rust-chips taught me about goggles early on!

Ghoste

I don't think I'd know what its like to crawl out from under an old car that was sold new around here and not have crusty chunks in my hair.

Troy

They are either adding or replacing the trailer hitch - not moving the tank or otherwise fixing the location. Instead of caving in the back of the car and dumping gasoline it will now just transfer the force of impact to the driver.

Troy

Ghoste

Steve P.

Some years back this was done on another vehicle. I am not sure, but think it was on Bronco's. not sure now..  :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste