News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 69 year old penny

Started by Paul G, July 05, 2013, 05:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Pulled a 1944 wheat back penny out of my pocket today. Is it something to stash away? Or just put back in my pocket?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

JB400

If you're a collector, keep it.  If not, spend it.  Personally, I'd keep it just for the nostalgia

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

69rtse4spd

Yep keep it, hey the thousand post mark. do I win anything.  :lol:.

A383Wing

you can have Paul's penny...

or this

69rtse4spd

I'll take the penny, class two diabetic. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Tell your wife/girlfriend that a 69 year old penny is a sign of something to do later on.

burnout.dawg

CoinTracker.com might help with your decision...I'd keep it.

Tilar

I'd keep it (or sell it) unless it's a steel penny. Many can be worth up to $6. If it's steel, You need to carefully package it up and send it to me.  :yesnod:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

steel was 43 I think....I got a couple here

green69rt

You didn't say if there is a mint mark under the date but all the 1944 pennies are pretty common.  It's not an investment but it may be a good gift for someone born in 1944.  Put it in a nice frame and search the net for the history of the Lincoln cent and add that as documentation.  Nice little gift.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 68X426 on July 06, 2013, 02:18:45 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2013, 06:16:27 PM
Keep it.

Invest it. Eventually you'll have a nickel.

:yesnod:

It's worth 1.5 cents now, he's a quarter of the way already. :rofl:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Tilar

Quote from: A383Wing on July 05, 2013, 07:45:20 PM
steel was 43 I think....I got a couple here

43 were zinc coated. The 44 steel penny was never intended to be released but a few got out. That's why they are valued so high.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Chargerguy74

Before Canada turfed the penny I used to sort out copper pennies (up to 1996 pennies). At the time their copper melt value was about $0.03. Pretty good ROI if you ask me. I've heard of the steel Penny and its value. One day I dumped a role to find an American steel penny and I freaked out!!! I was sure I just found a $20K+ penny....but it was a '43, I guess they weren't worth much lol. Now a silver dime in a roll of pennies, that's a nice surprise.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

green69rt

As above, the 1943 pennies are zinc coated steel, copper was needed for the war effort.  1944 thru 1946 were made from old shell casings (where'd they get them  :shruggy:).  One of the rariest pennies is the 1943 copper penny, not many exist and worth thousands.

US Coin Guide lists all the 1944 pennies as worth $0.05 to $0.75 unless it is in shiny mint condition.  There is one type worth more, the mint struck some 1944 pennies with a D over the S mint mark,  It's called a 1944 D/S and they start at $50 and go up to several thousand a coin depending on condition.

Probably more than most people want to know, huh?

Paul G

Quote from: green69rt on July 05, 2013, 09:06:24 PM
You didn't say if there is a mint mark under the date but all the 1944 pennies are pretty common. 

There is a mark below the date. It looks like an S. Had to get out the magnifying glass to see it. The penny is well worn.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

bull

I usually keep all the "wheat back" pennies I find. Not sure why but apparently they mean something to me.

Todd Wilson

Its a keeper! I go for a year or more and don't find one and then it seems like I find one every month for a while and then nothing.

Todd

Chargerguy74

I keep all the US pennies I find up to and including 1982. We used to see a lot of them up here before their use was discontinued. You guys see a few Canadian pennies down there? Feel like you got ripped off when you get one in your change?
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

mauve66

Quote from: bull on July 06, 2013, 11:05:15 PM
I usually keep all the "wheat back" pennies I find. Not sure why but apparently they mean something to me.

in your unconscious that's when the aliens abducted you, that's why it means something............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

cudaken

Last year a change machine at Wall-greens spit out a 1896 Indian Head Penny in my change! I looked at it funny when I picked it up, the young clerk asked me "Do you want a different penny? :rofl: Same year I found a Buffalo nickel in my change, 1926 but I think the date was raised with acid.   

All so look for Silver Nickels, made from 1942-1945. I have a few.

Cuda Ken   
I am back

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on July 07, 2013, 02:37:18 PM
I keep all the US pennies I find up to and including 1982. We used to see a lot of them up here before their use was discontinued. You guys see a few Canadian pennies down there? Feel like you got ripped off when you get one in your change?

Every once in a while I will get a Canada coin  in my change!

Todd

stripedelete

Quote from: cudaken on July 07, 2013, 10:36:11 PM
Last year a change machine at Wall-greens spit out a 1896 Indian Head Penny in my change! I looked at it funny when I picked it up, the young clerk asked me "Do you want a different penny? :rofl: Same year I found a Buffalo nickel in my change, 1926 but I think the date was raised with acid.   

Cuda Ken   

Got a Buffalo nickel earlier this year too.  Date was gone.  Did they all have dates?

With the exception of wheat pennies, I would say most all silver and rare coins get put back into circulation when junior gets into grandpa's top drawer for candy/ice cream money.   

green69rt

Quote from: stripedelete on July 08, 2013, 12:32:39 AM

Cuda Ken   

Got a Buffalo nickel earlier this year too.  Date was gone.  Did they all have dates?

