News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 69 year old penny

Started by Paul G, July 05, 2013, 05:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Pulled a 1944 wheat back penny out of my pocket today. Is it something to stash away? Or just put back in my pocket?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

JB400

If you're a collector, keep it.  If not, spend it.  Personally, I'd keep it just for the nostalgia

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

69rtse4spd

Yep keep it, hey the thousand post mark. do I win anything.  :lol:.

A383Wing

you can have Paul's penny...

or this

69rtse4spd

I'll take the penny, class two diabetic. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Tell your wife/girlfriend that a 69 year old penny is a sign of something to do later on.

burnout.dawg

CoinTracker.com might help with your decision...I'd keep it.

Tilar

I'd keep it (or sell it) unless it's a steel penny. Many can be worth up to $6. If it's steel, You need to carefully package it up and send it to me.  :yesnod:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

steel was 43 I think....I got a couple here

green69rt

You didn't say if there is a mint mark under the date but all the 1944 pennies are pretty common.  It's not an investment but it may be a good gift for someone born in 1944.  Put it in a nice frame and search the net for the history of the Lincoln cent and add that as documentation.  Nice little gift.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 68X426 on July 06, 2013, 02:18:45 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 05, 2013, 06:16:27 PM
Keep it.

Invest it. Eventually you'll have a nickel.

:yesnod:

It's worth 1.5 cents now, he's a quarter of the way already. :rofl:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Tilar

Quote from: A383Wing on July 05, 2013, 07:45:20 PM
steel was 43 I think....I got a couple here

43 were zinc coated. The 44 steel penny was never intended to be released but a few got out. That's why they are valued so high.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Chargerguy74

Before Canada turfed the penny I used to sort out copper pennies (up to 1996 pennies). At the time their copper melt value was about $0.03. Pretty good ROI if you ask me. I've heard of the steel Penny and its value. One day I dumped a role to find an American steel penny and I freaked out!!! I was sure I just found a $20K+ penny....but it was a '43, I guess they weren't worth much lol. Now a silver dime in a roll of pennies, that's a nice surprise.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

green69rt

As above, the 1943 pennies are zinc coated steel, copper was needed for the war effort.  1944 thru 1946 were made from old shell casings (where'd they get them  :shruggy:).  One of the rariest pennies is the 1943 copper penny, not many exist and worth thousands.

US Coin Guide lists all the 1944 pennies as worth $0.05 to $0.75 unless it is in shiny mint condition.  There is one type worth more, the mint struck some 1944 pennies with a D over the S mint mark,  It's called a 1944 D/S and they start at $50 and go up to several thousand a coin depending on condition.

Probably more than most people want to know, huh?

Paul G

Quote from: green69rt on July 05, 2013, 09:06:24 PM
You didn't say if there is a mint mark under the date but all the 1944 pennies are pretty common. 

There is a mark below the date. It looks like an S. Had to get out the magnifying glass to see it. The penny is well worn.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

bull

I usually keep all the "wheat back" pennies I find. Not sure why but apparently they mean something to me.

Todd Wilson

Its a keeper! I go for a year or more and don't find one and then it seems like I find one every month for a while and then nothing.

Todd

Chargerguy74

I keep all the US pennies I find up to and including 1982. We used to see a lot of them up here before their use was discontinued. You guys see a few Canadian pennies down there? Feel like you got ripped off when you get one in your change?
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

mauve66

Quote from: bull on July 06, 2013, 11:05:15 PM
I usually keep all the "wheat back" pennies I find. Not sure why but apparently they mean something to me.

in your unconscious that's when the aliens abducted you, that's why it means something............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

cudaken

Last year a change machine at Wall-greens spit out a 1896 Indian Head Penny in my change! I looked at it funny when I picked it up, the young clerk asked me "Do you want a different penny? :rofl: Same year I found a Buffalo nickel in my change, 1926 but I think the date was raised with acid.   

All so look for Silver Nickels, made from 1942-1945. I have a few.

Cuda Ken   
I am back

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on July 07, 2013, 02:37:18 PM
I keep all the US pennies I find up to and including 1982. We used to see a lot of them up here before their use was discontinued. You guys see a few Canadian pennies down there? Feel like you got ripped off when you get one in your change?

Every once in a while I will get a Canada coin  in my change!

Todd

stripedelete

Quote from: cudaken on July 07, 2013, 10:36:11 PM
Last year a change machine at Wall-greens spit out a 1896 Indian Head Penny in my change! I looked at it funny when I picked it up, the young clerk asked me "Do you want a different penny? :rofl: Same year I found a Buffalo nickel in my change, 1926 but I think the date was raised with acid.   

Cuda Ken   

Got a Buffalo nickel earlier this year too.  Date was gone.  Did they all have dates?

With the exception of wheat pennies, I would say most all silver and rare coins get put back into circulation when junior gets into grandpa's top drawer for candy/ice cream money.   

green69rt

Quote from: stripedelete on July 08, 2013, 12:32:39 AM
Quote from: cudaken on July 07, 2013, 10:36:11 PM

Cuda Ken   

Got a Buffalo nickel earlier this year too.  Date was gone.  Did they all have dates?

With the exception of wheat pennies, I would say most all silver and rare coins get put back into circulation when junior gets into grandpa's top drawer for candy/ice cream money.   

Yeah all buffalo nickels had dates.  But the way they are made, with the date in a somewhat raised position, makes the date disappear faster.