News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Coil Question

Started by Crazy Larry, February 25, 2006, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Larry

I am running a '68 Charger 440 with a Mopar electronic ignition/the usual orange high performance electronic control unit.

However, I still have a stock coil installed.

Would it make a difference in performance if I were to simply install a high performance coil like the Mopar Blaster Coil?

It seems like I'm not getting enough "oomph" off the line, maybe not enough spark?

The carb (Holley 750 cfm) is in top notch shape - only one year old and just been tuned. So the only thing that rings a bell is that flat black stock coil (maybe its overheating because the coil is burning hot to the touch after driving for 15 minutes...is that normal?).

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

greenpigs

Well the coil shouldn't be hot to the touch after 15min, I use a MSD blaster coil..with the sticker removed.  ;)

What timing are you running?
What size rear gear do you use?
Is the motor stock..killer?

This will get moved to the Tech section shortly..BTW
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Crazy Larry

The motor is not stock - it is a 1974 440 - replaced the stock 383 that cracked a crank shaft on a stunt scene during the filming of a movie.

The rear gears (although I don't know the exact ratio) are not for the line - the Charger runs very nice on the highways. So I assume the gears are a higher ratio but still the car used to get more power from start to stop.

Not sure about the timing - that is over my head. It was adjusted by the mechanics on the set of the movie a few years back and the engine has been pretty smooth ever since.

Yeah, that had me worried about the hot to the touch stock coil - I think that a quick install of a high performance coil might just be the ticket.

(Sorry about the wrong posting of this question - wasn't aware of a tech section)

y3chargerrt

What ballast resistor are you running? Might be to low a resistance for the stock coil. I upgraded to the blaster coil and ran the matching MSD resistor.

greenpigs

Good point, try the ballast resistor and if you are unsure it was replaced during the swap order one up. I think they are about $7 from Summits a cheap possible fix and not really a waste of money either way.

If spinning wrenches isn't your thing, do you have a regular mechanic?

Try doing a search here when you have some trouble as most things have been discused before, I'm not blowing you off it could be a quicker way to get answers.

As for the coil being hot, that could be from to much current going to it..which the ballast resistor helps control.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Chryco Psycho

using a high output coil can definatly help , the ignition ssytem is just a trigger system , the coil generates all the spark power

8WHEELER

I run the MSD Blaster-2 as well, with the stock moper electronic ign, works great, I painted
the Red MSD coil gloss black, nobody can possibly tell. I have run it this way for at least 6yrs.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI use a MSD blaster coil 

good coil
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Headrope

Might as well put another notch on the Blaster coil bedpost. I've had nothing but good experiences with 'em. (MSD makes the coils for Mopar Performance, btw).

Accel brand on the other hand I have not had good experience with. Had one go bad and left me stranded even though enough juice was going through that roadside diagnosis seemed to indicate it was something else. Because of where the car died the cops made me tow it home; I ended up paying $60 for a tow home, where I could swap in an MSD Blaster coil I had sitting on my bench.  It only takes about a minute to change a coil.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

TylerCharger69

Just word for thought.....I have an Accel coil...with the aftermarket electronic conversion kit,  and IF  and only IF....you aren't worried about factory appearance...I remounted my coil on the left side firewall   near the windshield washer reservoir,  to keep excessive engine heat from damaging it..seems to work exceptionally well!!      Otherwise   perhaps  too much voltage going to it?....The ballast resistor theory  is where I'd look.   The stock resistor is a 2-post  and the one that SHOULD be used  is a 4-post....at least that's what the Jegs  techs told me.   But  to add.....for a street driver....NEVER  use  one of those blue voltage regulators....It blew every  light bulb out in my car....lmao