With the exception of wheat pennies, I would say most all silver and rare coins get put back into circulation when junior gets into grandpa's top drawer for candy/ice cream money.   

Yeah all buffalo nickels had dates.  But the way they are made, with the date in a somewhat raised position, makes the date disappear faster.

Chad L. Magee

Man, I go on vacation and I see I missed a coin post! (@#$&!)

As others have already said, the 1944-s cent is not worth much unless either very high grade or a mint error (wrong metal type).  There is a collector who has a complete set of each possible type of wrong metal cent errors from 1943 and 1944.  One of them cost him six figures to get, but I don't remember which one it was.  His collection is also a top grade consenus set, meaning that he has the highest (or second highest) ones around that have been professionally graded by PCGS.  Most of the wheat cents that are common date (1940-1958 era) are worth about 5 to 10 cents each, depending upon who is buying and selling.  Earlier dated ones can be worth much more, but it really depends upon the date, the mintmark, and the condition of the coin when it comes to those.  Many coin dealers buy wheat cents in bulk and will pay between two and three cents per coin when you sell, as they have to make a profeit on them too.

As for the buffalo nickels (1913 to 1938), yes the dates wear off easily due to the overall design.  Since the coin is made up of nickel (25%) and copper (75%), it can be reacted with hydrochloric acid solution to 'regain' the lost date (or mintmarks).  However, this drops the value of the coin down to a AG-Fair grade automatically, so it becomes a filler at best in peoples' collections.  If you are just starting a kid out in coin collecting, that can be a good way to get them interested without spending big $ on it.  There is one date on the Buffalo nickels that you can tell without needing to acid-date them.  Early versions of 1913 had a raised mound on the back that the Buffalos stands on, which is refered to as a Type I.  The design was changed mid-year to the flat plain version to reduce wear on the dies and coins.
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Chad L. Magee

The Buffalo nickels were not the only US coins to have a missing date problem due to wear issues in the design.  Standing Liberty quarters (1916-1930) also suffered from this, but due to their 90% silver composition, hydrochloric acid will not bring back the date.  I am working on figuring out what exact acid combination would work and how it can be applied for this to be done.  Early date (1916-1924) quarters are very hard to find with the full date, but the later years are easier as they slightly recessed the date in enough to prevent the date from being completely worn off so fast.  There is a Type I and a Type II version of the coin (the first version had a bare brested Liberty, 1916 to early 1917).  Even a poor grade 1916 can be worth thousands of dollars as there were only 52,000 of those minted (if I am remembering right).  I pulled one out of a dealers silver junk box twenty years ago for $1.25, as the dealer thought it was just another dateless SLQ that he was selling for 5X face value (based on $4.50/oz. silver).  If you look closely, there is ways to tell a 1916 from a 1917 Type I.  He just did not want to bother with it, as he had probably 5,000 of the SLQs in the box at the time.  This is a lesson that sometimes persistance can pay off, but you must be willing to try hard to do so.....

If you want to have some real fun with US coins, look at the ones that are pre-civil war era (ie. large cents, my specialty).  We even had half cents at the time too......

A383Wing

I got lots of coins here, almost a full set of Kennedy Half Dollars...1800's coins, pennies from before the '30s...

I may have to dig through them and see what all I got

Bryan

Chad L. Magee

Cuda Ken   

I hoped you kept it, as that is a good find.  I think there is a varity of 1896 indian cents that can be valuable, but I am far from an expert on those.  The earliest cent that I have gotten in change was a 1859 indian cent in very poor (Fr2) condition, worth a few bucks at best.  This was over in Columbia, Missouri about ten years ago.  It was very corroded and dark, likely a ground find from a metal detector that was dumped in with regular change at the bank....

Ram07

Its not worth much...varies of the condition of course...in poor condition, it's worth 15 cents, in mint condition $8

Chryco Psycho

What I find funny is in Canada we simply accept Can & US coin as currency but in the US there is no acceptance of the canadian coins , just frame of mind I guess

Paul G

I can remember getting Canadian coins as change back when I was a kid. It was the coolest thing to get money from another country. Never had any trouble spending it at the dime store. 

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 23, 2013, 12:11:38 PM
What I find funny is in Canada we simply accept Can & US coin as currency but in the US there is no acceptance of the canadian coins , just frame of mind I guess

Yes, I have seen that happen time and again when Canadian money pops up in change here in America.  I always kept the Canadian coins that recieved in change, mostly older copper cents and nickels.  I have probably $10-15 face value in silver Canadian currency that I ended up with in the bank deposit box.  The local coin dealers did not want to try to bother with it (customers can be picky on what they collect), so they made me package deals on them for 1.5X face value just to get rid of them.  Regular common American silver coins were 5X face value at the time ($4/oz. silver spot), so I bought them for the silver content value.  I did end up with a 1858 Canadian half dime in the mix (first year of that type coin in Canada).... 

Steve P.

