News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New voltage regulator. Retain capacitor?

Started by K9COP, June 06, 2013, 01:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

Guys, quick question. I bought the 'plug and play ' voltage regulator in the hope of curing my fuel gauge etc. While looking for a new circuit board for my cluster on Ebay, I found this cluster for sale:

It has the regulator AND the capacitor still fitted. Is that correct? My car only had the capacitor (? cylinder shaped thing with one wire) before I bought the regulator. Now it just has the regulator. Car's not back together yet.

Thanks,

CS
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

resq302

If you have a one of the solid state voltage limiters, you can do away with the condenser on the back of the instrument cluster. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

K9COP

That's what I figured, thank you. Was confused why the one on Ebay had both...

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

resq302

You can leave it there but since the new unit is a solid state one, there is really no need for the capacitor to supress any electrical noise.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

K9COP

Thanks guys. I already found the circuit board listed on Ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Rallye-Dash-Cluster-CIRCUIT-BOARD-68-70-B-Body-NEW-PDD-028-/370797060147?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969|Make%3ADodge|Model%3ACharger&hash=item56553a2033&vxp=mtr

But judging from the part number, it's the same part anyways.

Not sure I love how loose the solid state regulator fits. Solder it? Or did the guy with the ebay cluster leave the condenser (not capacitor, sorry...) on there to jam the regulator in tighter?

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

jlatessa

You can tighten the females from the back with a small needlenose to get more tension
then solder them in front to the board to get the best connection.

Joe

P. S. And the five posts too as they're only mechanically clinched.

K9COP

Thanks Joe. I tightened up the females for the voltage regulator from the back of the board, but please read carefully my thread on almost torching the car having followed the advice to solder the back of the pins. A cautionary tale for sure. I now have TWO completely toasted wires in the loom to replace....., but still have the car to replace them on, so I was lucky.

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

jlatessa

No doubt Cayman, too much of a good thing is not always better.

It's important to stop as soon as you see the solder wick in.

After you had your problems the first thing I did was to check my job,
luckily the panel was still sitting on my workbench and all was well.

Good warning though!!

Thanks,  Joe

K9COP

You're welcome brother. Another car saved, that's why we're here.  :2thumbs:

Gotta change that user name... stupid f'ing place..... :flame:

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

nickm

Hey Guys, I'm currently rebuilding my cluster, and had a view questions regarding K9COP's photo.

1) What are the three black "plugs" on the back side of the circuit board in that photo?  Where to buy?

2)  What is the off white bracket connected to the light switch?  Is this for the vacuum lines to the head lamps?  Where to buy?

Thanks

K9COP

Hey mate, welcome to the forum. The three black plugs, IIRC, are just bulb holders. I suspect they're a generic dodge part but probably other cars that use those bulbs use them. They're just a 'push and twist' bayonet fit bulb holder.

If you mean the off-white bracket with the three holes in, then yes, that's the vacuum distributor for the headlamp doors on '68 or '69 Chargers. Where to buy?
It's integral with the headlight switch. Any of the usual suspects sell them. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-68-69-Charger-Daytona-Headlight-Vacuum-Switch-NEW-/360417061952?hash=item53ea87ec40&vxp=mtr

Never seen just the vacuum part before, or this full switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1968-69-Charger-1969-Daytona-1970-Superbird-Headlight-Switch-/400928490774?fits=Year%3A1969|Make%3ADodge|Model%3ACharger&hash=item5d59334516&vxp=mtr

May as well buy the whole thing..... :yesnod:

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

nickm

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the help; this forum has been a great resource  :2thumbs:

My local Dodge dealer (North County SD) told me they cannot lookup part numbers for a '69.  Does anyone know the part number for the "bayonet fit bulb holder"?

Thanks!

-  Nick

K9COP

Quote from: nickm on June 11, 2015, 01:57:15 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the help; this forum has been a great resource  :2thumbs:

My local Dodge dealer (North County SD) told me they cannot lookup part numbers for a '69.  Does anyone know the part number for the "bayonet fit bulb holder"?

Thanks!

-  Nick

Here you go bud:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/131530740161?nav=SEARCH

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Along this same line of conversation, I am trying to make my fuel gauge work. If I ground the pin on the gauge that the tank ground connects to I get a full tank reading so I know the gauge is good and it's getting 5 volts from the limiter. Next I went to the tank and pulled the sender wire and grounded it and got nothing at the gauge. That tells me there is a problem in the wire between the tank and the gauge. Next I pulled the kick panel off and pulled the connector apart and grounded the side going to the gauge and got a full tank reading. So I put my ohm meter on the wire at the tank and at the connector and get a .5 resistance reading which is only .1 more than a direct connection of the ohm probes. Is that enough to indicate a problem in that wire? 

