News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrysler refuses to issue recall

Started by JB400, June 04, 2013, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

http://news.yahoo.com/chrysler-refuses-us-request-recall-170100433.html

The NHTSA has asked Chrysler to issue a recall because if a Jeep Cherokee or Liberty gets rear ended, the fuel tanks leak and could catch fire. They want Chrysler to replace and relocate the fuel tanks in Cherokees from 93 through 04 and Liberties from 02 to 07. Chrysler has refused to do so.

Ghoste

Can they do that?  I thought the NHTSA had some legislative authority>

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on June 05, 2013, 08:08:55 AM
Can they do that?  I thought the NHTSA had some legislative authority>
They asked them to "voluntarily recall" the vehicles.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

there are alot of car out there that have gas tank problem of  blow up in rear end collisions
  all the 92 crown vics are one of them  .   

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Can you imagine the fun of having to retrofit components onto a 20 year old Grand Cherokee in the rust belt?   

Mike DC

I think the Crown Vic's rear-ending problem is mainly a product of statistics.  Police cruisers stopped on the side of the road get rear-ended at very high speeds a lot more often than any other vehicle does.

daveco

In the words of Tom Petty, "Ain't nothing guaranteed". Some cars are safer than others, some designs are better than others.
These cars met the standards in place at the time of manufacture, to retroactively raise the standard is silly.
R/Tree

ws23rt

Quote from: daveco on June 05, 2013, 06:06:24 PM
In the words of Tom Petty, "Ain't nothing guaranteed". Some cars are safer than others, some designs are better than others.
These cars met the standards in place at the time of manufacture, to retroactively raise the standard is silly.

Silly is the word. But people get hired to do a job and some have much more enthusiasm than others. It is a very large work force that whats to be our mother.

Tilar

Easy fix. Have them call Ford and get the engineering drawings for the fix for the Pinto problem where gas tanks were catching fire... Shove a piece of plastic up behind the fuel tank, That'll fix 'em!
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Mike DC

Would this recall be dismissed so quickly around here if it was happening on a Toyota Camry? 

Somehow I doubt it.

ACUDANUT

Yea, no kidding. Jap cars get more slack than our American Owned car producers

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: daveco on June 05, 2013, 06:06:24 PM

I disagree completely.  I think Chrysler needs to issue a recall on all 68 chargers with drum brakes and upgrade to 4 wheel discs for free :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Mike DC

QuoteYea, no kidding. Jap cars get more slack than our American Owned  car producers

I wasn't talking about the govt issuing the recall but rather about the reactions here on DC.com.  If the car brand was Asian, I doubt people here would brush off the issue and say the govt is being excessively nanny-ish.

1974dodgecharger

my 94 blew up in 98 but it was parked someone actually hit it parked.  it was a cherokee sport......

not literally blew up like the movies as u guys are imagining right now

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 05, 2013, 10:51:31 PM

Would this recall be dismissed so quickly around here if it was happening on a Toyota Camry? 

Somehow I doubt it.

:iagree:

That article says Chrysler has had 52 recalls in the last 3 years - but I don't see a bunch of threads detailing those.

Troy

bull

This is the first I've heard of any danger involving Jeep fuel tanks. You'd think there'd be more info on it if the problem were this extensive.

Cooter

20 years of these things on the road. NOW all of a sudden,  Chrysler needs to issue a recall on them? I think it has more to do with idiot driver's looking for Chrysler to help them be safer even if people cannot seem to keep from smashing into the rear or others not paying attention. Seems ot be happening more and more as society's mental strength continues to break down. 20 years ago, we didn't have Facebook, and texting either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

odcics2

Quote from: Troy on June 06, 2013, 03:52:43 PM

Somehow I doubt it.

That article says Chrysler has had 52 recalls in the last 3 years - but I don't see a bunch of threads detailing those.

Troy

That's because we LOVE Chrysler products on this forum and HATE, with a passion, Toyota vehicles... 

(and it wasn't "52 recalls" , but 52 incidents.)       

To anyone that doesn't like my statement, too bad!   This is DODGECHARGER.com, not "Toyotaloversanonomous"  :2thumbs:

See, I AM passionate about MoPars...   :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Troy

Quote from: odcics2 on June 07, 2013, 08:43:22 AM

Somehow I doubt it.

Troy

That's because we LOVE Chrysler products on this forum and HATE, with a passion, Toyota vehicles... 

To anyone that doesn't like my statement, too bad!   This is DODGECHARGER.com, not "Toyotaloversanonomous"  :2thumbs:

Uh, I think you read that wrong.

"We"? You're assuming that you are speaking for everyone here - and that is obviously false. I love Chargers (primarily 1968 vintage) and a tiny amount of other cars by the same brand. Just because I'm a "fan" doesn't mean I can't be critical. The problem with today's society is that everyone sticks their head in the sand when it involves their favorite team/company/politician but can't shut up when it's "the other guy". Set some high expectations and make those people/companies earn your continued support! My experience with "modern" Chrysler has been horrible. Even though I spend a crazy amount of time "fixing" my old Mopars I still love them. I won't even step into a dealer today though. That's me and my opinion. I don't speak for anyone else - but I know I'm not the only one. It's my money and I buy what makes sense to me. I don't buy something just because a different company made a car I happened to like 40 years ago.