My grandfather saved them and got me started. I have a box of them around here that I did out and look through every now and then.. I have no clue if they are worth anything, but they remind me of my grandfather.. That's worth it to me..  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

moparstuart

i'm getting ready to make the grille shell for my nash out of pennys , I have enought wheat pennys to
make a ring with them to go around the NASH winged emblem  . the rest will be a combination of new and old polished and tarnished  . Then i will clear coat them all .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: moparstuart on July 25, 2013, 03:21:36 PM
i'm getting ready to make the grille shell for my nash out of pennys , I have enought wheat pennys to
make a ring with them to go around the NASH winged emblem  . the rest will be a combination of new and old polished and tarnished  . Then i will clear coat them all .

Good idea!  Let me know if you need more wheat cents for it when you do it.  You could also use Mercury dimes (1916-1945), but being 90% silver, they cost more ($2 each).  Years ago (back when gold was less than $300/oz.), I wanted to build a 32 5 window coupe hot rod project and use a St. Gaudiens $20 gold piece for the hood ornament.  I have seen a $10 Indian used that way on a similar car which gave it a unique look.  I still have the project in mind, but it is on a back burner for now....

green69rt

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 25, 2013, 04:29:32 PM

Good idea!  Let me know if you need more wheat cents for it when you do it.  You could also use Mercury dimes (1916-1945), but being 90% silver, they cost more ($2 each).  Years ago (back when gold was less than $300/oz.), I wanted to build a 32 5 window coupe hot rod project and use a St. Gaudiens $20 gold piece for the hood ornament.  I have seen a $10 Indian used that way on a similar car which gave it a unique look.  I still have the project in mind, but it is on a back burner for now....

That would have been a nice $1300 hood ornament!!

JB400

I've seen a few cool pieces of artwork at flea markets and household auctions that used all the same year of pennies.  It'd be a cool piece if using vintage pennies.  Looking forward to seeing Stu's one of many projects :popcrn:

moparstuart

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 25, 2013, 04:29:32 PM
make a ring with them to go around the NASH winged emblem  . the rest will be a combination of new and old polished and tarnished  . Then i will clear coat them all .

Good idea!  Let me know if you need more wheat cents for it when you do it.  You could also use Mercury dimes (1916-1945), but being 90% silver, they cost more ($2 each).  Years ago (back when gold was less than $300/oz.), I wanted to build a 32 5 window coupe hot rod project and use a St. Gaudiens $20 gold piece for the hood ornament.  I have seen a $10 Indian used that way on a similar car which gave it a unique look.  I still have the project in mind, but it is on a back burner for now....

Chad L. Magee

Cool!  That will definately make your car stand out in a car show.  I can see a design of one row of wheat cents, one row of Mercury dimes and then another row of wheat cents down the sides.  You could even alternate the dimes from obverse to reverse to obverse.  The silver will tarnish with exposure, so you could either polish them (and clear coat) to keep them shiny or leave them dark on purpose.  Just an idea that popped into my head while looking at the photos.   I can't wait to see what you do with it.....

Chad L. Magee

green69rt-

I could have bought a common date original VF-EF $20 St. Gaudien for $320 at the time ($25 over scrap), but never got seriously started on the project.  I was just too busy with grad school at the time.  Many dates of St. Gaudiens are still sold as bullion coins in the lower grades.  Different story above MS63.  (Nowdays the mint sells a modern St. Gaudiens bullion $50 coin but it is just not the same.)  I knew bullion gold was going to go up so it would not be a loss to use it in this way.  I was also going to use silver 1 oz. bullion art bars and Morgan silver dollars on the side boards to climb into the car.  Yes, I like precious metals a bit....

moparstuart

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 26, 2013, 10:17:03 AM
Cool!  That will definately make your car stand out in a car show.  I can see a design of one row of wheat cents, one row of Mercury dimes and then another row of wheat cents down the sides.  You could even alternate the dimes from obverse to reverse to obverse.  The silver will tarnish with exposure, so you could either polish them (and clear coat) to keep them shiny or leave them dark on purpose.  Just an idea that popped into my head while looking at the photos.   I can't wait to see what you do with it.....
My orinament is a little different too  , the 34 chevy grille currently on the car is going away

moparstuart

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on July 25, 2013, 09:35:36 PM
I've seen a few cool pieces of artwork at flea markets and household auctions that used all the same year of pennies.  It'd be a cool piece if using vintage pennies.  Looking forward to seeing Stu's one of many projects :popcrn:
i want to have a mix of all year pennys including new ones for the year i made it . , as i see it being on the car for many years to come .

70moparman

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 05, 2013, 07:17:24 PM
Tell your wife/girlfriend that a 69 year old penny is a sign of something to do later on.
LOL  :smilielol:

70moparman

I keep all the wheat pennies I find in circulation, have since I was a kid, I have hundreds of them... They are not worth much, but they are worth more than face value... The two wheat pennies to look for is a 1914 D (Denver mint mark) and a 1922 plain (no mint mark- Philadelphia) ~ They were minted in limited numbers and command good $$$, especially the '22 plain.    :hah: :Twocents: 

moparstuart

Steve P.

How much is it worth now?????  lol......  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

moparstuart

Quote from: Steve P. on August 02, 2013, 02:27:57 PM
How much is it worth now?????  lol......  ;)
LOL less then when i started  but it covered up all the rust pits and holes and two large cracks   

after sitting in a field in south dakota for 70 years