K9COP

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Just ran a ground wire from the battery to the tank end of the gauge wire and I got a full tank reading. That tells me that the brand new sending unit in the brand new tank with 10 gallons of brand new gas has to come out. :eek2:

K9COP

Do a few burnouts, put the front wheels on ramps, you'll be fine.... :2thumbs: probably....

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Does anyone know if you can pull the sender out without dropping the tank? It doesn't look like there's enough room.

Charger-Bodie

Jack up the body or let the rear axle hang and it helps a lot. Pretty much the only way to make it happen with a dana60 rear. Not near as bad with an 8 3/4.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Easier with an 8 3/4 but yes do yourself a favor and put stands under the frame and lower the axle.  Soooo much easier.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69dc

Thanks for the tip. Lowered the axle and pulled the sender out. Now for the puzzle. I bench tested the sender and I get 94 ohm when the float is in the empty position and 12.4 when it is full. So I attached a ground wire to the sender directly from the negative battery cable and reconnected the sender wire to the sender and I get nothing at the gauge. But if I ground the sender wire at the tank end the gauge reads full. What am I missing here?

K9COP

"Thanks for the tip. Lowered the axle and pulled the sender out. Now for the puzzle. I bench tested the sender and I get 94 ohm when the float is in the empty position and 12.4 when it is full. So I attached a ground wire to the sender directly from the negative battery cable and reconnected the sender wire to the sender and I get nothing at the gauge. But if I ground the sender wire at the tank end the gauge reads full. What am I missing here?"

I'm not trying to be a d*ck (sometimes it just comes naturally to us cops) but the battery was connected at the time, right? 'cos that's not how it reads...

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Yes both battery cables were connected at the time I tested the sender. I was a cop too so dick away all you want, I can take it.

Dino

The sender wire goes straight to the fuel gauge so when you ground the wire the gauge will read full.  That part is normal.

So your gauge does nothing when you have the sender hooked up to the fuel gauge wire and ground?

94 is way high as well, but don't focus too much on the numbers.  When I calibrated my fuel gauge I did it with the sender out of the car.  I calculated the midpoint of the float arm travel and set the gauge to read half.  I then tweaked to have it read just passed full with a full tank.  A reading of a quarter full means I have about 5 gallons left.

Do it this way and your gauge will be properly calibrated for your sending unit.

K9COP

Quote from: 69dc on June 17, 2015, 06:15:02 PM
Yes both battery cables were connected at the time I tested the sender. I was a cop too so dick away all you want, I can take it.

:2thumbs: Nice job brother!

I'm a little confused but I think you're saying that with the correct connections (ground on sender to battery -ve and 'signal' on sender to gauge) you get nothing, but with 'signal' wire that would be on the sender connected to ground at the sender end, you get a 'full tank'.

My interpretation from that is a break in your temporary ground wire. Have you tried straight to the frame for the sender unit ground terminal?

Stay safe,

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Pete in NH

Hi 69DC and welcome to the group.

I just saw this thread and the issue you are having with your fuel gauge. In a Chrysler gauge system 10 ohms at the sender = full, 24 ohms = mid scale and 73 ohms = low or empty. All gauges and senders use these numbers, fuel, oil pressure and temperature gauges.

Your new fuel tank sender will be a bit off with 94 ohms but almost all these reproduction senders are not quite on specification. From your description and measurements it seems the sending unit is working and you have an open ground path. Many Chrysler products have a metal  strap that bridges the rubber fuel line from the tank to the metal 5/16" fuel line to provide a ground to the sending unit. The gauge will not work without this ground. You can use your ohm meter to check and make sure the sending unit is grounded when installed in the tank. Also, be careful grounding the sending wire to the fuel gauge, you can damage the gauge.

69dc

Thanks for the input Pete. When I run a separate new ground wire from the battery to the sending unit it should eliminate an open ground as the problem shouldn't it? It looks to me like I am completing a circuit by plugging the sender wire into the sending unit and grounding it to the battery?

