News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Window Moulding?

Started by Purple Haze, February 25, 2006, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Haze

When I bought the car the window moldings were off. So I installed the moldings, but didn't like the way the rear window ones were sitting. I don't have any sealants other than the butyl tape under the glass and I've marked the location of the clips with masking tape. The moldings snaped in tight in some places, but I have a couple of problem areas. It appears that it won't snap down because it's hanging up at one of the bottom spacers. So I need to take the moldings off, without bending them and clean this area up little bit better.

What is the best way to remove the rear window outside trim moulding? I bought the trim removal tool from Year One, but either its the wrong tool or I don't know how to use it :shruggy:.

KD 2037

Any help? I tried searching but didn't find a thread on this.

Bob E
Plum Crazy, 440 Six Pack, 4 speed hemi, 4.10 Dana Super Grip
My Lucky Story
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=268&highlight=#268

58pwrwgn

I haven't seen a tool like that for removing the molding. This is the one I use. You slip it under the molding and pry the clip away from the body thereby releasing the molding. Just don't pry against the glass or you will break it.

The tool you have almost looks like it slips between the molding and the top of the clip and you pry back?

58pwrwgn

58pwrwgn

58pwrwgn

Purple Haze

Thanks 58....your photos are great.  As soon I pick up a tool like above, I'll let you know how successful I was.

Bob E
Plum Crazy, 440 Six Pack, 4 speed hemi, 4.10 Dana Super Grip
My Lucky Story
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=268&highlight=#268

58pwrwgn

Just be careful that you don't pry against the glass. The glass may not be installed square in the opening, such that you may have alot of room on one side to pry the clip back but not the other.

MadScientist

Where do you get a tool like that and is it the same for the front?

MS

mikepmcs

should be avail in any auto parts store like pepboys, western, auto zone.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MadScientist

I actually might have that in my garage then. I bought a trim removal tool kit last fall and havent looked closely at it yet, although I dont remember having the one that looked like an arrow in there.
thanks

MS

MadScientist

So Ive got the tool now, but the question I have  is where to start on the windshield?  Take the bottom off first, drivers side, etc?  I assume you always work from the glass side of the trim, based on the pic.  Im not concerned about the glass as it is being replaced.

Thanks

MS