Troy

Dino

Quote from: Troy on June 07, 2013, 09:54:36 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on June 07, 2013, 08:43:22 AM

Somehow I doubt it.

Troy

Uh, I think you read that wrong.

"We"? You're assuming that you are speaking for everyone here - and that is obviously false. I love Chargers (primarily 1968 vintage) and a tiny amount of other cars by the same brand. Just because I'm a "fan" doesn't mean I can't be critical. The problem with today's society is that everyone sticks their head in the sand when it involves their favorite team/company/politician but can't shut up when it's "the other guy". Set some high expectations and make those people/companies earn your continued support! My experience with "modern" Chrysler has been horrible. Even though I spend a crazy amount of time "fixing" my old Mopars I still love them. I won't even step into a dealer today though. That's me and my opinion. I don't speak for anyone else - but I know I'm not the only one. It's my money and I buy what makes sense to me. I don't buy something just because a different company made a car I happened to like 40 years ago.

Troy

Now how are people going to read this with their heads stuck in the sand?    :icon_smile_big:

I totally agree with your statements, you couldn't give me a modern Chrysler and would take a Toyota over a new mopar any day of the week.  Besides the Charger there's not much they made that I like anyway (although your Challenger would look real nice in my garage!).  Brand loyalty just does not make any sense here. 

Flame away!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

It's ok to be brand loyal. However, this goes WAY too far sometimes. Like with my buddy. He just had to have ANYTHING that was 'Built' by Chrysler even if it meant he put 10 trans' in his Dodge Daytona (1987 Turbo car). Couldn't understand until bout the tenth one, then he decides to get a Damn Omni Charger. WTF?

And here I got 8 years out of a 25 Y/O Subaru and sold it for $100.00 more than I paid for it with over 600K miles on it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: Cooter on June 07, 2013, 11:27:36 AM
It's ok to be brand loyal. However, this goes WAY too far sometimes. Like with my buddy. He just had to have ANYTHING that was 'Built' by Chrysler even if it meant he put 10 trans' in his Dodge Daytona (1987 Turbo car). Couldn't understand until bout the tenth one, then he decides to get a Damn Omni Charger. WTF?

And here I got 8 years out of a 25 Y/O Subaru and sold it for $100.00 more than I paid for it with over 600K miles on it.

Funny you mention that, one of my coworkers had an old worn Subaru he no longer used and when he put it up for sale he got slammed with calls and visits, he was shocked.  Car sold the first day.

I can understand brand loyalty to some degree but some people just can't see the light sometimes.

Cooter

I've seen 500 C.I. Hemi's go down to 5.3 Chevy V8's...I've seen 426 C.I. Hemi's get crushed by 331 C.I. Ford Mustang's....
I've seen 509 BBC's get Crushed by 434 Small Blocks....I've seen 318 SB Mopar's run circles round 360 magnum crate motors....

People think I'm a 'Mopar man'by my choice of cars. However, I am not brand loyal. I like the older Mopars yes, but let's not have any illusions here, I'm NOT gonna pass up a chance to own a BB Chevelle, or Camaro. or even a Ford with a 406 and triple carbs.

Bottom line? One CANNOT outrun money. Cause even if your a complete dumbass when it comes to cars, all you really have to do is go find someone to build you a badass ride and that takes Money. Brand loyalty is ok for some, but those are the ones I see with all but tears in their eyes when their beloved 426 Hemi gets it;s ass handed to it by that "little" 406 SB Chevy.  700 HP is 700 HP...Whether it's in Huge Cubic inch form, or in a small block with 50 turbos on it. Only time it becomes a problem is when brand loyal people get involved. Then, you have the "I can't believe it" Senario happening.

I've had the 5.0's, the BBC Chevelles, the Camaro's, AND the Mopars, but I've always had the best luck with finding parts for my Mopars. Plus, many times round here, the Ford and Chavy guys will screw their momma's in the name of speed. I've found Ain't too many Mopar folks round these parts and you screw over one it WILL get through the circle here that you are in it for the money.

So to buy a Complete POS brand new just because I figure I have to is ludacris to me. I work on these new Mercedes cars from Mopar. They ain't all that. And when my buddies Chrysler 300 From 1968 with 440 weighs less than a new Challenger, Something's wrong when people call it a 'Boat'...

Silver R/T

How come they didn't figure out this was a problem back when these cars were brand new and were tested in the lab? All the testing they supposedly do? Fire the engineers.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Dino

Quote from: Silver R/T on June 07, 2013, 12:17:49 PM
How come they didn't figure out this was a problem back when these cars were brand new and were tested in the lab? All the testing they supposedly do? Fire the engineers.

You assume they didn't know about it.