Pete in NH

Quote from: 69dc on June 18, 2015, 09:20:47 AM
Thanks for the input Pete. When I run a separate new ground wire from the battery to the sending unit it should eliminate an open ground as the problem shouldn't it? It looks to me like I am completing a circuit by plugging the sender wire into the sending unit and grounding it to the battery?
[/quot

Yes, with that separate ground wire back to the battery you should have completed the circuit. Yet, as I understand it the gauge still doesn't work. If the sender is installed in the tank it still may not be grounded by grounding the tank itself. The rubber gasket may be isolating the sender from the tank electrically, even though you would think the lock ring would connect it. That is why Chrysler used the grounding strap between the fuel outlet on the sender to the fuel line to make sure the sender itself was grounded. I can't help but think a few minutes with an ohm meter would find the problem.

69dc

I ordered a new sending unit and when it arrived it was the wrong one. No return line on it. So I reinstalled my old sending unit and bought a Mopar ground strap for it. Connected it from the 3/8 outlet tube on the sender to the metal fuel line and still no gauge readings. If I connect my ohm meter from the outlet spud on the sending unit and the other probe to the ground I get a reading of 28 ohm which would be about right for the fuel that's in the tank. So I'm confident the sending unit is working. What still doesn't make sense to me is why the gauge works if I ground the sending unit wire at the tank end and get a full tank reading.

poppa

I too have a post on the fuel gauge thing  :brickwall:  :brickwall:. Not trying to steal your post but this is really p_ssing me off. Bought 2 sending unit made by different manufacturers. Hooked up to gauge wire and one went to 7/8 of a tank other to 3/4. Stuck the 7/8 one in (thinking it's as good as it's gonna get) and low and behold ....it only goes to 3/8. Did the gauge test ,goes to full. How ,exactly , do you calibrate these evil things from hell????  :RantExplode: :brickwall: :flame: :mad: :pullinghair: :horse:
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Dino

More resistance equals a lower reading on the gauge, less resistance equals a higher reading.  When there is no resistance there's nothing stopping the needle from going to the full mark, or beyond depending on calibration.  When you ground the sender wire, you remove the resistance and the gauge reads full.

The real question is, why does the gauge not work properly when obviously both the sending unit and wire are operational?  I don't suppose you're up for removing the fuel gauge?  It would make this a lot easier, not to mention you'll be able t calibrate that gauge to read spot on.  I took my time doing this and my gauge reads accurate to the gallon.

Dino

Quote from: poppa on June 29, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
I too have a post on the fuel gauge thing  :brickwall:  :brickwall:. Not trying to steal your post but this is really p_ssing me off. Bought 2 sending unit made by different manufacturers. Hooked up to gauge wire and one went to 7/8 of a tank other to 3/4. Stuck the 7/8 one in (thinking it's as good as it's gonna get) and low and behold ....it only goes to 3/8. Did the gauge test ,goes to full. How ,exactly , do you calibrate these evil things from hell????  :RantExplode: :brickwall: :flame: :mad: :pullinghair: :horse:

Poppa there are two small holes in the back of the gauge.  Inside are two toothed cams that move the base position of the needle.  By inserting a small screwdriver in one of the holes, you grab the cam's teeth and force the needle one way.  The other cam moves the needle the other way.  You can use resistors to calibrate but I used the sender itself on a bench.  I calculated the mid point of the float arm and calibrated the gauge to read half.  Then I lowered the float arm and tweaked the needle to read empty.  Then I moved the float arm up and the needle read just under full.  Now you adjust each cam until the needle is where it needs to be.  Turned out that because of the design, at mid level the needle would be slightly to the right, and I mean slightly.  A full tank should also give you a reading beyond full and an empty tank beyond empty.

poppa

Dino , I take it you make the adjustment with the power on?? I may drop my steering column and attempt this as I invested in an electronic voltage limiter and may be able to just move my cluster some??? Need to get to this tomorrow as I will find out the results of my mri Tuesday and am past being hopeful. Possible rotator cuff. They have been screwing around with this since it happened the middle of May. Thanks for all the help!

69dc

Where did you buy your voltage limiter?

Dino

Quote from: poppa on July 04, 2015, 07:56:10 PM
Dino , I take it you make the adjustment with the power on?? I may drop my steering column and attempt this as I invested in an electronic voltage limiter and may be able to just move my cluster some??? Need to get to this tomorrow as I will find out the results of my mri Tuesday and am past being hopeful. Possible rotator cuff. They have been screwing around with this since it happened the middle of May. Thanks for all the help!

Poppa I'm in health care, shoot me a pm if you want to talk about your issues, I may be able to help.

Yes you need power to the cluster.  Is the electronic limiter a stand alone unit?  I used the actual voltage limiter to test mine, seeing that it was the one that would actually power the gauges.  Either way will work.  You could measure the output on the limiter you have in the cluster and match it with the stand alone.  And as long as the readings are close, the gauges will calibrate fine.

You could put power to the gauge with it still in the car, but you won't be able to calibrate it unless you remove the gauge.  Honestly, once the column is dropped it won't take much to remove the whole cluster.  But I understand you don't want to go there, I'm not a fan of it either!

poppa

69dc , I got mine through Mega Parts. I think they are made by Charger Specialties. A lot of places have them (on the internet).

Dino , I will pm you later. We are at our camper and it's like I have dial up again. Thanks

69dc

Thanks, I have one coming. I think the one I got from Autozone is the old style and it is working erratically.

69dc

Well that didn't fix my problem. It did make the oil pressure gauge more stable. Before the needle bobbed around quite a bit, now it's steady. But still no temp or fuel gauge readings.

Dino

Quote from: 69dc on July 09, 2015, 05:51:05 PM
Well that didn't fix my problem. It did make the oil pressure gauge more stable. Before the needle bobbed around quite a bit, now it's steady. But still no temp or fuel gauge readings.

Have you checked for continuity on the circuit board?  I learned that it's a good idea to solder the pins to the board, even when they feel tight.  It solved all my cluster issues, and there were a few.    :yesnod:

69dc

I just spent a few minutes under the dash with my voltage meter. I learned that I have about 5 volts on all four pins of the two gauges, the temp and fuel. What does that tell us?

resq302

5 volts is what you are supposed to have with those gauges.
Brian

69dc

5 volts on both terminals of the same gauge? I can understand the 5 volts on one leg but not on the leg that the sending wire connects to. Am I wrong? I pulled the cluster out again because I can't find a reason why the temp and fuel gauges don't work.  How can I test the gauges while they are on the bench?

resq302

each of the gauges should be getting 5 volts and the resistance of the sending units is what makes the gauge work and completes the circuit.
Brian

Pete in NH

Quote from: 69dc on July 12, 2015, 01:35:28 PM
I just spent a few minutes under the dash with my voltage meter. I learned that I have about 5 volts on all four pins of the two gauges, the temp and fuel. What does that tell us?

Hi,

That would tell me that you don't have the sending units connected to the gauges. If you did you would see 5volts on one gauge pin and something lower on the other. Do you have a factory service manual for your car? You will find information on how to test the gauges in the manual. You can use some fixed resistors in place of the Chrysler test set in the manual. also, look though the instrument restoration thread at the top of this electrical section on testing the gauges and how they work. I suspect you have some open connections somewhere and wiring diagrams will be needed to track them down.

69dc

When I tested the gauges they were installed in the car with the sender wire connected and the key on. I got 5 volt readings on both pins of the temp gauge and the fuel gauge.

Pete in NH

But, the question remains- are the sending units electrically connected to the gauges? And, are the sending units all grounded properly. 5 volts on both sides of the gauges tell me all the gauges have no current flow through them. As a test, take the temperature sending wire off the sender and quickly touch the inner metal connector to ground. The gauge should start to move quickly toward hot. Don't do more than just briefly touch the wire to ground or you could damage the gauge if things are working. If  the gauge doesn't move something is not connected or the gauge is bad.

69dc

You'd have to go back in this thread to read everything I have done to test these gauges, including testing the sending wire from the tank to the gauge and getting a full reading. I also tested the temp gauge by grounding the sending wire and got a full Hot reading. The temp sender is grounded by the engine block and the fuel sender is grounded by a new Mopar ground strap on the fuel lines.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Pete in NH

Quote from: 69dc on July 18, 2015, 05:12:13 AM
You'd have to go back in this thread to read everything I have done to test these gauges, including testing the sending wire from the tank to the gauge and getting a full reading. I also tested the temp gauge by grounding the sending wire and got a full Hot reading. The temp sender is grounded by the engine block and the fuel sender is grounded by a new Mopar ground strap on the fuel lines.

I still think there are missing grounds. Try taking your ohm meter and measuring between the brass shell on the temperature sensor and the center pin. If the engine is cold the reading may be around 100 ohms or higher. Now try between the center pin on the sensor and a good ground point on the engine block, you should get the same ohm reading. I wonder if perhaps the thread sealer on the temperature sender such as Teflon tape may be insulating the brass shell of the sender from the engine block.

69dc

With the ohm meter set on the 200 scale I get .4 ohm between the sender brass shell and engine ground. From sender shell to center pin I get no reading.

Pete in NH

Okay, the shell is grounded to the engine block but, that open reading from the center pin to the shell means the sensor itself is no good and needs to be replaced. Try repeating the test with the meter leads reversed, if you still get no reading replace the sensor.